Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Ham and Spinach Soup

This was supposed to be a smoked sausage and turnip greens soup.  It was supposed to be made in the crock pot.  A friend of mine gave me the recipe and I have actually tasted it the way it was originally intended, and it's really good soup.  Only I had ham.  Lots of ham.  And then there was this package of fresh spinach in my bin that needed using.  It went in instead of greens...but spinach is green and leafy so that counts.  Sort of.
And you don't even want to get me started on the Glory butter beans I used.  I might start typing in a southern accent if I tell you how amazing they are.  And I definitely do not have a southern accent.  There is food in the south that is simply not available anywhere else in the country.  It's like the first time I went to an Uwajimaya store in the Seattle area or a Latin grocery in Arizona, except this isn't foreign food...it's hidden American food that 3/4 of the country doesn't know about!!!  Who knew that you could buy canned rutabaga or yellow summer squash or cabbage-that-isn't-sauerkraut??? 
So I give you a 30 minute version of a 4 hour soup.  With changes.  And bubbles apparently, now that I am looking at the photos again.  The soup was fresh from the hot pot and I had been stirring it to get the steam to go away.  I must have been a little too vigorous in my efforts.

Ham and Spinach Soup:
2+ cups cubed leftover ham (as much as you want)
1 10 ounce package fresh spinach
2 quarts chicken stock
2 cans white beans, drained
1 package Knorr vegetable soup mix
Combine the first four ingredients in a large Dutch oven and heat to boil.  Turn down heat and simmer.  Add soup mix and continue to cook 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Season to taste.

19 comments:

Little Mommy said...

This looks really good - I love soup!

Monet said...

I'm all about quick and delicious soups! Thank you for sharing yet another delectable post. I'm exhausted after my first day back from vacation, but happy to be reading your words and seeing your eats! I hope you are doing well, my friend.

The Harried Cook said...

I love soups... Great recipe, Kristen! Been away for a while and I can't wait to catch up on what you've been posting! Happy New Year!

Ann said...

A 30 minute version of a 4 hour soup is MY kind of recipe! Isn't it amazing how REGIONAL some foods can be! Before you know it, you'll be say "Hey y'all!" I PROMISE that Paula Deen isn't the only one who says it - we all do down here!

Tiffanee said...

Yum! Love soup and this looks so delicious and healthy!! Gotta try it out!

Prathima Rao said...

Healthy, delicious soup!!!! Wishing u and ur family a happy new year ;)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

drick perry said...

now I love a bowl of collard greens soup, like the turnip green I suppose so I know this spinach is equally appealing,,
nice way of wording your new finds of foods here in the south...
there is a brand you might also try, Margaret Holmes that is southernly seasoned... http://www.margaretholmes.com/about-us/

Suzi said...

Butter beans are cool even without the southern accent. Very nice soup. Green is king whichever one you use. I have to say though I do not like collards.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I'm sort of curious 4 hour recipe but to be honest I don't have that much time to make a soup. =P Ham and spinach is fabulous. I usually have a lot of leftover hams after holidays but never made a soup out of it. Thanks for the GREAT idea! Did you buy anything from Uwajimaya? :-)

Baker Street said...

Ham and spinach! Genius! Love the idea and the soup looks delicious!

Sandi said...

I want to see you type in a southern accent!

2 1/2 short lines of directions, you've sold me :)

Tiffany said...

Hearty and soul warming... like the perfect soup should be! :D

Lizzy Do said...

Looks delish! I love the idea of adding spinach to a bean soup :) Have a wonderful weekend!

PS...did you ever get your tomatoes or do I need to email the rep again (she never answered my original email after giving her your name)? Just let me know.

Eileen said...

The soup sound delicious. I love homemade soup - can't go wrong! Hubby just made enough pea and ham soup to feed an army...

Magic of Spice said...

I don't think I have ever seen a ham soup...I bet my kids would just love this :)

Beth Michelle said...

This soup sounds great! There is nothing better than a warm bowl of soup in the cold weather!

Yesim said...

soup is the best especially for cold winter days..

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

I love this soup. I always forget that ham works well in soups!

Elizabeth. said...

MMM, ham, spinach, and soup... 3 of my most favorite foods in this whole world. Now I have to make a ham so I can have leftovers and make this soup. Sounds and looks delicious. THanks for the recipe. :)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.