Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Glutenfree Sour Cream Raisin Pancakes

I can live without a lot of gluten.  After a disastrous experiment making gf pizza, I have come to the conclusion that some things just cannot be copied; thick, chewy pizza dough being one of them.  But that's another post.  Pancakes, on the other hand,  are not something I plan to give up.

Luckily, pancakes are small and thin and lend themselves to many flour combinations.  Over the last few weeks, I have been playing around with many flavors and flours.  The other day, I told the kids we were having pancakes for dinner.  The usual enthusiastic response followed.  Next, I announced that the Thinker would be in charge of making the bacon and the Comedian would be making the kids' pancakes.  Even more enthusiasm followed.  "WooHoo," said the boys  "We get to make dinner! "  So I whipped up these gf pancakes for me, and got out the griddle.   The gf girl has to be first to cook, so as to avoid contamination.
Meanwhile, the Thinker has realized that cooking bacon can be dangerous.  He got splattered with grease and is now gingerly trying to flip the slices ("turn down the heat, honey," says me "or cover the pan.")  He ignores expert advice and continues to dance around the frying pan.  Finally, he turns to me and says, "Are these done?"  I look in the pan and see tiny, shriveled, very dark pieces of what used to be bacon...."yes, they are more than done." The Comedian announces" _____________burned the bacon!"
I plate up my pancakes and head to my new photographing area (which used to be the Good Guy's office...sorry, Sweetie).  When I am done, I turn around and see that the Comedian is sitting alone at the table eating pancakes.  "Um, you do know that you were making ALL of the pancakes.  As in, you were making everyone's?"  He scrambles back to the griddle, slops on more, cooks them for 2/3 of the required time, dishes them up and runs back to the table.  Five minutes later, the Thinker announces, "____________, made raw pancakes!"


Gluten Free Sour Cream Raisin Pancakes (adapted from 1000 gluten free recipes)
6 Tbsp sorghum flour
4 Tbsp tapioca flour
6 Tbsp potato starch
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp honey
1 egg
1 Tbsp oil
1/4 tsp lemon extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3-1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup raisins
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, making sure that all of the ingredients are well blended.  In a smaller bowl, combine the wet ingredients, except the milk.  Add them to the flour mixture.  Add enough milk to make a desired pancake consistency.  (I like mine thin, some like theirs thicker) Stir in the raisins.  Cook pancakes on greased griddle or skillet.  Serve with butter and syrup. (I use agave nectar)

18 comments:

Marina said...

Kristen, this pancakes are just fabulous! And the story about making them just made me smile: thanks for a great morning start!

Tina said...

These pancakes do have that light fluffy look to them that tells me they are delicious. Ha-sounds like everyone participated in this breakfast. Smart move making yours first-because the aftermath was chaos! Enjoy the day.

yummychunklet said...

What tasty looking pancakes, and I like that star plate!

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

fantastic looking pancakes - they look so fluffy!
mary x

Aarthi said...

Yummy recipe..bookmarked

Aarthi
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

Monet said...

I agree...the star plate is just gorgeous, darling! And I am totally wanting pancakes now. With or without gluten! Thank you for sharing with me. As always, delicious and inspiring. Now I want to get home and cook. I hope you have a blessed day!

Ann said...

They look terrific and it's never a dull moment at your house!

Cathy Wiechert said...

Wow, Kristen, these look great. I'm so glad you're able to have your pancakes. Your kid's sound terrific! :D

The Mom Chef said...

Sounds to me that the Thinker has enough comedian in him to be both. Your family interactions make me smile. (I am sorry about the bacon though.)

I think these pancakes sound fantastic. I love raisins!

beti said...

I have never tried gluten free recipes before and I can only imagine that it is a bit difficult, but I must admit that this pancakes look incredible!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

Haha, it sounds like a fun time at your house! These pancakes look great! You would never know they were GF!

Baker Street said...

hard to believe these are gluten free. they look perfect! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

Kids! Stinkers... at least they're always good for a laugh!

Eric @ Happy Valley Chow said...

They look delicious and that plate is pretty awesome!

Juliana said...

Like the idea of using different flours in this pancake and the raisin...they look great, light and fluffy.
Hope you are having a great week Kristen :)

Katherine Martinelli said...

So cute! I love that you have your kids making pancakes for dinner. Your gf version sounds awesome!

Cucina49 said...

Those pancakes look amazing--I doubt I'd even know that they were gluten-free!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I love your star plate with delicious pancakes! Sour cream in it - I've never tried that! Looks yummy~~!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.