Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Eggplant Green Curry with Millet

 Let me preface this by saying that eggplant doesn't photograph well in my world.  Period.  My apologies.

A while ago, I was asked if I'd like to try one World Foods sauces.   A few weeks later, a bottle of Thai Green Curry sauce arrived.  I looked on their website to see what kind of recipes were suggested.  All of them included meat of some sort.  I thought I'd go another route.  I had an eggplant in my vegetable bin just begging to be used.
I also have a bunch of millet in my pantry.  Have you tried it?  I don't use it often, but it is a nice gluten free alternative to rice. It is shaped like tiny little white balls.  It doesn't puff up too much when cooked and has a nice little crunch to it.  This meal made a nice, quick throw together meal. (I just used the word "nice" 3 times...like it's nice to be nice to the nice..)
 World Foods Thai Green Curry sauce is very mild.  I mean at a restaurant with a 4 pepper scale of hotness, this would be 1/4 pepper mild.  There are peppers listed in the ingredients, but there was no kick.  It had a subtle lime aroma, but tasted mostly of cumin.  I am now wondering what some of the other ready to use Thai Green Curry sauces on the market taste like and how they compare.  I have only ever made homemade curry or had it in restaurants.
Eggplant Green Curry with Millet:
1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
4 cloves garlic
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1 12 ounce jar Thai Green Curry sauce
1 1/2 cups dry millet
3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
In a skillet, saute the eggplant and garlic in the olive oil until the eggplant is cooked.  Add the curry sauce and simmer.  In a saucepan, heat the broth and millet to boiling.  Cover and cook 15 minutes or until broth is absorbed and millet is softened.  Serve the curry sauce on top of the millet.  Salt and pepper to taste.


Note: I received a free bottle of curry sauce from World Foods.  All opinions are my own.

17 comments:

Ann said...

I'm a HUGE fan of eggplant AND curry - so this is my kind of dish! I've not tried green curry - although I'm a fan of red curry - so I'll check it out!

yummychunklet said...

Looks delicious. Love eggplant, and a curried version sounds tasty.

Anne@FromMySweetHeart said...

Kristen....there are always certain foods, as fabulous as they are..that will never photograph well! And while eggplant may be one of those....it is one of my most favorite vegetables! And this looks awesome! I've never tried millet before...but you've got me intrigued! And thanks for being the 'heatometer' for this sauce. I could probably use a little more heat, too! : )

Marina said...

Kristen, don't worry about the picture, it's nice...:)
Seriously, eggplant doesn't need a colorful introduction, it is a king of all vegetables (IMHO) along with tomatoes.

Vimitha Anand said...

Thats a healthy and yummy combo Kristen

ping said...

Eggplant green curry ... awesome! It's always chicken or beef or pork. I like this version.
Your bottled sauce was definitely made for anywhere-but-asia market. The ones we have here (at least the ones I've tried) are clear-your-earwax hot! Not a very appetizing description, sorry. How about clear-your-sinuses hot? No? :D

gobakeyourself said...

Mmm loving this dish - I can almost smell that sliced eggplant (dam I am hungry :D)
Wonderful recipe!!!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Aarthi said...

This is my favorite..YUMMY

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Tiffany said...

Ooo, I can just smell that green curry!

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

The eggplant may not photograph well, but this dish sure sounds great!

Juliana said...

Oh Kristen, I have an eggplant in the fridge...and I will try it with curry...looks so tasty.
Have a great week :)

Cucina49 said...

I think eggplant just doesn't photograph well, period. I love the idea of this curry and never use millet--what a great meal!

Only fish recipes said...

First time in ur space n I loved it absolutely......I love eggplant n I loved this version of the recipe......glad to follow ur space.....do visit mine in ur free time :-)

Lizzy said...

Yeah, some foods are so hard to photograph...I have a meatloaf that I'm trying again in a couple weeks. The pictures always stink! It still looks tasty, Kristen...another fan of eggplant here :)

The Harried Cook said...

I love eggplant, and my husband is crazy about it too.. and yeah, some foods just don't photograph well! I am sure this tasted yummy... lovely flavors!

Susan Lindquist said...

I hear you ... some foods just aren't photogenic. It takes lots pf props and perfect lighting to get them to look super appealing ... but the recipe is what really counts and this one looks so intriguing!

beti said...

I love eggplant, specially in a nice comforting way like in here, millet sounds perfect with it

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.