Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Adzuki Honey Buns for Marxfoods

This breakfast treat is brought to you courtesy of the Marx Foods' "Beans for Breakfast" contest.  I was sent three bags of beans: adzuki, marrow and mayacoba (canary).  My challenge was to come up with an original breakfast recipe using said beans.
My mind went all over the place thinking of recipes to make.  Should I go savory?  Should I go sweet?  Should I go gluten free? Should I throw caution to the wind and make something for the family?  I opted to thumb my nose at caution (I do hope that isn't considered a swearing action in any culture) and make a sweet yeast bun.  I have always wanted to make homemade sweet adzuki bean paste, so That. Is. What. I. Did.
I made them into flower shapes.  Who doesn't want to start the day with happy flowers smiling up at you from your plate?  I chose to flavor the buns with honey.  Honey in the adzuki beans.  Honey in the gloppy icing.   My third son, The Engineer, loves honey buns, so I thought I'd see if I could sneak beans into his favorite treat.  Some days, I worry that lightning is going to strike me because of the things I sneak into that boys' food! (But it never does, so I keep on doing it!)
So first to the beans.  I am used to making common beans.  You know what I am talking about:  navy, pinto, kidney, green...the boring beans that every American is familiar with.  I had seen Adzuki beans turned into treats on some of my favorite bloggers' sites, so I knew I was probably on the right track in going sweet with this variety.  However, I will say right here and now that I did not read any recipes before I started to make the paste.  In the long run, I pretty much had to wing it because I soaked the beans overnight.  Apparently, in traditional Asian bean sweets, they are treated more like aborio rice in Italian risotto.  They are cooked slowly with water added a little at a time until it absorbs and the beans become creamy-ish.  Yeah, that didn't happen in my kitchen.
However, I was really pleased with the results.    After soaking the beans overnight, I rinsed them and boiled them.  In 20 minutes, they were soft enough to squish with my fingers.  I drained the rest of the cooking liquid and threw them into my blender with 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/3 cup honey.  They came out thick and smooth....and deliciously sweet.  I turned all 16 ounces into paste and froze what didn't go into the buns.

Adzuki Honey Buns:
for the dough:
1 Tbsp yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tsp salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast, water and sugar.  Let the yeast bubble.  In the meantime, combine the milk, salt and butter in a microwave safe bowl.  Heat until the butter melts, about 1 minute.  Add a little of the milk mixture to the beaten egg to temper it, then add all of the egg back into the milk mixture.  Cool slightly if it still seems hot.  Add it to the yeast along with the flour.  Mix with a dough hook until a soft dough forms.  Cover the bowl and let rise until doubled, about 1hour.  Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a floured counter.  Roll it out into a large rectangle.  Spread the lower half with the bean paste.  Fold the top half down over the bean paste.  Cut the dough into 1 inch strips.  Roll them up jelly roll style and flatten them slightly with the palm of your hand.  Place on a baking sheet.  Make four or more cuts into the circle to form "petals."  Repeat with the rest of the dough.  Cover and let rise 30 minutes.  Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown.

Adzuki bean paste:
16 ounces adzuki beans
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup honey
Place the beans in a bowl.  Cover with at least 2 inches of water.  Soak the beans overnight.  Drain any remaining water.  Rinse, drain, repeat.  Place beans in a saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water.  Boil on medium high heat until soft, adding more water if necessary.  When you can squish a bean with your fingers, they are done.  Drain any remaining water.  Add honey and cinnamon and stir.  Put bean mixture into blender and blend until smooth and thick. 

Honey Icing:
1 pound powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
enough milk or water to form a spreadable icing (2-3 Tbsp)
Beat the butter and powdered sugar until crumbly.  Add the honey and beat some more.  Add the vanilla to 2 Tbsp of milk.  Beat that into the sugar mixture.  Add more milk if necessary.  Spread on cooled honey buns.  Put a big dollop in the center to look like a flower, if desired.

 Fine Print: I received three complimentary bags of beans from Marxfood.com, but all opinions on this blog are my own.

31 comments:

Akannie said...

Lordy, girl--these sound awesome. I love Adzuki beans and cook them to eat with rice a lot.

Mothers are supposed to be sneaky... lol

Marina said...

Those buns looks so delicious! I use to work with Koreans for about 4 years, and tried many of their food. They do make desserts with beans, including Adzuki, and it tastes amazing. I am sure your buns have a great taste, mmmm!

yummychunklet said...

That honey icing looks delicious, and I love red bean filling!

Ann said...

Kristen - these are terrific! I say if that's how you sneak beans into the boys food....can you come over with some beans to my house?!

Lyndsey said...

I like how you added the cinnamon to the red bean paste. I have made the paste before, but I would love to make these beautiful rolls like you did. Nice job, great breakfast!

misschocolat said...

They look really tasty.

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

Ohh, how I would love to taste these! Brilliant!

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

I have some adzuki beans in the pantry and I know what I'm going to use them next for! What a great idea Kristen!

Cathy Wiechert said...

Nice! I've never thought about putting beans in buns, but these look awesome!!

Rebecka Evans said...

Brilliant recipe! I just love Marx Foods. Best of luck in the competition!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I like anything with red bean and we have red bean bread (we call it anpan) in Japan and it's my favorite bread (of course it's red bean!). Your bread looks absolutely delicious. I need to make it one day!

The Mom Chef said...

So how did the boys like the buns? Did they notice the beans? I think they look delicious and I'd dive in in a heartbeat!

Kristen said...

I totally forgot to tell you all that the family licked their plates. When I said that they could have as many as they wanted, I was worried that they would tip their chairs over because of the speed with which they went back to the kitchen for seconds and thirds.

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

Such a unique recipe! I remember being in China and eating bean paste in various things. Crazy thing to think that beans can be sweet!

The Harried Cook said...

I love beans in sweet dishes, and this is something I would totally LOVE! I need to try this recipe soon... reminds me red bean buns we used to eat in Singapore! Thanks for sharing this, Kristen :) Beautiful pictures too!

Joanne said...

these sound amazing! I'm a sucker for anything with red bean paste in it and I'd LOVE to wake up to one of these!

carolinaheartstrings said...

Wow do those look fantastic! My husband would love them. Come visit us today. We are having a great giveaway. 3 wonderful charm bracelets from Cutey. We love them!

Angela said...

I adore mochi with sweet bean filling, so these sound amazing! Really pretty, too.

ping said...

These beans are super popular among asians. You sure did a great job with it! These look gorgeous and definitely deserve to be in the Top 9! Congrats!

Lizzy said...

Beautifully done, Kristen!!! And congrats on the Top 9 today...hooray!!!

Sue said...

Kristen, You really hit the mark with a unique, winning recipe! Look so pretty and inviting, and sounds delicious! Kudos to you!

Lesa @Edesias Notebook said...

Congrats on the Top 9!

Gloria said...

these look amazing!!!

Ally said...

Such a unique recipe! Sounds fabulous & delicious.
xo
http://allykayler.blogspot.com/

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com said...

Love adzuki bean buns -- grow up eating those. So nostalgic :)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

What a cool way to use beans!! These buns look delish! Never had them before!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

That's an awesome recipe Kristen!! Congratulations on taking it to the Top 9!!

www.you-made-that.com said...

Wow, I love these rolls they are adorable and so creative with the bean paste. Congrats on the top 9

Baker Street said...

This is totally top 9 worthy! You did great! :)

easyfoodsmith said...

How lovely are these!! Amazing post!

Beth Michelle said...

These sound amazing and are so pretty!! Great job!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.