Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Spinach and Lentil Palak Dal: Secret Recipe Club



It seems like forever since the last SecretRecipeClub!  I switched from the B group to the D group, so I got an extra 2 weeks off.  I am so excited this month to have been assigned to Shirley's blog Enriching your Kid! where she chronicles her mom's recipes as well as her own.  Her foods are wonderfully different than most anything I have every made.  It was so much fun to read her recipes and to decide what to make.  I almost made a curry, but then realized I had no idea where to get some of the crucial ingredients.  Then I thought of doing a paneer...but the last of my cottage cheese was eaten by an unnamed individual.  Finally, I settled on this lentil and spinach dish.  It was so full of healthful ingredients and had lots of flavor.  I served it with a little sour cream on top, though,  because at the last minute, I wimped out because of the spicy heat.  

I am going to admit right now that although I really enjoy eating Indian food, I know practically nothing about it.  So, when it came time to make this dish, I simply followed the instructions.  Except for one.  Okay two.  Dang!  I get an "F" in instruction following.  I didn't soak the lentils and I didn't stir everything together in the end.  Because I didn't change the ingredients or anything major like that, though, I am not going to reprint the recipe on my blog.  You can find it HERE.
This made a fabulous dinner.  I am thrilled to be discovering that many Indian dishes are gluten free.  I need to find a good Indian cookbook.  Can you recommend one?


25 comments:

Lisa~~ said...

I adore Indian food and make it all the time so I'm always looking for good recipes. I don't have a book recommendation though, most of my recipes I get online or make up as I go along.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites and my Group 'D' entry: Health(ier) Peanut Brittle

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Shirley said...

I simply enjoyed that post! ..with all the variations. I'd love to tell you more about Indian food, you dont need a book. When I read "about" you I just felt we had a lot in common... a degree in psychology and I too keep telling people I blog to keep my sanity!!! Glad to meet you through SRC

Belinda @zomppa said...

I love love love dal. So simple and hearty.

Gingered Whisk said...

Great job! I like Indian food, too, but know nothing about it! Looks good!

Suzi said...

I love Indian food also but have only made the cauliflower curry. I am going to try making the lentils. I like that spinach you have on the bottom there.

Sara said...

What a great dinner! Looks super delicious - love it! :)

Terry said...

Don't know of any books but here is a website I use for Indian recipes:
http://www.recipesindian.com/

I'm like you, don't know much about it other than I like it! When we go to Indian Restaurants we'll only go if its a buffet, we have NO idea how or what to order from a menu.

parttimehousewife.com said...

I have some lentils i need to use! thanks for the idea

Claudia said...

I love Indian food - most of my recipes comes from my aunt who lived in India for years. I am loving this dish - there is so much more to their cuisine than curry!

yummychunklet said...

Putting this dish on a bed of spinach looks rather delicious!

Asiya @ Chocolate & Chillies said...

Looks great...we love palak and daal (FYI Palak is spinach and Daal is lentils). My mom makes it often but it is more spinach than lentils.

I usually get indian recipes from my mom but one cookbook that I have found that is really good is called Mangoes and Curry Leaves

http://www.amazon.ca/Mangoes-Curry-Leaves-Culinary-Subcontinent/dp/0679312803/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330385454&sr=8-1

I've made a few recipes from it and they've all turned out fantastic and it has very good instructions.

Marina said...

Kristen this is an amazing meal, you did a great job!

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

what a delicious and healthy meal - so flavorful - great job!
mary x

Gloria said...

I love Indian food and lentils, this look really nice and yum!

Gloria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
✿Sie✿ said...

this is a unique dish Ms.Kristen..looking forward for more ;)

Lizzy said...

A fun new group for you! I just love the SRC :) Great choice...I'm a huge fan of spinach and lentils....mmmmmmm.

Ann said...

It looks delicious and I love that you chose a savory dish!

The Harried Cook said...

Looks yummy! Living in India, I make palak and dal together all the time and yours looks great! Thanks for sharing your take on the recipe!

Joanne said...

Indian food is a serious favorite of mine and I'm always looking for healthy delicious recipes that use Indian flavor to make. This sounds perfect!

I've heard really good things about 660 Curries. And anything by Madhur Jaffrey

Tina said...

I have seen a lot of tasty recipes popping up for lentils and this one looks like a tasty one! Great pick for SRC!

Rituparna said...

Delicious & Sumptuous ....

April Tuell Angels Homestead said...

Unfortunately I cant enjoy spicy food any more, but this dish sure looks good.

Jenn Kendall said...

what a delicious looking dish! sounds super tasty :)

Nicole @ I am a Honey Bee said...

welcome to group D! :-)

this looks so good. I love Indian food

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.