Friday, March 9, 2012

Saucy Buffalo Chicken and Rice

My second son, The Thinker, loves hot sauces.  And salt.  He salts ham.  He puts hot sauce on macaroni and cheese.  Often, the cook gets her nose out of joint because he wants to put hot sauce on things that just don't deserve such harsh treatment.  However, I am nothing if not accommodating.    Hence this dish was created just for him.
Let it be known here and now that I am a complete wimp when it comes to spicy foods.  When we visit restaurants that have a hot scale of chiles on the menu, I opt for one...or half of one.  My family members just shakes their heads and order three chile items.  Making a Buffalo chicken anything was really reaching for me.
In fact, you may want to kick it up three or four notches according to your own tastes.  No one complained that this dish was too weak, but then, no one was running to the fridge for a glass of milk.  I think it was just right.
Saucy Buffalo Chicken and Rice:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 8 ounce brick cream cheese
1 3-4 ounce container crumbled blue cheese
1/3 cup hot sauce (like Frank's Red Hot Sauce)
salt and pepper to taste 
cooked rice
In a deep skillet, heat oil.  Cook chicken along with onion and celery  until thoroughly cooked.  Add cream cheese and blue cheese, cooking and stirring until melted and creamy.  Add hot sauce and blend well.  Season to taste.  Serve over hot, cooked rice.


Marina said...

Kristen, I love your story for this post! I was reading it and smiling: I have one in the family too who puts ketchup on anything...:)
Kristen, what do you think about sour cream instead of cream cheese (that's what I have available)? My men would love this dish, of course, the teenager would top it with some ketchup! Have a great weekend!

Joyce cooks chicken said...

Lovely recipe, perfect for family meal :) lol and we do not need ketchup on it haha :):)

Sue said...

What a sweet momma you are:) I think I would like this dish...a lot:) It looks so creamy!

Joanne said...

I'm kind of a major hot sauce lover so this just sounds awesome!

scratch-made wife said...

That looks soooo tasty! I'm a huge wimp when it comes to hot stuff, but I've recently developed a love for Frank's Red Hot Wing sauce. That isn't too hot for me. You should give it a try. :)

chacha said...

Sweet post and awesome recipe - I know my guys will love it.

drick perry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
drick perry said...

wow, 1/3 cup? that is a lot for you I know, your taste must be changing... great photos Kristen, really really nice

yummychunklet said...

This looks delicious, especially the great sounding sauce!

Aarthi said...

wow..awesome recipe


Choc Chip Uru said...

This sounds wonderful for my brother - with his birthday tomorrow maybe I can make him 2 dishes :D

Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Tropical Caramelised Baked German Pancake

Ann said...

YUM! I love wings and honey bunny likes hot sauce on just about everything!

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Oh my goodness - this looks SO delicious - a real winner - my girls will love this
Mary x

Elpiniki said...

Sounds and looks delicious!!

Lizzy said...

My youngest is a salt lover, too...I think he gets that from his mama! Your recipe sounds wonderful...and since I'm the only one who likes a lot of heat, I think your toned down recipe would be perfect for my family :)

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits said...

Never thought to make a saucy buffalo chicken to put over rice- what a GREAT idea! I am kind of a wimp too with spicy stuff but my hubby likes it :) He would love this!

Katerina said...

My stomach cannot really withstand very hot food! I love this saucy chicken, but I would have to lighten it up hotwise!

Blackswan said...

Thks for the heart-warming post! Your kid must be so proud of u :) This is such a lovely dish!

Kristen, I've been nominated for this Int'l Women's Day. Appreciate if you could support this event & click on "Like" @ Support International Women's Day! Thks, dear!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.