Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

GF Strawberry Rhubarb Pie in a Jar

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is my family's favorite dessert for Easter dinner.  I decided that there was no way I was going to miss out on this treat, too.   Seeings baking desserts in mason jars is all the rage right now, I decided to go ahead and make a one serving pie for me while my family enjoyed their big pie.
I did a quick Google search to see what kinds of GF pies in jars there were.  Sadly, there were no real results.  Maybe there isn't any interest in them.  Considering how yummy this was, I am thinking that isn't the case.  Which is why I am bringing you my first pie in a jar, gluten free style.  There will be more in the future.
As always with any desserts I make for myself, I didn't use much sugar.  You can adjust this to your tastes.  In fact, I will give you a few suggestions in the recipe.  I am nice that way.  Oh and you can use a regular pie crust if you can happily enjoy gluten.  Half a single crust recipe works for each  1/2 pint jar.

Gluten Free Pie Crust: (adapted from Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food for Kids)
(enough for one 1/2 pint jar)
1/4 cup white rice flour
2 Tbsp sorghum flour
2 Tbsp tapioca flour
2 Tbsp potato starch flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp vanilla in 2 Tbsp cold water
Whisk together the dry ingredients.  Cut the butter into the flours with a pastry blender.  Stir in the vanilla water and form a ball of dough.  Press the dough into a 1/2 pint jar, across the bottom and up the sides.  Trim the excess, saving a bit for the top crust. Once filled, top the jar with a small flattened circle and pinch it around the rim to seal.  Place the jar on a cookie sheet and bake 35-45 minutes at 375 degrees or until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.

Strawberry Rhubarb Filling: (single serving)
3 medium ripe strawberries, sliced
5 inch piece of rhubarb, thinly sliced
2 tsp corn starch
1 1/2 Tbsp agave nectar (or 2 Tbsp sugar)
smidgen of salt
Stir together ingredients and spoon into the prepared 1/2 point jar.
Come join in the fun of this Bunny Hop Blog Party, co-hosted by Tara of Crock Pot Ladies, Tina of Sugar Bean Bakers, Ashley of Kitchen Meets Girl and myself.  Link up your Easter dishes and/or crafts below!!


21 comments:

Tara @ Crock-Pot Ladies said...

That is a beautiful looking dessert. I'm not a huge rhubarb fan but I would try this! Thanks for co-hosting with the Crock-Pot Ladies!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

Kristen--this looks amazing! I love how the filling is just running down the side of the jar! I've been wanting to try baking right in the jars, but haven't done it yet. But it looks like it would be totally worth it! YUM!

Red_Shallot said...

I always love individual serving desserts and this looks like flavor bombs in a jar! Love it!

Martha said...

It said "in a jar" so I had to come and look. I think baking your own dessert in a jar is a fabulous idea and am wondering why I didn't think of it.

I really need to go back to my gluten free ways, but have found myself in the rut of weakness...

CCU said...

Any anything in a jar is my weakness - but pie is the best :D
What a decadent dessert!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

maha said...

delicous dessert..nice ..n pics r just fabulous......
Maha

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

I love desserts in a jar! These are so fun, and look so good!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

I love desserts in a jar! These are so fun, and look so good!

Tina said...

I love 'in a jar' recipes!!

Sounds yummy :)

Tina

Ann said...

Oooh, Kristen - this looks terrific! I love the idea of a pie in a jar...portable, tasty and fun!

Baker Street said...

Pie in a jar is such a fantastic idea. It would make for a perfect lunch time treat.

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen said...

This is an absolutely lovely dessert - saving the recipe for my GF friends and for myself obviously!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Pie in a jar! I'm allow to eat the whole big jar right? =D No more fighting till the last piece. I can totally imagine enjoying this pie while holding warm jar... yum!

Joanne said...

This is quite a feat you've accomplished, Kristen! Looks delicious!

Holly said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Love the picture!

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet said...

I love food in jars! So cute!

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

Great idea! I haven't had great luck baking fruit pies but am hopeful baking them a in a jar will turn things around?! If not, at least it'll be cuter to eat :)

Cucina49 said...

I'm amazed at how tender and delicious that crust looks--and I love that you're serving this in a jar--it's fun and informal.

drick perry said...

ya know, rhubarb is not a southern item on many shelves, in fact, at my grocer I had yet to see it but then, I may be ove-looking it... now mason jars are lining many kitchens including mine and this idea is just great...... hope all have a very Happy Easter Weekend, and a most meaningful time in enjoying the days ahead...

Sue said...

Your pie for one is so cute! Desserts in jars are charming!

ping said...

Brilliant! And I don't have to worry about storing it if it's unfinished. I just have to put the lid on and come back to it later. Still looking for rhubarb :)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.