Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Saucy Mama Honey Mustard Chicken Salad in Endive Cups (glutenfree)

I love chicken salad in croissants.  For years it's been my go to girlie luncheon menu choice.  Now that I am gluten-free, however, those buttery, fat laden, delicious croissants are a thing of my past.   Chicken salad, on the other hand, is not off limits.  Now my salad vehicle of choice is a green leaf.  Lettuce is good, but Belgian Endive is more fun.  Who can resist picking up a scoop full of delicious chicken salad?

I received a box of six Saucy Mama mustards last week with which to create a dish for the "Skinny Mama - Cooking with Mustard" Recipe Contest.  The first thing I did was open all the bottles and taste them.  It was so much fun to ponder the differences in each flavor.  Smoky Garlic, Champagne and Honey, Dijon, Yellow,  Tarragon Lemon and Chipotle are all very, very different.  In the end, I chose to use the Champagne and Honey mustard.  It went perfectly with all of the other things I added to my chicken salad.  With endive scoops full of salad, I don't miss the croissants.....much.
This is a contest.  There are 50 bloggers competing for a pretty nifty prize.  Our recipes have to adhere to a nationally recognized diet like Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, South Beach, or, in my case, Gluten Free.   All of you get to vote.  Head over to Saucy Mama's facebook contest page to see who has entered and to vote.  Yes, I'd love a vote, but voting won't be open for another week.

Saucy Mama Honey Mustard Chicken Salad in Endive Cups
1 pound chicken breast, cooked and shredded or cut into small cubes
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
2 limes, juiced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Saucy Mama Champagne Honey Mustard
1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
2 heads Belgian endive
Place chicken and green onion in a medium sized bowl.  In a smaller bowl, combine the limes juice, chili powder, salt, garlic powder and honey until smooth.  Pour over the chicken and stir to combine.  Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.   Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise and Saucy Mama Champagne Honey Mustard in a bowl.  Stir into the chicken mixture along with the pecans.  Wash the endive and separate each leaf.  Spoon chicken salad into the "scoops" of each leaf.  Serve immediately, because the leaves will turn brown if left too long. 
Come back tomorrow for a second mustard/gluten free (but not necessarily diet-ish) recipe and a Saucy Mama giveaway!

28 comments:

✿Sie✿ said...

Hello Ms.Kristen..wow yummy and it is such a creative dish..ok I'll go vote now Ms.Kriten *hugs* ;)

Ann said...

Kristen - these look terrific! I love chicken salad and using endive is brilliant! I'm not sure I'd miss croissants, either with this recipe!

Kim Bee said...

Oh my gosh these are so adorable. I love them. Off to go take a look at the facebook page.

Tiffanee said...

Love chicken salad and this is a brilliant way to serve it. Recipe sounds oh so delicious!!

easyfoodsmith said...

Oh yum! These look awesome and so delicious!

ping said...

Definitely voting ... one sec ... lemme ogle at these first!
Endives make such great scoops, don't they? These look great! Come to mama!

raquel@erecipe said...

I love the presentation it's like a flower =)

Tina said...

The mustard flavors you listed do sound like something I need to try-yum! Also, the champagne honey one would have been my first pick too. The endive is such a great way to go, sometimes I do not want all that bread which can kind of smother all the tasty flavor of the salad. Thanks for sharing this fabulous recipe! Sorry I cannot vote, not on facebook but it looks like a winner to me!

Lizzy said...

I love the presentation with endive...both beautiful and delicious!

Terry said...

Looks amazing!

yummychunklet said...

What a creative way to serve these snacks!

Elpiniki said...

Sounds really tasty! Your presentation is just amazing!

Suzi said...

That is a perfect idea, endive leaves are pretty sturdy and they taste good too. Nice appetizer you have going on here.

Tracy said...

These little bites look seriously delicious! Love them!

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

Champagne Honey Mustard - that sounds incredible! I love the presentation of your salad cups. It would be a great idea for a party!

Cucina49 said...

Kristen, that presentation is spectacular! I love endive and this salad sounds like a perfect flavor complement to the bitter greens.

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Yum yum yum - so pretty and sOOOO delicious!
Mary x

Cathy W said...

I just discovered endive...love it! I'll bet your chicken salad is as tasty as it is lovely to look at. :)

Claudia said...

I love putting things on endive spears - the crunch is grand and the tiny taste of bitter is so welcome. I must do this - what a great reminder. The presentation is lovely and I bet it all got gobbled up. (I wonder how many points this is.... out comes the calculator.)

Soni said...

Beautiful salad!Love everything about it.The looks, the flavors and the recipe!Thanks for sharing :)

Jenn Kendall said...

champagne honey mustard? sounds delicious! these look so pretty, perfect for a party...and they sound so tasty!

Eileen said...

Yum! I love chicken salad - my favorite. And the sauces sound awesome to boot!

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

I'm getting a little old so you'll have to remind me when the voting is opened. You'll have my vote!

Baker Street said...

I like the way its been presented but more than that i love the sound of champagne honey mustard!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I looooove endive, and this salad looks refreshing and it's perfect for a party...it's beautiful!

Diane said...

This looks wonderful. I love me some chicken salad.
Blessings
Diane

The Shady Porch said...

Pretty presentation...really nice pictures too! Best of all...your recipe for chicken salad looks really yummy (I've never put mustard in mine, but now, I think I should!) Thanks for sharing at the Rock 'N Share!

Carole said...

Wow, looks great. If you like chicken, you might like my take on Sichuan chicken. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/my-take-on-sichuan-chicken.html

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.