Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Hashbrown Casserole

My house doesn't really have heat.  We live in Florida, so it's not supposed to get really cold, I guess.  We have a fireplace and we have a button on our thermostat that says "emergency heat."  When the temperatures get down below freezing, that is the button the AC guy said to press....for short periods of time.  So about 10 days ago, we had a cold snap come through with temperatures down in the 30s at night for three nights.  Neighbors rushed out to cover their palm trees with blankets while I got out extra blankets for the humans in my house.  We woke up each morning with the inside temperature at 65....and we ninnies were COLD!  So I threw on the oven and made hot meals each morning.  Luckily, we have a fairly small house with an open floor plan, so only the bedrooms remained chilly once the oven got going.
For this breakfast casserole, I simply grabbed what I had on hand: eggs, frozen hashbrowns, leftover ham,a green pepper, an onion and some cheese.  It was a very hearty breakfast and gave the shivering children something to warm their insides...along with the mug of hot chocolate they all drank.

Hashbrown Casserole
1 24 ounce bag shredded hashbrowns
12 eggs
2 cups chopped ham
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 pound Velveeta (or other shelf stable solid cheese product), cubed
In a skillet, saute the green pepper and onion in a little bit of oil.  When soft, combine with remaining ingredients in a large greased casserole or a 9X13 pan.  Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees or until browned and bubbly...but not burned.

19 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I know what you mean. We have heat in our house, but it is not very efficient or cheap to run it. In the winter our house will stay so cool inside (must be the terrazzo floor that hold the cold in) and it's 78 outside, so we open the doors and windows to let the heat in. Or like you...just use the oven. :) I am loveing this hashbrown breakfast casserole, when will you be serving this in the morning? I'll be over! :0

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

I feel you - our heat was broken during the cold snap. I finally broke down and paid someone to fix it because I couldn't take the cold hands anymore! I drank LOTS of hot tea...

Martha said...

We have snow and I am hungry. That looks really yummy. Is there any left?

Lemon said...

This looks like a lovely breakfast. Hope it's getting warmer now where you live.

Darlene said...

I grew up in St. Pete and lived for years in Tallahassee, so I know what you're talking about with the heat.

Now I live in North GA and my heater is SET to 65 - I can't afford to set it higher. So I'm going brrrr with you. My trick is to put on more clothing. Yeah, never thought to wear a sweatshirt OVER a regular shirt. And keeping socks AND shoes/slippers on helps a lot, too. sigh. I hate shoes!

Belinda @zomppa said...

It IS finally getting chilly!! I only wish that there was snow when it's so cold. My windows are so drafty, I turn up the heat AND I wear socks and wrap myself in my mohair blanket all day long. Thank goodness for hot water bottles! This is the kind of breakfast I'd lvoe to wake up to!

Ann said...

I didn't realize you had only emergency heat! It does make for chili mornings, but this breakfast casserole is delicious! LOVE this sort of thing! Stay warm!

Prathima Rao said...

Makes for such a healthy & yummy breakfast!!! The pic is making me hungry :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Little Mommy said...

Looks sooo good! I love a hot breakfast! Missing your (usually warm) Florida weather... we are chilly up here in VA!

Tina said...

Strange about that button, I used to live there and we did not have that. Down to the 30's is cold for Florida though. Glad you made use of the oven for this delicious breakfast and to get your house more toasty.
Mixing hash browns with eggs does sound like a delicious idea-and the end result in that picture sure does look good! Enjoy the weekend!

Joanne said...

I'd be walking around in five sweatshirts...but then again, I'm always cold! This casserole sounds like the perfect way to warm up!

drick perry said...

I know a lot of folks south of you, all do not have heat, but it surprises me your area does not... seems you would be about the same temp range as us, only farther east...
love your breakfast casserole, would love to wake up to this, it is 28 here this morning... crazy

easyfoodsmith said...

I have never such a casserole before. It sounds delicious. An award is waiting to be collected by you at my blog. http://www.easyfoodsmith.blogspot.com

Erin said...

This sounds absolutely wonderful! 65 degrees is cold in the house. But I would give my right arm right now if it was 65 degrees outside!!!

Kim Bee said...

I'm in Canada so emergency heat is foreign to me. We have ours on from about oct/nov to march/april. Costs a bloody fortune too. I almost choked when you said 65 was cold. But I suppose it would be. I keep the house set pretty warm as I am a ninny too. 71 to 73 is my ideal temperature. I need to move, I must be adopted as there's no way I'm a tried and true Canuck. Love the recipe. My hubs would go absolutely nutso for this ons.

Katerina said...

Oh here is really cold these days and it is going to get colder next week! This would be the perfect breakfast during these days! Have a great weekend Kristen!

Lizzy said...

Sounds yummy, Kristen! My in-laws were mentioning how the weather has turned in FL...no fun!

Magic of Spice said...

What a nice way to warm up! We are pretty wimpy here in CA too, I am freezing when anything below 60 hit, sad I know. But we are not prepared for these temps and i am with you on the oven deal, baking warms up the house and deals out delicious
results :)

Becky Jane said...

This is my favorite Christmas morning breakfast! A tradition in our family!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.