Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

German Chocolate Breakfast Oatmeal

After making Blueberry Cheesecake Oatmeal, I started thinking about what other desserts could be made into a healthy oatmeal breakfast.  How can you eat dessert for breakfast you ask?  Well, my reckoning is, if my sons can put 1/4 cup of maple syrup OR MORE on their pancakes, what exactly is the difference between dessert and breakfast?  At least oatmeal is good for your heart!  And cocoa may also decrease blood pressure and improve cholesterol.  Along with Omega-3s in the walnuts, this stuff is looking better and better!

When I am making up a recipe, I work one of two ways.  Either I sit down with pen and paper to map out the recipe before I begin or I wing it.  This was a wing-it kind of dish.  I gathered my ingredients, added them to the pan, jotting down as I went.  It has your basic German Chocolate ingredients: chocolate, coconut and walnuts plus enough stuff to make it a bowl of good hearty oatmeal, too.

German Chocolate Breakfast Oatmeal: (serves 2)
1 cup nonfat milk
2 Tbsp cocoa
1 Tbsp butter (optional)
1/8 tsp salt

1/2 cup rolled oats
3 Tbsp honey or agave nectar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
In a saucepan, combine milk, cocoa, butter and salt.  Heat until bubbling, add oats and honey.  Stir and cook until thick and done, about 5-8 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Stir in vanilla, coconut and walnuts.  Add additional sweetener as desired.  Garnish with a sprinkle of coconut and walnuts.

24 comments:

Ann said...

Okay, Kristen - this is just plain ol' brilliant! You're right - you have healthy ingredients here and if it feeds your troupe....all the better!

Wing it! AWESOME!

✿Sie✿ said...

wow another oatmeal recipe..this is another big plus for me Ms.Kristen and it is good for my heart..it is again another way to enjoy my oatmeal..thank you Ms.Kristen ;)

Elpiniki said...

I really love chocolate! This looks so delicious! Great for the first meal of the day!

Katerina said...

Such a great chocolatey way to start your day Kristen! I would love to dive in it!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Kristen! I thought of the same way when I saw my kids asking more syrup on pancakes and wondered if this is "healthy" recipe or what. Chocolate doesn't mean dessert right?! ;-). Love your wing-it recipe! Thanks for sharing it so we can make this and have a happy chocolate morning. =)

Lizzy said...

My hubby is the oatmeal eater in our family...I'm sure he'd be delighted to work some chocolate into his breakfast :)

Joanne said...

Well, dessert for breakfast is always good. And chocolate for breakfast...even better. This sounds delicious!

yummychunklet said...

Chocolate oatmeal for breakfast? Always a plus!

Terry said...

Think I have everything but the coconut and walnuts. This is an oatmeal my husband may actually enjoy!

Lesa @Edesias Notebook said...

I love the way you think! What a great idea. I think instead of the coconut and walnuts, I would be tempted to top it with some raspberry jam. Mmm!

Merry said...

I was just thinking last night about making a similar filipino dish called champarado, except instead of oatmeal you use sticky rice! Chocolate for breakfast rocks!

Kim Bee said...

Now this is an oatmeal I can get behind. Yum! I have not forgotten about recipes. I have two books on top of my desk just waiting for a few free minutes. Might have time tomorrow. The one book has really good recipes.

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Very interesting! I'm all for having dessert for breakfast, in fact, I do it every couple of weeks. Can't be much worse than a donut!

Soni said...

Beautiful!Love all the flavors in there cocoa,coconut,walnuts,vanilla.Lovely and delicious way to start the day!

Holly Henry said...

What a fantastic idea! i never would've thought of putting chocolate in my oatmeal, but can't see why it wouldn't be a great treat in the am. Thank you for sharing :)

Holly

Marina said...

Kristen, I can see my son in that crowd too: he loves to add honey/maple syrup to his oatmeal in the morning! :) Great recipe, love it!

The Harried Cook said...

Wow! This is such a fabulous idea... I think this would make a wonderful start to the day... My husband and little girl would love this! I would just skip the coconut in my bowl and add extra walnuts and it would be perfect! Awesome post, Kristen!

Tina said...

I have been wanting someone to make a German chocolate candy bar! My mom thinks I am crazy, but I really love that style of cake. No candy bar out yet, but it looks like I can enjoy all that wonderful taste with this recipe in the meantime. Very clever and definitely a step in a better direction than swimming pancakes! Well done.

Kristina said...

Delicious idea!! I would eat this for breakfast any day :) This sounds like such a treat, great recipe!

Samantha Angela said...

This is a really good idea. German chocolate is so good. Mmm coconut

Angie {Successful2gether} said...

this seriously looks SO good :) YUM!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

This looks SO good! What a wonderful breakfast!! Love german chocolate!

Sue said...

You, my dear, are a genius! This is fantastic!

kita said...

Damn! This takes breakfast to a whole other level. I love how tasty oatmeal has become!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.