Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Moroccan Stew

 I am not sure which I am more happy about, this stew or the Pier 1 plate that I found at a thrift store for $1. I really love a bargain, but I also love a quick, delicious meal that is good for me, too!
My mom was given this recipe back in the 1980s.  I don't know whether it is authentically Moroccan.  However, the mix of spices in it gives it an exotic taste.  You can substitute the beef for chicken, lamb or pork, or none at all.  If you want to go the purely veggie route, just increase the amount of chickpeas.
My husband is not big on sweet, sour or oddly spiced main dishes.  He grew up in a strictly meat and potatoes kind of house and he has done his darnedest over the last 24 years to get me to bland out our food (if you haven't noticed, it has not worked....at all).  However, when he took a bite of this dish, he liked it a lot.  Everything was subtle enough that he ate it all with enthusiasm. telling me that I could definitely make this dish again.   I served it with rice, but it could stand alone in a bowl or go over noodles, quinoa, or any other grain.
Moroccan Stew: 
1 pound meat, cubed
2 onion, chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup peanuts
1 6 ounce can unsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 cup water
1 14.5 ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp basil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
In a large skillet, soften the onions in the olive oil.  Add the meat and cook until mostly done.  Add the carrots, celery, chickpeas, raisins and peanuts.  Cook on medium, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are crisp-tender.  Add the remaining ingredients, stirring to combine.  Cover, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes.  Serve over cooked rice or by itself.

22 comments:

Marina said...

I always wanted to make Moroccan stew. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll try it. My husband is the same when it comes to sweet taste in the main dishes. :) But I can see how tomatoes and pineapple adjust the sweetness in it. Come see what I cooked! Have a great week!

ping said...

Who knows what authentic is these days with so many cross cultures Even each family within the same culture does the same dish slightly different. I love this, Moroccan or not.

Aarthi said...

wow..awesome recipe

Aarthi
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

Terry said...

Sounds yummy! Good to know its hubby approved. Must try!

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Sounds DELICIOUS and I have all the ingredients "SO I'M MAKING IT TONIGHT"!!! YUMMMMMMY!!! I LOVE that dish you scored for a dollar. It would have followed me home too, hehe! Is your hubby and his bland taste Irish? I go through that with my Dad! So hard to get him to taste ANYTHING that doesn't involve a potato...
Have a wonderful week and Thank you for the recipe!
Hugs,
Donna

Choc Chip Uru said...

Maybe subbing in a little soy, these look divine - love the middle eastern flavours :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Tina said...

I have never seen a recipe for this and have never eaten it. However, I do like this ingredient list and glad to read that the spices are subtle. I like spicy food, but it is not for every day in this house. This does look like something that the hubby and I would enjoy-thanks for sharing this one. Also, the plate is a spectacular shade of blue!

yummychunklet said...

Your photos are spectacular. I could reach right out and grab a bowl!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I've been to a Moroccan restaurant 2 times so I am not familiar with the cuisine at all, but from the photo and recipe, it looks really delicious! And really, $1 for that beautiful blue plate? That's a great buy!

drick perry said...

why have you kept the recipe to yourself??? my mother made one, but back in the sixties, I can remember the taste being so similar as to what yours reads... she called hers something like Tangine Lamb Stew (but I know she used beef) ... This one I am moving up on my 'To-Do-Kristen-List'...
Reminds me of how I need to pick op a few dishes for photos... and speaking of such, you can stop it now with the beautiful photography... so much better than magazine covers... very impressive, so proud of you...

Claudia said...

I love all the spices used and I really, really like the pineapple juice. It does seem very balanced in terms of texture and flavor (happy husbands!)- and pretty accessible. The dollar plate - what a sweet deal!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

$1!? That's crazy cool!!

Joanne said...

I've always kind of thought that it's impossible to NOT love moroccan food. It's spiced but in a subtle, addictive way. This sounds so delicious!

Tya @ Note Etc. said...

this is fabulous dish and looks delicious, any kind of stew always perfect to served with rice

Emily said...

This looks delicious. I think the added raisins and peanuts sound delicious. I also love the plate. Blue is my favorite color and at $1 a steal!

raquel@eRecipe.com said...

Authentic or not as long as it is delicious I'm okay with it. Thanks for sharing =)

Cucina49 said...

It's amazing how much good spices can elevate basic ingredients. And I too love a bargain!

Jenn Kendall said...

i love getting a good bargain too :) and this sounds like a truly delicious meal! bookmarking this!

Lizzy said...

My hubby sounds a lot like yours...so maybe he would like this??? I can hope :) And great deal on the plate...it's beautiful!

Ann said...

Ooh, this sounds amazing and Honey Bunny would LOVE it! The dish is FAB...and so are you pictures!

The Harried Cook said...

Yummy! This looks delicious - and I think at the end of the day, taste trumps 'authenticness' :) I am so happy you shared this recipe!

Judy said...

This looks so yummy, though I would have the same concerns you did about your hubby. worth a try.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.