Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Italian Nachos (glutenfree)

You will have to excuse me, I have nachos on the brain these days.  I could only eat normal Mexican nachos so often before my imagination started acting up.  I have a whole list of different variations on the nacho theme running around in my head.   This is the first: Italian Nachos.

I thought of all the delicious things that go into a great Italian dish and combined it on top of corn chips.  It's gluten free and delicious.  My kids love eating dinner with their fingers so there were no complaints from them.  I set up all of the toppings in separate little bowls and everyone made their own.  Some of us used all of the options, while others only chose meat and cheese. 
The Comedian wanted to have his nachos included in the post.  He was very proud of his chip placement.
The recipe isn't really a recipe per se.  You will have to adjust the amounts according to your tastes.

Italian Nachos
corn chips
1 jar spaghetti sauce of your choice
1 pound Italian sausage, cooked
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, minced
4-5 mushrooms sliced or 1 can, drained
1 small can sliced black olives, drained
mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese
Combine onions and peppers in a skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil and saute.  Remove to a bowl.  In the same pan, add remaining 1 Tbsp oil and saute mushrooms.  Remove to new bowl.  Arrange desired amount of chips on a plate.  Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese over the chips.  Add a couple of spoonfuls spaghetti sauce over the cheese.  Top with peppers, onion, mushrooms, cooked sausage, olives and more mozzarella.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Microwave for 45 seconds or until cheese is melted.  Repeat for other servings.
OR
You could pile everything on a baking sheet and bake a big batch 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.

34 comments:

Marina said...

My comment? No comments: lets eat! Thank you Kristen.

Asmita said...

Looks divine Kristen. I love Italian sausage. This is such an interesting twist on nachos. Very creative indeed!!

~♥Sie♥~ said...

I'm here I'm here Ms.Kristen..I try this now I have the ingredients..and just in time for our snack with my kids..thank you for this post Ms.Kristen..hehehe..I agree with Ms.Marina..let's eat hihihi 。◕‿◕。

Martha said...

Those look scrumptious! I've never thought of doing Italian nachos before. I have used chips to scoop tuna fish or egg salad before, but I was never particularly impressed. Gluten free bread or crackers are better for that.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

Looks wonderful! I have actually been thinking about various nachos lately too!! I was thinking a pizza version using pita chips! Totally making these soon!

Balvinder Ubi said...

nachos are my all time favourite. Its interesting to put different toppings in separate bowls.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

You have a really great idea! You can do Nachos Blog Hop with your own various recipes one day! LOL. I think kids will loooove this Italian Nachos idea. Great great idea!

Choc Chip Uru said...

I love this culture mix - if we can have mexican pizza then this is perfectly acceptable and delicious looking :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Elpiniki said...

These looks so delicious! I ll definately try this sometime!

yummychunklet said...

Gluten-free nachos? Yes, please!

ping said...

Oh Yum! I love finger food! This is calling out to me ...!
Tomorrow, I shall do this tomorrow. Can't wait!

Emily said...

These look delicious minus the olives. I love nachos. There are some weeks when I might have them 3 or 4 times a week. Never thought to have them with an Italian twist. Great idea!

Tina said...

I have had something like this at an italian restaurant called "Italchos". I never hesitated to order them! This does look like it has a lot of the same ingredients, so I know it is one tasty appetizer! Well done.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

what a great idea to have a nacho party bar set up so everyone can make their own! Love this idea

Dave

Lizzy said...

I think I could live off these!!! So yummy, Kristen~

Amanda at the red table said...

These remind me of the Italian nachos appetizer at Old Chicago. They are my kryptonite. So good! Thanks for sharing!

Gloria said...

Look yumm Kristen!

danasfoodforthought said...

I bet the kids loved this dinner... and since I'm a big kid at heart, I would too!

easyfoodsmith said...

O M G!!! I could have them morning noon night! Yummilicious!

The Mom Chef said...

What a brilliant idea. I adore nachos of any kind but have never in my wildest dreams even though in the direction of Italian-style. You rock. Tell the Comedian that his chip placement is perfect.

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Gluten-free nachos??? Yes please!!! :)

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

I love it! This is a great way to jazz-up our Italian nights! Thank you, Kristen!

Sandi said...

The Comedian's chip placement is divine. Hhaha, I wish blogger had a strikethrough on comments, I forgot the "c" initially!
This recipe is divine too,Kristen ;)

Jenn Kendall said...

these sound so delicious!!

Rachelle said...

What a great idea. I will have to see what my kids think of this version.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

That's a good idea! I like the idea of setting out assorted toppings so everybody can make their own just how they like them!

Cucina49 said...

Those look brilliant--I really love nachos and have been craving them lately!

The Harried Cook said...

This is what I have for lunch sometimes when I am home alone. It's just fabulous! Thanks for sharing your version :)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

I love this idea for nachos! I would happily gobble this whole plate up!

Sara @ Saucy Dipper said...

I've been toying with gluten free lately. Not sure it's my thing, but I do feel a little better. And these nachos look great!

Eileen said...

What a great way to take care of a craving! You've started a new craze - I can see it now :)

Ann said...

Kristen, this is incredibly clever! Delicious, too! Thanks for sharing and YUM!

Deborah said...

Oh my gosh - these sound amazing!!

Magic of Spice said...

What a fun idea! My nieces and nephews would get a kick out of this...very creative :)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.