Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Lasagna Soup: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

I have had my eye on this soup for a long time.  The idea of a bowl full of pasta in a sausage filled tomato sauce with a dollop of ricotta/parmesan on top really had me excited to try it.  What I needed, though, was a cold day.  Luckily, Mother Nature obliged.
This recipe has made the rounds of the internet.  I always try to find the original source to site. I think this came from the cookbook 300 Senstational Soups, but I found it on A Farm Girls Dabbles.  I did just a little bit of adaptation to the recipe because I had what I had in the fridge and, as a rule, I never run to the store just for one recipe.

Lasagna Soup (adapted from This Recipe)
1 pound Sweet (mild) Italian Sausage
1 onion + 1 bunch green onions (the original recipe called for 3 cups of onions)
2 heaping teaspoons of minced garlic (or 4 cloves)
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 28 ounce can crushed Italian style tomatoes
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups beef stock
8 ounces whole wheat fusilli pasta
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup ricotta
1 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan
In a large Dutch oven, brown the sausage.  If it is too lean, add 1 Tbsp olive oil.  Remove the meat from the pan and add the onions.  Saute over medium heat until softened.  Add the garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, cooking for 1 minute.  Add the tomato paste, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes until the paste changes to a brownish red.  Add tomatoes and stocks.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  Add pasta, cooking for 10 more minutes or until pasta is just done.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta and other cheese.  To serve, ladle soup into bowl, add a spoonful of cheese mixture to center of soup. Sprinkle with more Italian seasoning if desired.

Now it's your turn to show off what you have been making!



33 comments:

Ann said...

Delicious! I'm glad you got to make the soup....but not exactly thrilled with the cold weather! However, this soup might just be worth it!

Rosemary said...

I have no doubt that this would be a hit in this house! Lasagne in a bowl! Perfect!

Sandi said...

I wish you could have heard the loud GASP I just made when I saw your post...YUUUUM! Lasagna soup sounds wonderful :)

Liz said...

Looks so yummy! I don't do soups a lot for some reason. This makes me want to start.

Miz Helen said...

Good Morning Kristen,
Your soup looks awesome! I am sharing my Dilly Bread today. Thank you for hosting and have a wonderful week!
Miz Helen

Aarthi said...

Wow..Yummy one...Thanks for posting

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Joy Calipes-Felizardo said...

Gee, that's so easy to do, my kisd would love a bowl of this. Thanks for giving me the inspiration to do something for my left-over pastas. Hope you guys don't me adding my ink.
Thanks!

Anita Stafford said...

Kristen, I have shared Beef Stew and Chocolate Cherry Torte. Your soup looks yummy! Thank you for hosting!

Jessica said...

Thanks for hosting! Join us for Cultured Foods Monday with a recipe for cultured ginger root.

http://naturallivingsocal.blogspot.com/2012/01/cultured-foods-monday.html

Becky Jane said...

This looks and sounds like such a yummy soup for my cold wintery day! I ♥ lasagna and soup!

Steph said...

I made this soup recently and fell in love with it!! It's such a good warmer uper!

Katerina said...

It is freezing outside with temperatures below zero something not very common for Athens. This soup would give me a very warm and cozy feeling, something I need right now!

Cucina49 said...

That looks so terrific and hearty! I like the substitution you've done with the green onions, too.

Katherine Martinelli said...

Oohh yum! Lasagna is one of my favorites and I've never thought of turning it into a soup - this looks delicious! Warm and cozy for a cold day like you said.

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Wow, that looks really satisfying. I love Italian dishes with sausage, too. I'm going to try this soon!

Marina said...

My son loves Lasagna, I am sure he would love this soup. With cold front coming to our parts of the country it would fit the menu just right. Thanks for the recipe!

Eileen said...

I love soup. It's always good this time of year in New York. Never seen this recipe before - thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

I love lasagna and this would be a definite hit in my house!

Tina said...

Glad you finally gave in and made this soup! That picture showing how rich the broth is has won me over. Very flavorful, no doubt. Yum!

Prathima Rao said...

What a fab idea for a soup!!! All i wanna do is just grab that bowl of soup & devour!!
prathima Rao
Prats Corner

drick perry said...

I have not seen this recipe so it is new to me and sounds really good... with any luck, you should be back in the 70's as we are, bet you never thought you would see that in Jan...

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

lasagna in a bowl?!? Hubby would ask for seconds for sure!

easyfoodsmith said...

The soup is looking flavourful and very delicious.

Lizzy said...

Oh, I'm thinking we'd have some fans of this one at my house!!! Yummy...and we're going from 60º and thunderstorms to flurries all in one day. Time for more soup!

mywanderingspoon said...

Very interesting soup. I think lasagna is one of my favorite dishes so I would love to try this soup. Thanks for posting:)

bam's Kitchen said...

Lasagna in a soup bowl. Thats a winner! Great ida to have ready for the kids when they come home from school starving. Take Care, BAM

Susan Lindquist said...

I am telling you .... I am loving all the wonderful soups that are making their way around the Internet right now! My recipe file in my 'Favorites' is filling up!
Great choice for your recipe share, Kristen!

The Harried Cook said...

I love soup. I love lasagna. This sounds like the perfect meal for me! I've missed your blog while I've been away, Kristen! So glad to be back! :)

wok with ray said...

Lasagna Soup is just like having a double treat. It looks delicious, Kristen.

Alicia said...

I made this tonight and my family LOVED it! Plus, it took one third of the time of making actual lasagna!!!!

Mother Rimmy said...

What a terrific idea - lasagna flavor without all the work!

Beth Michelle said...

Yummm. Cold day or not I would love this!

Kim Bee said...

Me likey. I can haz lasagna soup? Puleeze?

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.