Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Like Lofthouse Cookies and an announcement

I might just as well get the bad news over with....there's no sense keeping you in suspense all the way through my ramblings.



I am discontinuing "Your Recipe, My Kitchen" as of right now.  Because I participate in at least 5 monthly challenges, some of which are based on using recipes from other blogs, I am finding that I don't have enough time each week to make and post the things I want to.  I made a huge dent in my bookmarked recipe list.  That will have to do.  So thank you to all who have faithfully linked up each week.  Luckily, in this blogging world, where one steps down, another usually comes up with something else to fill in.
Now, on to the fun stuff.  Cookies.

These cookies are remarkably like the store bought Lofthouse type cookies that lure even the most staunch "homemade" person into buying them.  Are there any children who don't jump up and down with glee when they find that their parents brought some home?

Now for the ironic part.  This recipe has been in my family for almost 100 years.  I had seen people posting pictures and recipes for Lofthouse copycats, but had never bothered to read one.  A friend of mine, who loves those cookies beyond any others needed  a meal because her daughter was having major surgery.  I decided to surprise her with a homemade version.  So I finally read the copycat recipes.  That's when I started thinking something was fishy.  I went back to my Great-grandmother's sugar cookie recipe and discovered they were almost the exact same recipe.

Makes you wonder if any recipe is really new.

Sugar Cookies like Lofthouse (that really have been around forever)
 2 sticks margarine or 1 cup shortening (butter is better for you, but won't give you the right texture)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
6 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Cream the sugar and margarine until fluffy.  Add the eggs and vanilla, mix well.  Add the sour cream and milk.  Combine the dry ingredients and mix in.  Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.  The dough will be sticky.  On a well floured counter, roll to 1/4 inch thick.  Cut into circles.  Bake 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Colored Frosting
1 pound powdered sugar
1 stick butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
pink food coloring (or whatever color you want)
sprinkles
With a mixer, beat sugar with butter, starting off slowly so as not to end up with a cloud of sugar in the air. Measure out the milk, vanilla and food coloring (if using liquid) in a pourable measure and add, beating until fluffy...and then beat it just a little bit more.   Spread on the cookies.  Sprinkle on the sprinkles.  Let sit until the frosting "hardens".   

36 comments:

Tiffanee said...

Im so loving this recipe!! These look so much better than the ones you buy! Thank you for sharing this old family recipe. Those are the best!

Denise said...

Great recipe thanks for sharing, I too have alot going on so thats why I have kinda stopped posting to the recipe rounds. School is getting more important! Keep up the great work !

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Isn't it wonderful to use old family recipes? Some things just can't be improved upon! I think you're quite right about the original recipes thing - there is rarely anything new, only "tweaked." These cookies look really inviting. I'm on my pre-Floria diet right now, but could really use a sugar fix!!!! Soon as I get home, I'm making these.

drick perry said...

nothing better than an old, family recipe, things just taste better after you make one... good luck on your endeavors...

Tiffany said...

I bet the sour cream gives such a lovely texture! :D

Yummy said...

I love these cookies. Yum!

Sandi G said...

Re: the discontinuing...sometimes it happens. Blogging should not interfere with real life. I'm learning that myself ;)

These cookies look like something my little family would covet. It's nice rediscovering great-grandmother's recipes, isn't it?

Miz Helen said...

Good Morning Kristen,
I will miss your Monday Linky Party Your Recipe My Kitchen. I host Full Plate Thursday every week and hosting is a big job,and I want to thank you for giving us this party, but I totally understand that there is only so much time in a week.

Your cookies look awesome and would be a wonderful treat!

Thanks for sharing and have a great week!
Miz Helen

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Ohhh I bet these are delicious - love the addition of sour cream in the recipe - YUM!
Mary

Susan Lindquist said...

Gosh! Those are such pretty cookies!

Will miss touching base with Your Recipe My Kitchen, but I get it ... plus, it's always good as a blogger to move on to something new and interesting! You'll find plenty to do, I'm sure! Wink, wink!

Erin said...

My kids love these cookies but we don't buy them very often. How excited would they be if I made them?!?!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

It is hard to create anything new - especially on a classic that's been made so many times! That's what makes them classics though!

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} said...

Good for you- I bet it was a difficult decision :) yummy cookies!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

These cookies look perfectly soft and fluffy! Wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing! I'm glad to have found your blog.

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

I have seen this type of cookie all over the web, but haven't tried them yet. I think I should, your pics are a proof that they are delcious and so pretty! So Springy! Thank yoiu for sharing, Kristen! Have a great week!

gobakeyourself said...

These cookies are so delicious my friend - the soft frosting, the crumby cookie - its like portable cake :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Marcia@Frugalhomekeeping said...

Thanks for all of the times that you did host!! I appreciate your blog.

ytsmom said...

Ok for the cookie, but what about the frosting? That is also an integral part of the cookie.

thanks

Cucina49 said...

I love that you have your old family recipes--I can see why there are so many copycats, since these look delicious!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of Loft House Cookies, but when I saw your recipe, I recognized my grandmother's sour cream sugar cookies. She always used a big scalloped cutter and sprinkled sugar on top. She always said they are better the second day.

My all time favorites!

Sandra said...

Those cookies are dangerous!

carolinaheartstrings said...

Those are my favorite kind of cookies. Yours look terrific.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

I loooooove Lofthouse cookies! How funny that your family has had the recipe for so long!

Ann said...

These look delicious! I'm sorry that you're discontinuing the program, but sometimes good things must come to an end!

i'm glad you were able to make some of the recipes you've had bookmarked!

Joanne said...

This reminds me of that FRIENDS episode where Phoebe doesn't realize her grandmother's special cookies were Nestle Tollhouse's recipe all along! No matter where the recipe came from, they look great!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

These look delicious and are one of my favorite cookies! I'm sorry to hear your party is done, however I enjoyed it very much. I recently started my own called Mix it up Monday and would love for you to share your cookies:

http://flourmewithlove.blogspot.com/2012/03/mix-it-up-monday.html

I hope to see you soon :)

Vianney Rodriguez said...

Great cookies I love the addition of sour cream. Sorry your not hosting the your recipe my kitchen, but i understand about not having enough time. I read your random post about moving from blogger. I moved very early on and it was farily easy, but I did lose some pics. And I totally get the blog time refocus. I try to visit everyone on my google reader and feedburner twice a week, but I can never seem to keep up. And with my kids and trying to keep up with my posts..it gets time consuming. Good luck with your move!!

Lizzy said...

I'm going to make these next time I need to share some cookies! My family will love them...and so will everybody else!

I totally understand the need to discontinue your linky party...there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything!

Eileen said...

Hey, you're using my plates - lol... I love soft sugar cookies and I can tell you that I could use on right about now.

Martha said...

I made some of these a while back. Found a recipe on Pinterest. I thought them especially yummy.

The Harried Cook said...

I totally understand why you need to give up Your recipe my kitchen... I find it so hard to keep up with required commitments on my blog!

These cookies look delightful and really cute! I have been meaning to make these cookies for ages! I really need to get down to it!

Only Fish Recipes said...

wow...these cookies look so so delicious....drooling here :-)

Anonymous said...

am i really the only person who has never seen or heard of lofthouse cookies??? where do you find them? are they really that good?

Magic of Spice said...

These look so soft and delicious...lovely recipe, and so cool that you found your grandmothers recipe. It is interesting to consider how many recipes are truly original.

Close to Home said...

these look just like the onees at the grocery store. I am going to pin this and come back again.
thanks for stopping by my CCC blog post. I was in the mood for dessert that is why I commented here:)

kita said...

Lofthouse cookies are my one guilty indulgence every once in a great moon at the market. I have been trying to find a recipe that is just like them. I love your pink frosting and cute sprinkles. :D

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.