Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Creme Brulee Is Much Easier Than You Might Think

Every time I have an excess of half & half in the fridge, I either make ice cream or creme brulee.  Mostly the decision to make either depends on the weather.  Right now, it's a wee bit colder in Florida, so when I picked up some half & half for a ridiculously small amount of money, I knew most of it was destined for my ramekins.  I received a kitchen torch for Christmas 2010 and hadn't tried it out yet.  Let me tell you, I had way too much fun with that torch. 
If any of you  have been hesitant to try making creme brulee because you thought it might be hard, let me put your mind at ease.  It is completely easy peasy.  Truly.  Heat a little half & half, add it to an egg sugar mixture along with some vanilla.  Bake.  Cool.  Torch.

Creme Brulee (from the Joy of Cooking)
2 cups half & half (or whipping cream)
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
extra sugar for caramelizing
Heat the half & half in either a saucepan or a microwave safe bowl until hot but not boiling.  In a bowl, mix eggs and sugar.  Gradually pour in the half & half, stirring quickly so the egg does not cook.  Add the vanilla bean paste.  Transfer the egg liquid to a pourable container through a sieve.  You want to get any bits of egg that didn't mix OUT.  Pour the liquid into 6-4ounce ramekins.  Place them into a water bath and bake in a 325 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.  You want the contents to still jiggle, but to seem set.  Cool on the counter for 30 minutes, cover with a tight plastic wrap and then refrigerate for 8 hours or over night.  Right before serving, sprinkle with some sugar and either broil until the sugar melts or torch it. (as a recently converted torcher, I vote for the FLAME!).

32 comments:

Bam's Kitchen said...

You have to love anything you need to torch before you bring it out to the table. It makes it look like we have really slaved in the kitchen. I love creme brulee so glad this recipe looks so simple to make. Take care, BAM

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

They look beautiful!

carolinaheartstrings said...

I will take the cold of Florida. I miss living there. NC is frigid today! Yeah for a weekend warm up into the 60s. Love your post!

Ann said...

LOVE this post! It's amazing what delicious results you can get with creme brulee! I also have a kitchen torch - and it's much more fun than broiling! Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you made this!

P.S. I am NOT enjoying the cold!

Mother Rimmy said...

I have to admit I've been hesitant to try this dish because it looked to complicated. You've inspired me to give it a try!

Christine's Pantry said...

This looks beautiful.

ping said...

Lovely! I feel your glee! I remembered doing the pyro dance around the kitchen when I'd got my first kitchen torch. Oooo ... all the fun you're gonna have :D

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

i have a torch on my wish list for a while now. i love creme brulee. yum!!

Pegasuslegend said...

Always wanted to try this and now looking at this delicious photo I am bookmarking thanks for the recipe Happy New Year! As far as torching I just pour booze on top and light it lol!

Lizzy Do said...

Mmmmmmm...one of our favorite desserts~

Suzi said...

Looks delicious. I have never made this before but I am going to give it a try. The idea of the torch scares I would probably set off my fire alarm. hehe. Yep it is cold here in Central FL too this morning, 31 degrees. Looks like my cauliflower made it though. Happy New Year.

Loveforfood said...

thanks for sharing the recipe!

The Fajdich Times said...

This is a favorite of mine. Thanks for sharing your recipe:)

Dara said...

I am so impressed! I have always been intimidated by creme brulee. This looks gorgeous.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Looks just delicious... One of my wife's favorite dishes and I have a torch as well... thanks for the nudge

Dave

The Mom Chef said...

I have a kitchen torch sitting in the cupboard that's never been used and this is just the reason I bought the thing. Looking at your beautiful picture has given me the slap upside the head I need. Thank you!

Tiffany said...

That IS easier than I thought! :D

Beth Michelle said...

Ive always been intimidated to make creme brulee and its my favorite, you have inspired me!!

Cucina49 said...

I've never made creme brulee because I don't have one of the little torches--I can only imagine how fun it would be to have one!

Marina said...

It looks easier than I thought. I need to give it a try. Thanks for recipe!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

I'm with you! Torches are SO much fun!!

Jill @ MadAboutMacarons said...

Can just see you with that torch. I also love making them to use up egg yolks for making macarons but have to admit that the brulée bit is the best part! Although be careful: was torching directly at the table with friends last year and just about set the table alight!

Joanne said...

I am ALWAYS shocked at how easy creme brulee is to make! And how delicious it turns out every time. It's such amazing stuff.

Tina said...

Glad to see this post because I have shied away from making this with the belief it was difficult. Now I am ready to tackle making this delicious dessert. Thanks for sharing this one!

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

You convinced me.!! I can't wait to try to make it..

Katerina said...

Looks very elegant Kristen! I have never tried making creme brulee! Looking at yours makes me want to make it right now!

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

I truly LOVE creme brulee - this looks so delicious and you've convinced me that it's not SO difficult to make
mary x

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I have always wanted to make creme brulee but it's been intimidating. You make it sound so easy. I really need to try it now!

2 Kids and Tired Cooks

Tiffanee said...

Oh this is my biggest weakness. Love it. Now that you tell me it is easy I must make it!!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Wow this sounds so easy! I am going to make this. I sometimes have extra half and half or whip cream (I usually cook Asian food, so when I need this for a Western recipe, I don't know what to do with leftover). This is a fantastic way to use the leftover. I will bookmark this recipe. Is this an easy version or this is typical Creme Brulee recipe?

Magic of Spice said...

I have such a weak spot for creme brulee...it looks fantastic!

SharleneT said...

Now, I'm going to have to kill you because I absolutely adore crème brûlée and this recipe is just too easy. I love my kitchen torch, too, and keep looking for ways to use it. For years, I used a simple shop torch (which isn't nearly as attractive) and found that just as good. But, it is much hotter than a professional kitchen torch so you do have to be careful. Thanks for sharing and come visit when you can.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.