Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Apple Strudel Bread: Eating the Alphabet

Have you ever had the Apple Strudel Bread that Costco sells?  It's called Innkeeper's Bed & Breakfast Apple Strudel Bread.  A long time ago, I fell in love with it.  However, at the time I was not comfortable making bread, so I did not attempt to make it at home.  Now, years later, I have been contemplating the bread and searching the internet for copycats.  The last motivational push I needed was a new  blogging challenge called Eating the Alphabet, created by Brenda from Meal Planning Magic.  Each month we are posting recipes featuring fruit or vegetables that start with certain letters.    This month is A or B.

Even though apples are common, this bread certainly is NOT.  My kids were walking through the house with their noses in the air and their eyes shut smelling the aroma of these loaves baking.  They are like apple cinnamon rolls, only slice-able!    I served some slices with a powdered sugar glaze drizzled over them.  Others were slathered with butter and put under the broiler to crisp up a little.  Both ways got two thumbs up from the crew of hungry eaters.  With the second loaf became a treat that will be posted later.
Apple Strudel Bread:
8 cups flour
2 Tbsp yeast
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 cups water
3 Tbsp butter
2 eggs
Combine flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.  In a microwave safe bowl, heat the milk, water and butter until the butter is melted.  Whisk in the eggs, making sure they are lightly beaten.  Add the warm mixture to the flour mixture, creating a nice soft dough.  Cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.  Punch down and roll out on a floured surface in a large rectangular shape.  Cover with the
Apple Filling:
3 apples, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
5 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
First spread the dough with the butter, sprinkle with the apples, then the brown sugar and then the cinnamon.  Fold the left side of the rectangle over to the middle.  Fold the right side over on top of the folded left side.  Fold the bottom up to the middle and then the top down over the folded bottom.  You will have a really tall hunk of dough.  Use a knife or pastry knife and cut the dough into 1 inch pieces.  Fill 2 large, greased loaf pans equally with the pieces.  Cover and let rise until just above the rim of the pan.  Bake 30-35 minutes at 375F.  Let cool 5-8 minutes in the pan and then carefully transfer to a rack to cool completely.  Cover and store.


33 comments:

Vimitha Anand said...

Flavorful n yummy bread
My Culinary Trial Room
Ongoing event - Love n Chocolate Fest

Belinda @zomppa said...

That is definitely a way to start the alphabet - GORGEOUS and can only imagine the aromas!

yummychunklet said...

How fun! This bread looks great!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds really good! Isn't it great to hit the stage where you can recreate the things you love on your own!?

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family said...

What an awesome looking bread! I would pick yours over Costco any day of the week.

Aarthi said...

This is my favorite one..I love it..Bookmarked

Aarthi
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

Sheila said...

What a fun idea! I've never had Costco's apple strudel bread, but I have had their coffee cake and it is amazing. I'm certain this is absolutely delicious.

Angie's Recipes said...

I don't think I have ever had strudel bread...they look gorgeous!

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

never heard of this before, and now I am so sad, it sounds amazing, I have been missing out.

Martha said...

I rather like the idea of eating the alphabet, especially if it means a bowl of that soup I loved as a child and a big hunk of that apple strudel bread. :)

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

Oh yum! I can almost smell it baking :) Looks amazing too!

Marina said...

I love the idea of using alphabet. Bread is so comforting on those pictures. I need a piece...:)

Steph said...

This bread looks so fun! I love how it's all bubble shaped!

Maggie said...

This bread is drop dead gorgeous!! Wow. I want to make this stat! My parents are coming this weekend and I think I may try it out on them. Thank you!!

Sue said...

These look beautiful and sound wonderful, Kristen!

Lyndsey said...

Oh yum! Almost like monkey bread with apples! I looks impressive too!

Lizzy said...

I will not bake this bread. I will not bake this bread. I will not bake this bread. Gosh, I REALLY want to bake and eat this bread...it looks SO good! It just would not be safe in my kitchen :)

Eileen said...

I think that bread sounds so good! I can almost smell it baking now - lol. Since I've been in the bread making mood this winter I'll add it to my list :)

The Harried Cook said...

Wow! Love this bread... It sounds delicious and looks great too! And the 'eating the aplhabet' thing sounds so cool! Thanks for sharing :)

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

Oh my goodness...amazing!!

Kim Bee said...

You....are....killing...me! This is too purty to eat. I just want to stare at it.

Cathy W said...

This does look amazing! I don't think I've seen it at Costco, but your version is awesome. What lucky children you have. :)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

I have never tried this at Costco, but it looks SO good and I bet it smells incredible while it's baking!!

Choc Chip Uru said...

This bread has all the droolworthy features which entice me to the breakfast table - another stunning recipe :D


Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Healthiest Natural Sugar Muesli Bars

Joanne said...

What a fun blog event! And a delicious strudel to go along with it.

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Wow this looks amazing - great recipe and sounds like a really fun event!
mary x

Erin said...

Oh wow! My dad would absolutely love this!

theorganictrail said...

I can't wait to try this. I have the perfect occasion! Thanks for sharing!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

What a fun challenge, and this bread looks amazing!

Ann said...

That bread is pretty darn cool and I LOVE the idea that you're going to go through the alphabet! I can't wait to see it!

Denise said...

Yum, gonna try this, thanks pictures look great !

Magic of Spice said...

What a great bread and fun event :)

Balvinder Ubi said...

This is lovely, Did you use GF flour?

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.