Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mediterranean Potato Tomato Bake: Holiday Recipes

Seriously, folks, this may just be the craziest blogging day of my life.  I have no less than three challenges posting today.  I can just hope this does not happen often.  First off, it's the 15th, so automatically it's Eating the Alphabet day.  Next, it's the third Thursday of the month, so it's my very own Improv Challenge day.  On top of that, it is almost St. Patrick's day, so it's Holiday Recipe Club day, too.  Now, add to that, the fact that I will be on a field trip with my Kindergartener for most of the day and who knows what things will run amok!  Honestly, I will be afraid to check my email by the time I get home.



Anyway, this is the first of the posts to publish today, so this is the one with all of my worries and woes listed.  I promise that if you are so sweet as to come back and read all three, you will find no other whines.

I really planned to make something Irish. ~you know, for St. Patrick's day and all.  However, I went to the library last week and checked out the most gorgeous book, Potato and Rice over which I have drooled for hours.  I found a dish from which I gathered my inspiration for this one.

I must say, this was not well received by the majority of my children.  For some reason, 4/5 of them do not like fresh tomatoes...or cooked sliced ones either.  They had no problem with the flavor, the potatoes or the onions...just the beautiful red tomatoes.  I bribed most of them with promises of cupcakes.  The last one, my gagger, just managed to eat half the tomatoes.  I knew not to push it with him.    Anyway, I loved them and happily ate the leftovers for breakfast the next morning.  The only thing I would do differently is place the onions between the tomatoes and potatoes, not under them.  I think they would have been better slightly carmelized.
Mediterranean Potato Tomato Bake (adapted from Potato and Rice)
4 medium potatoes, scrubbed
2 large tomatoes
1 yellow or red onion
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup water
salt and pepper
Slice the potatoes, tomatoes and onion as thin as you can.  Pour 1 Tbsp olive oil into the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish.  Separate the onion in to rings and layer it on the oil.  Arrange the potatoes and tomatoes alternately around the dish, filling in the middle as pretty as you can manage.  Sprinkle with herbs and cheese. Drizzle with remaining oil.  Pour the water around the edges.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until the potatoes are done.





13 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

Sounds like a whirlwind - wouldn't mind to come help you eat this!

ping said...

Haha! The gagger! There's always one in the family :)
Not to worry. I'm sure things will turn out just fine. And I'm happy to say that I might just make it on time for this month's Improv :)

Lizzy said...

And I thought TWO was crazy! You win! I combined mine since the ingredients were so similar. Your dish looks DELISH...and I'd happily eat all the leftover tomatoes :)

Gloria said...

look really delicious:)

Aarthi said...

This is such a wonderful recipe..Thanks for posting it..Bookmarked..

Aarthi
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers said...

Whata wonderful recuiipe! I just love it! I am going to make this one, one night!!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

You are in for a crazy day! This looks like a great potato dish!

Maggie said...

Good luck with this busy day of yours! Sometimes those are the best, because you can lay back at the end and appreciate all you've done.
Too bad your kiddos didn't like this, I would be all over it. Looks absolutely delicious!! I never think to check cookbooks out from the library, what a novel idea!

BigFatBaker said...

Oh my gosh! You are crazy. I am so envious of your motivation to get it all done, great job! Good news..there shouldn't be anymore HRC posts on the 15th for a while! This looks so tasty too, I am definitely bookmarking it for this coming week - it will please the BF for sure!

yummychunklet said...

Tomatoes always pair well with potatoes. Great idea!

Beth Michelle said...

This sounds so good! And it looks so pretty! I didnt like tomatoes as a child and now they are one of my favorites! So, there is still hope for your little ones!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

This looks delicious!! Love the potatoes and the tomatoes!

gobakeyourself said...

This recipe looks too delicious :D
I love how exotic it is!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.