Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sauteed Apples (on Apple Bread Pudding)

Do you remember that Apple Strudel Bread that I made for Eating the Alphabet a few weeks ago?  Well, I promised you the recipe that the second loaf became and then I forgot.    I was looking through my "my pictures" file and realized I owed you a recipe! 

What do you do with sweet yeast bread, but make bread pudding!  Is there something else to do with it?  If so, I need to know.   Right now!  

I am totally in love with apples and bread pudding.  That's why I made a caramel apple bread pudding for my first Improv Challenge.  This new version takes it to a new level because the bread itself had apples baked into it and then I topped it with cinnamon covered sauteed apples.  I had to eat a bowl of the apples by themselves while the rest of the gang devoured the pudding.  I didn't feel deprived at all.  The apples were delicious! I am only giving you the sauteed apple recipe here, because I used the same basic recipe for this apple bread pudding as in the caramel apple bread pudding. 
Sauteed Apples
5 cooking apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
1 stick butter
1/3 cup agave nectar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
Heat butter in a skillet until melted.  Add the apples and cook until soft and slightly translucent.  Add the agave, cinnamon and salt.  Continue cooking a few minutes more so that the butter and agave thicken a bit.  Stir frequently to keep the apples from sticking.  Serve over bread pudding, ice cream, shortcake, pound cake, or by themselves.  Whipped cream is good, too!

17 comments:

Gloria said...

Wow ! This look amazing!

yummychunklet said...

The apples make it healthy. Bookmarked!

Sue said...

I'm ready to do this right now~sounds(and looks) DELICIOUS!!!

scratch-made wife said...

I can't help but think of my pa when I hear "bread pudding." I think he has to try it every single time he sees it on a restaurant menu. And the husband can't seem to get enough of sauteed apples lately. Every time we go out, he orders them with dinner to eat as his dessert. This looks like a winner to me!

Balvinder Ubi said...

I make bread pudding for myself when my bread gets stale. I just love everything where there is cream. You know I eat whipped cream from my daughter's hot chocolate. i will try the strudel bread.

drick perry said...

yes, love a good bread pudding, esp the ol creole versions. Bet one with your caramelized apples are to die for...

ping said...

Why bother with other ideas? This is great! I can have this anytime with a variation of accompaniments ... ice cream, custard, warm milk ... yum!

wok with ray said...

Oh my, this looks so good, Kristen. I wouldn't mind having two(large) servings of this treat.

Asmita said...

This looks amazing! Love bread puddings , just never attempted making it at home yet. I should try this recipe, yummy!!!

Aarthi said...

yummy recipe

Aarthi
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

This will be a go to recipe this fall when we start harvesting the apples in our orchard. Delicious!

Kathy Mercure said...

OMG! I happen to have a bag of frozen apples from last year's picking that I was going to use for overnight oatmeal, but this recipe might trump that idea! I absolutely love bread pudding, and I love caramel apple. It will be tough to decide which of your two yummy recipes to use. Thanks!

Katerina said...

I love apples too and I always try to find new ways to make them! And now you have given me not one but two lovely recipes to enjoy them!

Gourmantine said...

This just got me thinking that I don't make brad puddings often enough, especially as they are so easy. This looks delicious to say the least :)

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

These look delicious! I love the idea of them over ice cream!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

1 stick of butter!? That's my kind of recipe! Hang in there - you'll be eating gluten free bread pudding in no time!

Magic of Spice said...

Oh goodness, how delectable is that! I love bread puddings and adore apple in baked desserts...Love it!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.