Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Roasted Sweet Potato Slices (glutenfree)

These are my new favorite snack...besides cheese and peanut butter and cashews and raisins and apples and olives and okay,  I don't have one favorite, just a list of favorites...and these are now on that list.  I used to think I didn't like sweet potatoes all that much.  They were more something that I endured at my in-laws' house on holidays.  Once I removed all of the marshmallows, sugar and spices, I found a veggie that wasn't too bad!
I don't suppose there is a real recipe involved here, but I will do my best to list one at the bottom.  Besides peeling, slicing and seasoning, there isn't a lot done with these luscious orange buddies.  I took a suggestion from Debbi Does Dinner Healthy and threw some lime juice on them.  I took a cue from Drick's Rambling Cafe and sprinkled a bit of Slap Ya Mama cajun season salt on them and then I followed my own love of garlic and doused them with a bunch of garlic salt, too.  I think the operative word in the seasoning process is salt.  I really like the way it combines with the sweetness of the taters.

Roasted Sweet Potato Slices
enough sweet potatoes for your crowd (plan on one small per person or one huge per three people), peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
olive oil
l -2 limes (depending on how many sweet potatoes)
cajun season salt (if desired)
garlic salt
Pour some olive oil on your baking sheet (it should be a pan with edges).  Lay the sweet potatoes on the oil in a single layer.  Sprinkle with salts.  Splash with lime juice.  Drizzle on another layer of olive oil.  Bake 375 for 40 minutes.  Remove from oven to serving plate and go ahead and sprinkle more garlic salt on them.  Eat and enjoy!  These make the best snack! (note: they won't be crispy)

30 comments:

Little Mommy said...

Way to go! I knew you'd be busy finding and making some yummy GF recipes :)

The Harried Cook said...

My list of favorite snacks is much, much longer... LOL :D but this sounds delicious! I adore sweet potatoes... Thanks, Kristen!

Martha said...

You would like the Gluten-free Carrot Cake. :)

Those sweet potatoes look yummy.

Marina said...

It could be my dinner or lunch too. I also add some smoked paprika... Thanks Kristen!

Vimitha Anand said...

Nice simple and healthy snack

Ann said...

YUM! I can see why it's a new favorite! They look delish! I was never a fan of sweet potatoes, either until I MADE them! Once I took control of the ingredients - I love them! ..plus growing up the only sweet potatoes I ever had were in a can...ick!

Tina said...

Glad to see a great recipe for sweet potatoes that is not loaded down with a lot of extras! Roasting them in the oven does sound like a great idea. This one is well worth a try, those slices do look tasty-thanks for sharing.

Joanne said...

I'm fairly certain I could eat sweet potatoes for every meal and be quite content!

Aarthi said...

Yummy Recipe...I am gonna make it soon..Bookmarked it..

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Maggie said...

I am with you girl! I was certain I abhorred sweet potatoes until just recently when I got brave and took a bite of just sweet potato. Lightly salted and perfect. Since then I have branched out with different seasonings and I am definitely going to try your lime juice suggestion. YUM!!

glutenvygirl said...

Oh, wow. These look amazing! I love sweet potatoes, but not in the marshmallow/sugared sense. I will have to try these!

Kim - Liv Life said...

We had roasted sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving, but these are different! Our were very "Thanksgivingy", but these I could get used to! I also didn't really like sweet potatoes till I was nearly 40. Now I can't get enough of them, and lime is a wonderful complement!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

I feel the same exact way - by themselves they're great, but not smothered in sweet stuff. My favorite pairing is with bacon - it really brings out the natural sweetness.

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

These look fantastic! I love sweet potatoes! :)

Katherine Martinelli said...

I love sweet potatoes and this simple recipe seems like a great way to enjoy them!

Katerina said...

How can anyone not like sweet potatoes? Usually I make them with veal but I love this idea as well! This would easily enter into my favorite list too!

Steph said...

I can't get enough of sweet potatoes! They are one of my absolute favorites!! This is such a great recipe!

Cucina49 said...

Those look so good! I'm not a huge sweet potato fan, but with a little salt and acid I think they could be great.

Beth said...

I love sweet potatoes, any way at all!

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

this is a great reminder of a super post - wonderful flavor and a perfect snack - I have to make some!!
mary x

Lizzy said...

Oh, this could become one of my favorites, too! I love how you spiced them up with Cajun seasoning...mmmmmmm.

Kim Bee said...

Great job Kristen. I need to give sweet potatoes another try cuz these look amazing.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Oh no you are kidding me! You weren't into sweet potatoes before? I'm crazy about it all my life. I'd love this for snack over nuts. I need to try cajun spice + lime next time. Thanks for great suggestion!

yummychunklet said...

Looks delicious. Great side dish!

Sanjeeta kk said...

Oh...I like this healthy and yum snack!

Tiffany said...

Ooo, I bet the garlic with the sweet potato was amazing!

ping said...

Oh yessss!!! Spice them up! Paprika and cayenne's good too! Yum ... more munchies!

Claudia said...

Forgive me if this is a double comment - but I have been searching for a good peanut butter and jelly cookie for six months - and thanks to you - I think I found it!

bams Kitchen said...

Thanks for the new idea of gluten free snacks. Sweet potatoes are so yummy and even better when roasted. I was starting to feel like a hamster eating nuts all the time. BAM

Magic of Spice said...

I love these! I am a big fan of sweet potatoes and although I am OK with the holiday version, I much prefer them this way :) Delicious!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.