Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies

Although I am actually starting to enjoy the whole gluten free thing, I am sure YOU don't want to keep hearing about it.  However, I do have to admit one thing.  I went back over the 900+ posts on my blog to see how many of the old recipes were gluten free.  I was shocked (though I don't know why) to see how many were wheat based carb loaded desserts or breads.  Really, I don't know why I didn't name this blog "Carb Town" and just get it over with!
So, having admitted my addiction (that is the first step, right?), I am heading right back to what I know best.  I can make sugar loaded wheat flour treats and not eat them, right?  Yup.  So, I made the kiddos some peanut butter cookies.  But I was bored.  I think it had to do with seeing the two packages of 75 corn tortillas I had just purchased every time I opened the refrigerator.  So I added a little life to the cookies; a little jelly (which was really jam, but who's keeping track?)  My sons each wandered through the kitchen and said in rather offended tones, "what have you done to our cookies?!"  I don't know if they got together before hand and planned it or if they are all more alike than they'd like to admit.  Anyway, I repeated myself 4 times, "I am making peanut butter and jelly cookies.  You will like them, trust me."  They should know by now that I know their taste buds and that I would never lead them astray.  An hour later, after dinner, all the cookies were gobbled up.

I used my tried and true peanut butter cookie recipe and instead of criss crossing the top with a fork I made a little indentation and spooned on some strawberry jam.  Bake as normal.  They weren't exactly thumbprint cookies.  The dough is different.  But the idea is similar.


Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies:
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
Add egg and vanilla and mix. Combine dry ingredients and add. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet by teaspoons.   Press a little indentation with your fingers and fill with a little spoonful of jam or jelly.  Bake 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

39 comments:

Marina said...

Those are so good they would disappear from my kitchen in a blink of an eye!

yummychunklet said...

I'm glad these were a hit! I love finding new variations on PB&J cookies. These look delicious!

Anonymous said...

There's a great GF recipe for Peanut Butter cookies...in no way sugar free, but gluten free yes!
1c. Peanut Butter
1c. Brown Sugar
1 egg
Make like normal (may need to dip fork in sugar to keep from sticking to the cookies) bake 350 for 8-10 mins.

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

lol Your son's reaction made me laugh! It's funny how kids notice everything. The cookies looks great - I love the addition of jam!

Belinda @zomppa said...

These cookies are awesome!! PB&J any way!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts said...

Why must our children question everything! We are their mothers, they need to learn to TRUST us!!
Cookies look wonderful!

Steph said...

Peanut butter and jelly cookies?!! This is brilliant. I'd want the cookie jar to be sitting right next to me all day...for easy snacking!

Steph said...

Peanut butter and jelly cookies?!! This is brilliant. I'd want the cookie jar to be sitting right next to me all day...for easy snacking!

gobakeyourself said...

My jaw often drops when I visit your blog but I have to protest - you can hardly blame me!
These cookies look do cute and of course, feature gorgeous flavours :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Hexa-Chocolate Muffins

Sheila said...

My four year old asked me recently if I could make him pb&j for lunch every day. I didn't really want to, but I could add something like these when I don't make him pb&j sandwiches.

I recently made some pb&j cupcakes. I think everyone is craving that combination!

Tina said...

Even though they say pb &j is for kids, I think that adults enjoy the combination as well! Your cookies look tasty! Glad you are enjoying gluten free food! Have a great weekend!

Suzi said...

I agree with Tina, adults love pbj and the next time I make peanut butter cookies I am doing what you did. Put some jam in the center.
This is cool.

Cucina49 said...

These have such a lovely retro feel to them--it's fun to play with different flavors of jam in this kind of recipe!

Eileen said...

I think these cookies sound delicious. I love anything with peanut butter but there is nothing better than a good old-fashioned pb cookie, except one with jelly!

WIneDineDivas said...

Oh my, this would be gone by us in 60 seconds... Wonderful recipe.
Cheers:)
J&C

The Harried Cook said...

Classic combination.. I am glad they turned out great! They look very cute :) Thanks for sharing, Kristen!

Claudia said...

I had my first peanut butter and jelly cookies in Chicago this year - and oh wow! I'm not a cookie person - but oh wow! I have been searching for something similar and these look to be it!

ping said...

What a great idea for peanut butter and jelly! I don't think this'll last too long in this house :D

Aarthi said...

YUMMY YUMMY

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Ann said...

Carb town! LOL! I kept reading expecting to hear you ground your tortillas and used them for the flour in your cookies!

Jenn Kendall said...

i love the idea of turning peanut butter and jelly sandwiches into cookies! you have such interesting recipes here!

Jean said...

What a great idea. I would gobbled these up, too! Never thought of adding jelly to peanut butter cookies!

Anonymous said...

These are crowd pleasers Kristen! I am sure they are as good as their name!

Tiffanee said...

These look so delicious. I've been wanting to make these for awhile. Now you got me wanting them right now!!

Lizzy said...

LOL, Carb town would be a great blog. Not great for your system per se, but a fun name. Your cookies look so good!

PS...I have such a picky family, that it's tough to get high fives from everyone over a Dorie recipe. But FFwD has pushed me to try some new dishes...some that I'd have steered clear of without the group.

Kim Bee said...

I love these cookies. I give you credit for trying this new gf lifestyle. It's a tough thing to do.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

These were an excellent treat for your kiddos! It is so hard to avoid wheat-based and carb foods! We've become so addicted to them!

Like anonymous said, I make pretty much the same recipe for wheat free PB cookies, but I add less sugar or I make them with Stevia so they are sugar free!

Sandi said...

Haha, carb town is looking good from where I'm sitting.. Terrific recipe!
Always appreciate your good humor :)

Monet said...

Hi Kristen! Peanut butter and jelly will ALWAYS make me smile. Thank you for sharing with me...and thank you for your kind words on my own blog. You make me smile! I hope you have a relaxing Sunday!

Mother Rimmy said...

Who doesn't love peanut butter and jelly. Terrific idea to turn it into a cookie!

Asmita said...

Peanut butter and jelly cookies would be a big hit in my house for sure, not just with my little one but also with the grown ups. These look yum!!!

Tiffany said...

I have been on a MAJOR PB kick lately! These look fantastic! Time to add them to my arsenal!

Maggie said...

What a clever idea! I don't know a single kid that wouldn't go ga-ga over these cookes! And since I have PB&J about three times a week for lunch (simply because I love it so much) I know I would adore these cookies too.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

That's funny! I've had the same thought many times! We had to do this project last semester in my nutrition class where we wrote down everything we ate for a week, plugged it into this program which analyzed what we ate and told us what we needed to change. Over half of what I ate was straight carbs!

The Mom Chef said...

Kids are funny about change, aren't they. I would have gobbled those up without a question or thinking twice. They look amazing.

mywanderingspoon said...

Really, what have you done to the cookies?
They look super yummy and real homemade, yum:)
Kids are kids, same thing here:)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist said...

I love peanut butter thumbprints!

Magic of Spice said...

"Carb Town"...too funny! These are adorable and such a fun idea :)

Happy When Not Hungry said...

I def need to make these because I love PB & J!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.