Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

I always get up early.  During Spring Break, I had at least an hour every day before the bedlam began.  One morning, I decided to make coffee cake.  I thought I could get it mixed, baked and ready before anyone woke up.  That was totally not how it ended up.

I kept getting sidetracked with laundry and cleaning and odd little chores that only the Mom seems to see and do. In the end, I made the cake with the help of my five year old daughter, Princess Pat. (I should interject here  that her name is not Pat.  That is her online pseudonym, just like my sons' code names).  We had a lot of fun.  I measured, she poured.  While I mixed the batter, she stirred the heck out of the topping.  She turned on my mixer and licked off the rubber spatula when the cake went into the oven.  Together, we turned out a fine cake...at 10:30am.  I almost had a mutiny while everyone waited, stomachs growling, for the cake to actually finish baking.  It was a good thing that there was enough left for me to sneak a piece for pictures while the feeding frenzy went on in the dining room!

This cake was originally a sour cream cake.  For some reason I didn't have any sour cream or yogurt in the house.  Don't you hate THINKING you have something in your fridge, starting a recipe and then finding out that there is no such ingredient in the entire house?! So I decided to punt with cream cheese.  I make a mean cream cheese pound cake, so why not see what it would do to a coffee cake.   In the end, I think it was a great choice and I believe I will be using it again.

My husband's one requirement in all coffee cakes is a thick inner layer of the cinnamon topping.  Even with a generous amount in this recipe, he said I could have added more.  I am not sure that there is a cake out there with "enough."  I think he is looking for a filling between the layers.  That is going to take a little investigation on my part, but stay tuned.  Before it gets too hot to bake, I might just try another coffee cake variation just for him.

Cream Cheese Coffee Cake (inspired by Sour Cream Coffee Cake Grandmere from 40 Years of Good Things: McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Company)
 
1 stick butter
1 8 ounce brick cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups self rising flour
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
topping/filling: 
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.  Add the sugar and cream that in, too.  Add the eggs, salt and vanilla, mixing until well blended.  Add the flour on low speed until mixed.  In a bowl, combine the topping ingredients.  Spread half the cake batter into a well greased 9 X 9 pan.  Top with half the topping.  Carefully put the remaining batter on that.  Sprinkle with the remaining topping.  Bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes or until done.

**note if using all purpose flour, add 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda

30 comments:

Tina said...

Ha- I am a cinnamon lover too, so the more the better. However, between the top layer and the middle swirl-I would be happy with this. Also, I am sure the cake part with that cream cheese could stand alone in flavor. Delicious post!

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

Something is in the air - coffee cakes rule the blogosphere right now :) I am adding yours to my to-bake list asap! Looks yummy!

drick perry said...

this one is the tops with the cream cheese, love it for a change of pace and great taste too - I am like your hubby, I like a good swirl of cinnamon, almost a strudel of sorts ribboned through coffee and pound-like breakfast cakes... yep, like this one a whole lots...

Vicki Bensinger said...

This sounds totally satisfying. You had me at cream cheese a favorite of mine. Love the cinnamon topping. You can never have too much. What a delight to wake up to. I can almost smell it cooking

Jenn Kendall said...

i would never have thought about adding the cream cheese, i bet it makes it oh so delicious!

yummychunklet said...

I think the cream cheese worked out great! Yummy post.

Gloria said...

Look delicious!!

Chrissy @ The Outlaw Mom Blog said...

My mouth is watering! I totally am the same as your husband, but unfortunately my hubby doesn't like cinnamon at all. May have to make two of these!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

When/if I bake something I won't feel comfortable substituting ingredients yet because I'm really scared of the whole thing goes in to the trash can. You are brave! But you had previous experience before using the cream cheese. i would possibly make something totally different and not edible! LOL. What a delicious and unique coffee cake!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Coffeecake is one of our favorite things...and cream cheese makes just about everything better! Looks delicious. I know I'd like to wake up to that! Have a good weekend!

Tobias @ T and Tea Cake said...

I am trying so hard to become a morning person but I am simply not. I never have problems getting up early if I have to - regardless of the hours of sleep I had - but when it only is an option, I just roll over and go back to sleep. I am motivated to get up early when I think about it before going to bed but then in the morning: no way. :(

So finishing a cake at 10:30 is what I call EARLY! ;)

Your coffee cake looks just the way I imagine a perfect coffee cake has to. I've made cakes with sour cream and crème fraîche, but never with cream cheese I am wondering, can you taste it in the cake?

Ann said...

That looks absolutely delicious! One of the things I really miss with a cinnamon allergy is coffee cake...they're wonderful. Great idea using cream cheese!

Joanne said...

I almost always get up early also...and think that I'm totally being more productive for it...but my REALLY productive mornings are few and far between. You still got this made, though, and it looks delicious!

Rosemary said...

Cream cheese is like bacon to me -- makes everything better! Thanks for the experiment. That's how great recipes are born, isn't it?

recipeland said...

Love this coffee cake, love the cream cheese in the cake. It sounds delicious and moist, the photo looks so appealing. Thanks for sharing :)

Suzi said...

Hi Kristen it was so wonderful to meet you over last weekend. I know what you mean about getting up early before the rush. I had my 3 year grandaughter here this past week and tried to get up before she id just to have a cup of coffee. Wish I had made this cake to go with the coffee, it looks delicious. Hope you have a pleasant weekend. I am just getting back into a normal routine.

Toby @ Plate Fodder said...

Totally loving the cinnamon crunchy topping. This looks like the ones we used to get from the bakery when I was a kid! Thanks for sharing - I "tink" we're having coffee cake for Sunday Morning :)

gobakeyourself said...

Cinnnamon is one of the best ingredients ever - you highlight it in this delicious coffee cake :D
Yum!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Colossal Caramel Peanut Monster Cookies

Lisa Pate said...

This sound so awesome I can't wait for the first chance I get to try it out. I hope you don't mind I added it to my favorite recipes to have found on Pinterst. You would not believe the repins I have gotten this is definitly a winner hands down.

Lizzy said...

Ooh, my family would go crazy for this, too! When I send Bill to the grocery store he inevitably brings home a frozen coffee cake...this has got to be heads and tails above that :/ A must try recipe :)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

I love cinnamon too, especially in a coffee cake with lots of cream cheese! Yum!

CherylK said...

Looks scrumptious! I need to try this...I have a little trouble with lactose but maybe I could tolerate the cream cheese baked into the coffee cake. I'm going to give it a go!

For your hubby's request, could you put a layer of batter in the pan, sprinkle cinnamon topping over it and then another layer of batter with more cinnamon topping? Just a thought!

Angie {Successful2gether} said...

This looks absolutely fantastic. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who wouldn't like this recipe!! Great job and awesome photos!

Susan Lindquist said...

Had to laugh, as we have the same on-going conversation about streusel taoppings ... SB says, "More, more, more!" Sound familiar? This a great coffeecake, though! And you photos are terrific!

The Harried Cook said...

This looks great! I love the flavors - my husband would say the same thing! :) This looks really yummy, Kristen! And I know what you mean about thinking you have an ingredient, and finding out you don't when you're halfway through the recipe!!! Happens to me ALL the time!

wok with ray said...

I would use cream cheese too. It looks great.

The Café Sucré Farine said...

So delicious looking! My time table is often like yours, I try to fit 10 pounds of potatoes into a 5 pound sack. Although I must say, I certainly wouldn't have minded waiting for results like this yummy coffee cake! How ingenious to substitute the cream cheese!

Katerina said...

I hate that when it happens to me too! Sometimes I think I have an ingredient in my pantry or fridge and I begin to do something realizing in the middle of the process that I don't have it and then I try to improvise. The cake looks delicious and cinnamon is never enough for me too!

Kim Bee said...

This looks del...oh wait we can't use that word anymore. It looks scrumptious. See I'm learning! Love the cream cheese in here. And cinnamon is always welcome in my book. I'm never organized so I can totally relate. You know like losing the all important park hopper pass. *sigh*

kita said...

I was just thinking I need to make a coffee cake soon. We haven't had one in forever. And yes - I am always thinking I have ingredients I don't on hand - and I hate the market next store... It can get so dramatic when I am out of eggs. ><

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.