Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

The Fabled Chocolate Chip Cookie: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

This is an oldie but goodie, or should I say "greatie."  If you haven't heard the story of the woman who thought she was buying a chocolate chip cookie recipe for $2.50 and ended up with a bill for $250, you just haven't been keeping up with your Urban Legends.  My mom clipped this recipe from a newspaper in the 1980s.  The crazy idea of buying a recipe for way too much money goes back to at least the 1940s, though some sources I found say someone bought a cake recipe in the 1920s for a whopping $35 and then sought revenge by sharing it with the world.  In fact, all of the stories are false, but this recipe is worth sharing.
After all, who wouldn't like to eat a cookie filled with not only semi-sweet chocolate chips and oatmeal, but also a grated up 8 (now 7) ounce milk chocolate candy bar, too?  This treat packs a serious chocolate punch!  The version I have seen all over the internet is double what Mom had in her recipe file.  Her recipe makes 6 dozen large cookies, so unless you are baking for an entire school, summer camp or four teenage boys, you may not want to even look at the other recipes which will yield you 12+ dozen.
If you don't have a great chocolate chip recipe, or even if you do and want a little change, you have got to try these cookies.  They are thick, soft, chocolate-y and wonderful.   Add nuts or dried fruit.  Go a little crazy.  You will love these.

The $250 Chocolate Chip Cookie: (no one knows who created the legend or cookie)
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups oatmeal flour (blend 2 1/2 cups regular oats in blender until flour-like)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour
1 12 ounce package semi sweet chocolate chips
1 7 ounce Hershey bar, grated (pulverized in blender)
1 1/2 cups toasted pecans or walnuts (optional)
Cream butter and sugars.  Scrape down bowl and add eggs and vanilla.  Scrape down bowl.  Add dry ingredients and mix well.  Stir or mix in chocolates and nuts.  Scoop on to ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.  Remove to a wire rack and cool.

Your turn!  What's cooking in your kitchen this new year?  Are you going healthier in your meals? 




32 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I've made this cookie and it is quite good. The fact that the story is so well known is amazing! It truly is probably one of the most popular cookies out there because of the story.

Aarthi said...

lovely cookies

Gloria said...

These cookies look lovely:)

Joanne said...

I feel like I'm always kind of searching the BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe. And for $250, this had BETTER be it! :P

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I have heard this story, but I don't think I have ever seen the recipe - it sounds amazing! I love the idea of the grated chocolate - wow! Thank you for sharing, and for hosting the linky too. I've shared my favorite cake recipes of 2011. Happy New Year to you and yours!

drick perry said...

oh yeah, are you referring to the Neiman Marcus cookie? that is a urban legend, a great one and a great cookie...
Have a great NY and best wishes for a wonderful 2012

Loveforfood said...

Everything here looks wonderful!

Jessica said...

I've made those cookies before! So yummy! Today I posted about a fermented applesauce full of great probiotics to support your immune system.

http://naturallivingsocal.blogspot.com/2012/01/fermenting-part-4-fermented-applesauce.html

Miz Helen said...

Good Morning!
Those cookies need to be in my cookie jar. I am sharing my Top 10 Recipe's for 2011 today. Thanks for hosting and have a great week!
Miz Helen

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

I love chocolate chip cookies - and I always love trying new versions of them. This looks like one to try!

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

these cookies sure look good, they might be worth $250 on a given day if God forbid there's a shortage of chocolate!

Cathy W said...

I remember this cookie! Thank you for bringing it back--it just so happens I need a good chocolate chip cookie recipe. Your pics are making me crave one right now...

Martha said...

Oh, no! Check these out! I think I shall die. :)

http://cookiesandcups.com/ice-cream-cone-cannoli/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+cookiesandcups+%2528cookies+and+cups%2529

Lizzy Do said...

Oh, I LOVE, love, love these cookies. But hubby notices the oatmeal...and is not a fan :( I really need an excuse to make these winners...truly one of my all time favorites!!! And I'm so excited I'm here in time to join in your party :)

Ann said...

I remember that recipe and story! Believe it or not, I've never had or made the cookie, although I have the recipe! Thank you for bringing it to my attention....I have some neighbors who moved in that I LOVE baking for!

Tiffany said...

I've never heard of this urban legend!

Mrs. No-No said...

i have heard a story similar to this about the neiman marcus cookie recipe... is this the same "legend"??
thanks for the cool linky - happy new year! (:
carla from vb
http://mrsnonoknows.blogspot.com/2011/04/carrot-and-red-pepper-soup.html#en

Army of Moms said...

Chocolate chip cookies YUM. $250 not so YUM. Getting revenge...the sweetest treat of all. That is why the legend is so popular.

The Mom Chef said...

I remember this recipe too. I probably even cut it out and passed it around. Who doesn't pull for the little guy, right?

Your version does look amazing. Ground up chocolate and chocolate chips. Wow.

NaturalHairLatina said...

Yummy, curvy curvacious woman on a #diet. Thanks for sharing. Will share with #network.

Tiffanee said...

Ive made those and they are delicious!! Thanks for the great reminder!!

CrazyNutsMom said...

I believe I have made these before, they are delicious! I love cookies! Adding oatmeal, makes them healthy, right?

I'm a new follower from voicebox.

Regina
www.thecrazynutsmom.com

Sandi said...

I can see the moistness of these cookies from my kitchen table..YUM!

And I haven't heard this story before!

Magic of Spice said...

I had not heard of these legends :) The cookies due indeed look delightful!
Happy 2012!

Michelle said...

Oh wow these cookies look so yummy. We love chocolate chip cookies in our house. I'm going to give this recipe a try. So just to make sure I've got this right I can just put some rolled oats in a blender to get oatmeal flour?

Our New Year hasn't started up healthy as I made a batch of a Canadian and a family favorite butter tarts. If you haven't had them you're missing out they are so good with raisins and nuts with a brown sugar/syrup combo. Hard to explain you have to try them :)

Just came over from VB but I'll be back to check out more recipes :)

Maggie said...

I have made these cookies and they are absolutely fabulous! For sure one of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes of all time. We are going to lay off the sweet for awhile in my house, but we usually eat fairly healthy throughout the year anyway. Just eating way too much sugar lately. Happy New Year!!

shari brooks said...

love your link party. For the New Year I linked up: chocolate cake truffles, gingerbread and some yummy baked brie! enjoy! shari@myjudythefoodie

Cucina49 said...

I've heard the legends of these cookies, but never tried them. I think it's about time I did!

AMBER EDWARDS said...

I should NOT have found your blog. I repeat, I should NOt have found your blog! I absolutely LOVE it! It is now bookmarked, following GFC and going to be a fun adventure exploring all your amazing recipes! haha. WOw, all your food looks so amazing! And this link up is absolutely wonderful! thank you!

I do love that your recipe makes a much smaller batch of cookies, this will be a VERY good thing for me; as i don't need all those extra cookies around tempting me. haha.


Your VB Friend
JadeLouise Designs

Beth Michelle said...

I have a go to chocolate chip cookie recipe but how can I turn down trying out a $250 recipe?! These do look pretty amazing!

Elyse @The Cultural Dish said...

This cookie looks and sounds amazing! I love the tale too... yum!

ameanderingmango said...

Funny story about the cookie - looks like a great recipe. I love chocolate chip cookies with oatmeal - thanks for sharing!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.