Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Roasted Sesame Ginger Green Beans: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

I don't normally feature a recipe that was barely published last week, but that's exactly what I am doing this time.  I picked up a package of fresh green beans at the store a few days ago for $.49.  I know!  $.49 for a little over a pound of fresh green beans...in February!  There were a few, like 5, that had some ugly brown discoloration on them; not rot, but imperfections.  I just couldn't pass them up.  So then I was on the hunt for a nifty way to cook them.

I was over at Kristy's blog, Mother Rimmy's Cooking Light Done Right and saw her Sesame and Garlic Green Beans and my search was over.  These are like hers, except, of course, that she used the stove top to cook her beans and I used my oven. And I had a  few minor ingredient problems, like the fact that I had no sesame seeds or fresh ginger or coconut oil.  Other than that, these are Just. Like. Hers. ;-)
So how did I rectify the no sesame seeds with the title?  Sesame oil.  And the coconut oil became olive oil and the fresh ginger became ground.  It's all good.  These were delicious beans.   And different, too.  I mean, when you are used to opening a can and popping it into the microwave, roasted fresh beans with a lot of flavor added is like a whole new vegetable.  I think I may start roasting them more often.  It only took about 10 minutes, too!

Roasted Sesame Ginger Green Beans: (sat in the same room as the computer showing this recipe)
1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp gf soy sauce (or regular)
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp honey
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.  Toss green beans with 1 Tbsp olive oil.  In a bowl, combine the remaining olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, honey and red pepper.  Drizzle over the green beans and toss.  Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees.  Remove from oven and season with salt and pepper. 


Your Turn! What's been cooking in your kitchen?

33 comments:

ping said...

I really should throw my veges in the oven more often. We'd normally do a quick stir fry with this (all the same ingredients too). Oven baked sounds better with a less greasy stove top to deal with after.

Jessica said...

Thanks for hosting! I posted my salted cultured lemons full of healthy probiotics. Join me for Cultured Mondays!

http://naturallivingsocal.blogspot.com/2012/02/salted-cultured-lemon.html

Elpiniki said...

Sounds delicious and so healthy!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Thanks for hosting... I love Kristy's Blog, terrific choice, especially with these beans. Nice touch with the bit o honey!

Dave

Tina said...

These would make a wonderful side dish! I really like the asian twist and the recipe is pretty unique. Well worth adding to the recipe box-yum!

Miz Helen said...

I am sharing my Cabbage and Sausage Stew today. Thanks for hosting and have a great day!
Miz Helen

Angie {Successful2gether} said...

these look so good ! :)

Anita Stafford said...

Your fresh green beans look super good! I have shared Apple Chips. Thank you for hosting!

Marina said...

Yes, green beans are apparently in season, and I have a whole box (about 5 lb) of it in my refrigerator - that's how I have to shop here if I want healthy food: in bulk. Great recipe to add to my green beans menu this week!

Jennifer @ Jennifer Cooks said...

I LOVE roasted green beans! I have a recipe that I'm going to be posting this week that's very similar, but with balsamic and garlic!

Today I’m linking up my Grilled Smashed Potatoes and 2-ingredient Pumpkin Cake.

Drop by Fusion Fridays at jennifercooks.com each Friday and link up your goodies! {Open thru Wednesday}

Thanks so much for hosting!

Elisabeth said...

Love roasted vegetables, but have never roasted green beans, yet (where have I've been hiding?)
Love this recipe, and the flavors of the sesame, soy, and ginger...and of course the roasting method. Yumm!

Jen @ JuanitasCocina.com said...

We love fresh green beans! Thanks for the different twist and we can't wait to try 'em!

Aarthi said...

Awesome Recipe

Aarthi
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

What a great deal! I would have snagged them too - I love when the commissary repackages produce and sells it dirt cheap, I turn it into homemade jams and applesauce and am a very happy girl. This sounds so full of flavor you'd never know they were such a bargain!

Lizzy said...

Mmmmm...your green beans sound so yummy! I love the Asian twist :)

Sandi said...

I'm with Liz, green beans w/an Asian twist sounds AND looks like a must-eat-soon :)

Juliana said...

Kristen, I never roasted green beans, and I will sure try now that I've seen how nice and tasty they can be.
Thanks for this recipe and ope you have a great week ahead :)

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

I love roasted veggies! Fortunately, my kiddos too :) I have to try your sesame ginger version!

yummychunklet said...

Roasted green beans are tasty enough but adding the sesame seasoning is a fantastic idea!

~♥Sie♥~ said...

wow this is a new way of cooking it Ms.Kristen..this is good and so healthy..a good idea honey and sesame oil..thank you for this one Ms.Kristen ;)

scratch-made wife said...

Those green beans sound amazing. I don't know why I've never roasted them before. Thanks for the great idea!

Claudia said...

I love the flavor of sesame with green beans. And I laughed at all your substitutions! I make recipes exactly like a cookbook or blogger says except.....

The Harried Cook said...

I heart sesame... I am always looking for new ideas for sides. This is a great one! Thanks :)

Vicki Bensinger said...

Ooh these green beans so so tasty. I'll definitely have to put these on my list to try next time I make some.

Mother Rimmy said...

Terrific idea to roast the green beans. I'll bet the had even better, nuttier flavor. Thank you so much for the mention and have a terrific week! :)

Mrs. T said...

Thanks for hosting! Have a great week!

Katerina said...

Your beans look absolutely delicious Kristen. Green beans are loaded with vitamins and fibers, so good for our nutrition!

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

I am absolutely making these tonight! great ingredients with super flavors - YUM I think my girls will eat their greens!
mary x

danasfoodforthought said...

This Asian-sounding twist on traditional green beans sounds great! You did a great job with what you had on hand... I bet it was delicious!

Kathleen Richardson said...

I've only recently discovered your blog and have signed up for it! Love your idea for roasting fresh green beans. My favorite roasted veggie so far is fennel with artichoke hearts...
http://stepbystepinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2012/01/martha-me.html

Beth said...

Roasted green beans sound great! I can't believe I've never thought of it before.

Amee said...

Green beans are my favorite veggie! I love the Asian flavors with the sweetness from roasting! Delish. :)

Angie {Successful2gether} said...

If you have a minute, I would love for you to link this recipe up on my Successful Saturday linky! :)
http://successful2gether.blogspot.com/2012/02/new-successful-saturday-link-up.html

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.