Thursday, March 15, 2012

Black Forest Oatmeal: Eating the Alphabet

It's Eating the Alphabet time and we are on letters C and D this month.  I chose cherries.   I had cranberries in the freezer and really was leaning toward making something with them,  I even thought of using cantaloupe.  Cherries seemed too safe and boring.  However, you probably haven't seen them like this before.
I have had oatmeal on my brain for the last month.  It started innocently enough with my guest post on Cooking Healthy for Me where I made Blueberry Cheesecake Oatmeal.  Then, I moved on to German Chocolate Oatmeal.  That naturally evolved into today's breakfast: Black Forest Oatmeal.  You can see the progression, right?
This is totally good for you, too.  So don't feel guilty whipping up a bowl of chocolate for breakfast!

Black Forest Oatmeal:
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp cocoa
2 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup apple juice
1/4-1/2 tsp almond extract (according to your tastes)
In a saucepan, combine milk, cocoa, honey and salt.  Bring to a simmer and add the oatmeal.  Meanwhile in a microwave save bowl, combine the juice and cherries.  Heat for 1 minute, add the extract and let sit on the counter while the oatmeal cooks.  Cook and stir the oatmeal until thick.  Remove from heat and add the cherries with juice.  Stir to combine and serve.  Whipped cream is optional, but highly recommended.


ping said...

This looks super delicious! I'd have this as a dessert even. Oh yes ... better have a good portion of this for your trip ... you'll need the extra energy *wink*.

Baker Street said...

This looks soooo good! Would love a bowl at any point during the day! :)

Belinda @zomppa said...

Chocolate oatmeal?? Oh my kind of breakfast for sure!!

Terry said...

Looks SO yummy!

✿Sie✿ said...

weeeeee..another oatmeal recipe for is a good isea..I have not tried dried cherries Ms.Kristen..but now I will..thank you for this post Ms.Kristen ;)

Aarthi said...

This is such a wonderful recipe..Thanks for posting it..Bookmarked..


Bibi@Frugal Wannabe Cooks said...

This is such a great twist on oatmeal. I love my oatmeal with fresh apples, nuts and honey, but I never thought about adding cherries and cocoa....brilliant.

RavieNomNoms said...

What a great take on the traditional! This looks very yummy!

Choc Chip Uru said...

I am loving this super delicious oatmeal post - breakfast never looked better!

Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Strawberry Hot Fudge Choc Cobbler

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

Oh my goodness, Kristen, you are speaking my language! I eat oatmeal almost EVERY DAY, so I'm thrilled to be able to try this recipe and add some variety to my routine. This looks wonderful!

yummychunklet said...

What a delicious twist on breakfast. Great idea!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.