Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Citrus and Blueberry Casserole

This breakfast is full of Florida goodness at its best: lemons, limes, blueberries, and local honey.  Before moving here, I associated blueberries with nothern states, but actually, I am within 10 miles of multiple blueberry farms.  The only difference is that they are DONE producing here by June and in places like Washington, they don't even start until mid-July!
I am submitting this recipe to the Breakfasts of the World Challenge over at Very Good Recipes.  I am labeling it a recipe from the USA because of the ingredients, so I am not calling it a French Toast Casserole (despite the loaf of French bread in it)(and  the white stuff is 1/3 less fat cream cheese instead of Neufchatel)
So we have bread, cream cheese, blueberries and zest of multiple citrus fruits soaked in a milk, egg, honey mixture topped with a citrus/blueberry syrup.  My children said all sorts of lovely things as they ate this.  I can tell you that the syrup made the dish.  I used a combination of lime and lemon, but you could throw some orange into the mix, too.

Citrus and Blueberry Casserole:
1 loaf of bread, broken into small pieces
1 8 ounce brick cream cheese, cut into small cubes
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 lemon
2 limes (normal sized, not key limes)
1/3 cup honey
10 eggs
1/4 tsp lemon extract
2 cups milk
2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup water
Layer the bread cubes, cream cheese, zest of both the lemon and limes and 1 cup of blueberries two times each in a greased 9 X 13 pan (bread, cheese, berries, zest, bread, cheese, berries, zest).  Mix the eggs, milk, extract and honey in a bowl and pour over the bread mixture. (The honey will want to clump up, so whisk it well, especially as you pour the last 1/2 cup of liquid in the bowl) Cover the pan with foil and let it sit for 30 minutes on the counter. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes covered and 30 minutes uncovered. Meanwhile, juice the three fruits.  Add enough water to make 1 cup (about 1/2 cup water).  Mix the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.  Add the juice/water mixture and heat to boiling.  Stirring constantly, boil for 3 minutes.  Add the remaining 1 cup blueberries and continue to cook and stir until mixture thickens.  Serve warm.

27 comments:

Tina said...

I sure would like to taste this! The ingredient list does have me intrigued-fabulous blend of flavors. I am so missing the wonderful bounty that Florida does have to offer and you sound like you are in a great location for berries.
Good luck on the challenge-this looks like a winner to me!

Marina said...

It is a very good recipe! Do you think sweetness from all the ingredients would be enough? I am cutting on sugar intake...

Aarthi said...

Nice recipe..bookmarked

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Claudia said...

A fruit casserole! I am so wanting this. It's the grandest way to get people out of bed in the morning. (That and bacon.)

Sara @ Saucy Dipper said...

My husband and I were just talking about creative dishes for brunch. We both agreed that you need fruit in there somewhere and this would definitely do the trick.

Yuuummmeeee.

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

This is such an elegant breakfast dish, Kristen. I love the colors and the syrup looks amazing!

Juliana said...

Kristen, I never had fruit casserole...and from the looks and description of this, I already know that I'll like it. Beautifully done and great combination of flavors.
Hope you are having a fantastic week :-)

The Harried Cook said...

A fruit casserole! Never heard of it before, and this look so good! I would love this for breakfast :) Thanks for sharing, Kristen!

Little Mommy said...

Yumm! Looks great! My little one adores blueberries too..

Anne@FromMySweetHeart said...

Oh Kristen! I just love this! I love blueberries and I'm so envious that you are so close to several blueberry farms! I love sweet and savory bread puddings and casseroles and this is perfect for breakfast and brunch (and a midnight snack!)

yummychunklet said...

Love the look of those bright blueberries!

Sue said...

This is definitely a winning recipe! Pretty too:)

Ann said...

Well it looks fantastic! You've got my vote and the blueberries are stunning! Thanks for sharing and good luck!

Drina C @ Eaternal Zest said...

oh my! your recipe has me intrigued and the picture is deee-licious.
do hope you bag something

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Reading your description literally made me drool. I love citrus and blueberry together. A beautiful dish. Good luck with the contest!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

As a Mainer, I used to think the same exact thing about the berries. There's some amazingly good honey here too!

The Mom Chef said...

I've had Maine blueberries and they were delicious, though a LOT smaller than the ones down by me. Their wine was pretty fantastic too. :)

I think this looks delicious. If it's kid-approved, you know it has to be good.

I hope this recipe wins the challenge!

Carolina HeartStrings said...

This looks incredible!

Katherine Martinelli said...

Mmmm I love the combination of flavors here - so bright and fresh!

Cucina49 said...

That looks awesome--makes me yearn for blueberry season here, which won't be for another six months!

Becky Jane said...

Your recipe sounds so delicious! Good luck on your submission! I knew blueberries grow in southern Texas...so I guess it makes sense that they would grow in Florida!

Happy When Not Hungry said...

This looks amazing! Yum!

wok with ray said...

This casserole is over flowing with yum! Like the abundance of blueberries on top -- amazing!

Kim Bee said...

*sigh* I need to move. Near you. And accidentally pop by. A lot. Particularly when you are baking. Seriously. What's for sale nearby?

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I've never had casserole for BREAKFAST! Whoever get this from morning has to be the most lucky person. Even on weekend, this won't come out on the table in my house (poor my family). I love berries and I can drool over this forever, really!

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen said...

Dessert for breakfast? I love it! Blueberries in Ireland are astronomically expensive and come in little flat punnets containing about 10 berries (slight exaggeration!) It is lovely to see them lavished on this gorgeous breakfast!

Cooking with Barry & Meta said...

Yum. Thanks for entering.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.