Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cherry Muffins

My little girl had a play date this afternoon.  When I was chatting with the friend's mom, she offered to bring snacks over for the girls.  The first thing that popped into my mind was, "Oh shoot!  Snacks."  Why?  It wasn't that I didn't want to feed the kids, it's just that we have developed a weird schedule of eating dinner around 4:30pm.  At that moment, I realized that I was going to have to serve dinner later and that all of my kids would be filling up on snacks beforehand.
My five kids are on 3 different schedules.  The oldest two come home around 2, then youngest two around 3 and the middle one around 4.  The minute that the Engineer walks into the house, I try to have dinner almost ready.  We eat early and then later, around 7pm, the kids can start looking for snacks.  This way, I guarantee that they eat good food first.  It also doesn't hurt that I still have daylight for any photos that I need to take of dinner.
When I started thinking of all of the snacks I could make, muffins ended up on top of the list.  I know that my daughter would actually enjoy eating a pile of nuts, raisins and cheese, but with no clue as to the little friend's preferences, I thought I'd best stick with a baked good.  Muffins seemed like a little meal anyway, so after a few hours of play, if Princess Pat doesn't want dinner, I will have to be okay with that.

Chocolate Chip Cherry Muffins:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
2/3-3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried cherries
In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients, including the sugar.  Add the egg and oil and enough buttermilk to make a smooth, thick batter.  Fold in the chips and cherries.  Bake in a greased muffin tin 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until mostly golden brown.  (The buttermilk keeps the muffins on the pale side)

31 comments:

Martha said...

Mmm! Those smell wonderful! Can you pass me the milk?

Free Spirit Eater said...

These almost look like chocolate chip cookies! They're beautiful and look like they would be incredibly delicious and fluffy to bite into. I would love to try these some time. Thanks for sharing! =]

Little Mommy said...

These look so yummy!

Ann said...

They look terrific and I COMPLETELY understand about having dinner early...especially when you're photographing! However, these sure do look tasty as a pre-dinner snack!

Kirsten@My German Kitchen...in the Rockies said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Wow, I know that my teens would love to have one of those treats for breakfast. They look yummylicous.

Tiffanee said...

Oh these sound so delicious! I love the addition of the dried cherries! What a great flavor combination!!

Bam's Kitchen said...

I love the combination of chocolate and cherries together it reminds me of that Ben and Jerry ice cream flavor I like. Yum!

Prathima Rao said...

Choco chip & cheries?? I simply adore both & to have them in one delightful cake s a real treat!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Kavi said...

Wow, I simply love the look of these muffins! They look so soft! Can you give me any substitute for the egg as we don't eat/use eggs... Thanks! :)
-
Kavi (Edible Entertainment)

Joanne said...

I hate having a disruption in my schedule, so I can understand your mild panic :P These muffins look delicious, though! A worthy dinner, if need be.

Tina said...

We were on the same wavelength-making some cherry chocolate goodies at the same time. Your muffins look so fluffy and delicious, I could eat them anytime! After reading about the schedules of the eaters at your house-your choice was perfect. You are a busy bee with a full house-bravo to you for handling it so well!

Lizzy Do said...

Oh, how I love dried cherries in baked goods....fabulous muffins, Kristen!!

drick perry said...

these are perfect before and after supper, next morning too... like the cherries in them...
very nice comments you wrote on Claudia's post, thank you and so glad to call you my friend

Katerina said...

Oh, Kristen I eat my lunch at 4:30 pm and then I eat my dinner at 9 too 9:30 pm. In Greece we eat our dinner very late at night between 9:30 and 11:00 pm funny ha? Anyway I wouldn't mind in between my lunch and dinner to have couple of these cute little muffins to feel my empty stomach lol!

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that serves dinner early (here is around 5 o'clock) and later if you're still hungry you can grab a snack, mostly a fruit or a homemade sweet treat.
You muffins on the other hand would be a great breakfast, mmm

Juliana said...

Chocolate and cherry in a muffin? They sure sound and look delicious.
Hope you are having a wonderful week Kristen :-)

Dara said...

I love the combo of chocolate chips and cherries - awesome muffins!

Beth said...

What a good idea to eat early so you can take better photos! I like the way you think.

Marina said...

Nice muffins, and interesting recipe. You have a great blog,

claire @ the realistic nutritionist said...

Chocolate cherry is probably one of my favorite flavor combinations. I definitely have to try these, I'm on a big muffin kick right now!

Mother Rimmy said...

I love buttermilk in muffins. It makes them so moist. I'm a big muffin fan. Can't wait to make these.

Darlene said...

Did I miss seeing how many muffins this recipe makes? Seems like it would be about 6, but if so, I need to double it. Will you let me know?

Thanks for the info and a great looking muffin recipe.

Sue said...

That's a good idea to have dinner FIRST, before they want to snack their appetites away! I will have to make these for my cherry lovin' daughter:)

Becky Jane said...

I ♥ buttermilk in baked goods! Cherries and chocolate chips sound like the perfect combination! Maybe I need to come over for a play day to!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

4:30pm dinner! Well ours is around 6pm but I still get hungry at night while sitting in front of computer... Do you eat another dinner or just snack around 7? When we have kids, we have weird schedule. Each kids have different schedule that makes our life so weird from the rest of people. My kids don't sleep till 8 or 8:30, but my son's classmate (Kinder) goes to sleep at 7pm. I bet their dinner time is around the same time as yours! I'm keeping this delicious choco cherry muffins for playdate too!

Kim Bee said...

I grew up eating at 4:30 every day. I now rebel and eat late. So weird, but ours wasn't a happy dinner table so I'm sure that plays into my weirdness about meal times. Strange but true. These are some wonderful muffins. I love having stuff like this on hand when kids pop by. I have to admit I love hot muffins. I barely get them out of the stove before I'm hopping around the kitchen eating them while complaining how hot they are. Lol!

Beth Michelle said...

I wouldnt mind a pile of these waiting for me when I cam home!! They look wonderful!

Magic of Spice said...

Wow, how do you handle all of those schedules...I would crack ;) these muffins are a great choice for a snack though!

Eileen said...

I'm sure those cute little muffins were delicious and they didn't last long around your house.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

These muffins look wonderful! They would be a great snack any time of the day!

Peggy said...

Oh these just had to be a hit with the kiddos! And the adults too =)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.