Thursday, March 8, 2012

Reeses Popcorn: Blog Swapping with the Lunatic

You are in for a real treat today, folks.  I am swapping blogs with Kim from Cravings of a Lunatic today.  It's a mutual, simultaneous guest blog, but that's harder to say three times fast while chewing gum, so we call it swapping blogs.
Kim is one of my most favorite people to visit.  Not only is she hilarious, but she makes the most decadent, wonderful food.    Tell me you know who I am talking about.  If you don't, you are seriously missing out.  Seriously.  She has an entire section of pizza recipes, she makes homemade ice cream that puts the multi-flavor chains to shame, she comes up with the best food in JARS and I am still drooling over her smoked mozzarella and ham sandwich.  So, without further ado, I give you Ms. Lunatic herself:

Hi folks. I am Kim, the lady who runs the asylum over at Cravingsof a Lunatic. I am so excited to be here today. Kristen and I are blog swapping. I have to say blog swapping is oodles of fun. It’s like taking a new car out for a test drive. You know you are going to buy the one that suits you best but man isn’t it fun to try out the other ones just for fun. Kristen’s blog is like a Ford Harley Davidson limited edition truck. It’s got all the bells and whistles but it’s practical, useful and dependable. Much like Kristen’s cooking. She does frugality well, but she has a blast doing it. She takes you on an adventure and you have so much fun learning how to do new things. Blog swapping is a bit like going 4 wheeling and squealing like Lunatics at how much fun it is to spin, slide and make a mess. Then you bring it back to the dealer and grin sheepishly and get back in your minivan and drive off. What? Like you’ve never done that?

I have to tell you Kristen is a remarkable lady. She made me Turtle Buns. I was so floored and touched that she would do something so thoughtful and personal. She upped the bar on guest posting with this one. I knew I had to do something outstanding for her. Something that would blow her mind. Something that she would never think I would do. Something completely unexpected and out of this world. So I poured over the internet and cookbooks trying to come up with something unique and different. Then my life blew up into it’s usual chaos and nonsense and I was scrambling at the last minute to make something for her. I could not decide so I made three things and decided to pick the cream of the crop out of those three. Yes my name is Kim and I have perfectionist issues. It’s why I live in an asylum. So here it is Kristen, and her wonderful readers. This is where a Lunatic’s mind goes when she needs comfort food. I’d apologize but I don’t even feel a little bit bad. 

Reese’s Popcorn (inspired by Paula Deen's Chocolate Celebration):
6 cups popped popcorn
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup corn syrup
3 heaping tablespoons peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
Leftover chocolate from Christmas- I used 15 squares of Icy Squares melted in a double boiler
Pop your popcorn ahead of time. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place popcorn in a large roasting pan. Now in a saucepan combine the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup and cook over medium heat until it boils. Let it boil for about 5 minutes. Now remove from heat and add your salt, vanilla and peanut butter. Mix well. Let this cool for about 3 to 5 minutes so it does not shrink your popcorn when pouring it over. Once cooled pour the mixture over the popcorn and stir until well coated. Bake this in your 200 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Transfer to a parchment lined cookie sheet and leave out to dry and cool. After it’s dry melt your chocolate in a double boiler over medium heat until it’s smooth. Now drizzle this over the popcorn. Let stand until chocolate hardens. Flip over and repeat on the other side. Let it dry out and cool for another 30 or so minutes. Serve with a big old peanut buttery, chocolately smile!

Thank you so much to Kristen for allowing me to take her blog for a test drive. I like it so much here I might not give the keys back. I promise I did not leave the tank empty or gum under any seats. Cuz that’s just wrong. 

I look forward to meeting Kristen in one week and one day. I am off to a conference in her native Florida next week. I am looking forward to meeting her in person and getting into all kinds of trouble while we’re there. It’s going to be so nice to be warm for a change as well. Canada is freaking cold and wet. I am oddly most looking forward to eating an orange in Florida. I know right. How weird am I? Hello, Lunatic remember. I love oranges and am going to revel a bit in eating a Florida orange in Florida. Yup, all kinds of problems, it’s why they keep me here in the asylum. Hope you come visit. ~Toodles and smoochies! xx
Isn't Kim grand?  Did you notice she compared me to a pick-up truck?  I love her to pieces even her analogies.  You can check out those Turtle Buns she mentioned over at her site. Here's a sneak peak.


Kim Bee said...

Oy I must have been so overtired this week. Did I really compare you to a pickup truck? I seriously need an intervention. Luckily that is one kick butt pick up truck.

Thanks so much for doing this with me Kristen. I had so much fun with it. As you can tell. The turtle buns are to die for and I am still so touched and overwhelmed you made me something so personal. Then I compared you to a pickup. Seriously, I think in need of professional help.

Cannot wait to meet you next week. So excited and just a little bit nervous. I'm sure after driving for 19 hours there will be more of this nonsensical rambling I tend to do.xx

Aarthi said...

Awesome Recipe Dear..Bookmarking it to try soon..


yummychunklet said...

Wow. That popcorn looks delicious!

Ann said...

The popcorn looks marvelous and I LOVE the truck analogy! It'll be a blast in Florida!

wok with ray said...

My goodness, I can't get over the look of these popcorns. Now I am craving for them. Thank you for sharing. :)

Little Housewife said...

The idea of sweet popcorn was always kind of weird to me, although I did recently tried toffee peanuts and they were delicious, I think I need to start being more open minded to snacks. This is definitely going to be a hit for my hubby on our Sunday Movie Night. Thanks for posting, wishing you all the best!

Anita at Hungry Couple said...

You had me at 'heaping tablespoons of peanut butter' :)

✿Sie✿ said...

yummy kids would love this..thank you for sharing ;)

Vianney Rodriguez said...

How fun!! and such a sweet snack!!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I love popcorn with chocolate and all kinds of flavors but I always buy them. I guess it's not that hard to make after reading Kim's recipe! I enjoy both of your blogs and it's wonderful to see the friendship between you two. I bet you will have a blast meeting each other in person! Enjoy!!

Joanne said...

What a super fun concept to swap blogs like this! And a majorly delicious popcorn. Reese's makes just about everything a gazillion times more delicious.

Tina said...

I love your analogy here Kim-it truly says how much fun you are having with the blog swap. I buzzed this one yesterday. I am about ready for a popcorn-a-palooza after seeing this. Delicious flavors!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

Holy Popcorn!! That is amazing! Chocolate, Peanut butter, and popcorn - 3 of my favorite things!

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

It's nice to 'meet' you, Kim. I'm looking forward to visiting your blog. That popcorn looks amazing - what a wonderful treat! Although I've had guest posts on my blog before, I've never done a blog sounds like really good fun!

Jenn Kendall said...

great post! this looks like the best bowl of popcorn i could possibly imagine...i need to make this soon!

Kim Bee said...

Thanks everyone. I had a blast working with Kristen on this one. She is such a great lady. Glad you all liked this.

Lizzy said...

I think this is the only food blog I've read this week mentioning pickup, wait...I just came from the asylum! Too funny. What a great recipe, Kim...and loved yours, too, Kristen!!!

Have a blast next week...and think of me shivering up north :) xo

The Harried Cook said...

Great guest post from my favorite lunatic :) :) This sounds absolutely, sinfully delicious, Kim!

Thanks, Kristen!

gobakeyourself said...

What an awesome post :D
But just one thing - I think it is very mean of you to mention this kind of popcorn when I have brushed my teeth and am in bed. Why would you do this to me, why!!
Genius recipe :D

Choc Chip Uru

Free Spirit Eater said...

Congratulations on making Top 9 with Kim on that fabulous turtle roll! It looks AMAZING!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend. And Kim this popcorn looks delish! =]

Suzi said...

Looks really yummy, not sure I could wait for it cool though, I would probably start in right away, LOL.

Tiffanee said...

Now that is just packed with tons of deliciousness!!

easyfoodsmith said...

Hi Kristen! Loved your sinfully delicious post at Kim's.
My daughter is going bonkers over these popcorns! She wants me to make them right away for her!!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.