Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup: Crazy Cooking Challenge

This is my first month participating in the Crazy Cooking Challenge hosted by Tina of Mom's Crazy Cooking.  Each month, she chooses a dish and those who participate must find a recipe for it from another blog, make it and post about it.  This month was Chicken Noodle Soup.  This past month was also a month that I just could not shake a virus.  So I started looking for a chicken soup from a Jewish grandmother.  Why?  Because it's supposed to be a magical cure and I needed to get well!!!  Why not kill two birds with one stone?
I found a blog called Jewish Penicillin - My Grandmother's Chicken Soup.  It contains one post; the recipe for chicken soup posted in 2007.  I don't know if the author originally planned to do more or if her only objective was to publish that recipe and call it good.  Either way, it was a delicious soup.  It was also a little more involved than I usually get for chicken soup, so I am not too sure that I will ever follow the instructions again.  The ingredients, however, were great, the taste was great, and I soon felt great.  So I will definitely make it another time.  In fact, I am thinking of making up some just to freeze until the next virus gets me in its dastardly clutches.
Chicken Noodle Soup (taken from Jewish Penicillin)
1 whole chicken or 3 hindquarters
1 Tbsp salt
2 whole onions
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 ribs of celery, sliced
1 large parsnip, peeled and sliced
1 bunch fresh dill
1 Tbsp powdered chicken bouillon
parsley for garnish
8 ounces spaghetti
Place the rinsed chicken into the bottom of a large Dutch oven.  Cover with water and bring to a boil.  Skim off any scum that forms at the top of the water.  Turn down the heat, salt the water and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.  Remove the chicken and put it into a bowl in the fridge.  Add the vegetables and bouillon to the water and simmer another 1 1/2 hours.  Throw out the onion and dill.  Place in the fridg e over night.  The next day (yes, this is about where I started to roll my eyes thinking I was putting way too much work into this soup), remove the fat that has hardened at the top of the soup.  Put the soup back on the stove to heat.  Chop up the chicken and add it to the soup.  When it starts to boil or simmer, break up some spaghetti and add it in.  Cook 15 minutes or until the noodles are soft.  Sprinkle with parsley when you serve it.

***Next time, I will cook the chicken for only one hour, add the veggies, but chop the onion because throwing out two whole onions about killed me.  After another hour or two, I will remove the chicken,  chop it up and add it back in along with the noodles and serve it that night.  It also needed a lot more salt; 2 Tbsp at least!

Photobucket

31 comments:

Lesa @Edesia's Notebook said...

Looks great. Glad it made you feel better. What great timing!

Aarthi said...

Totally Yummy

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Owen's Mom said...

Sounds like this challenge came at just the right time. Hope you feel better soon.

...love that it used a parsnip and fresh dill. Yummy!

http://adventuresinallthingsfood.blogspot.com/2012/01/from-scratch-chicken-noodle-soup-crazy.html

Angie's Recipes said...

That looks like a great soothing soup.
Drink more soup and hope you feel better soon!

Lisa~~ said...

Hope that your soup has you feeling 100%.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry: Thai Chicken Noodle Soup

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

ButterYum said...

I grew up in NY and heard of chicken noodle soup being called Jewish Pencillin many, many times. Had to chuckle when I found out you stumbled upon a blog with that name. Happy CCC - hope you'll visit my post for Southwestern Chicken Noodle Soup (#48).

:)
ButterYum

inthekitchenwithkp said...

Looks yummy! I def have to start taking part of these challenges! They look like fun!

Jennifer said...

Welcome to the challenge! Your soup looks great.

Judy said...

Chicken soup is the ultimate comfort food. Looks yummy.

Magic of Spice said...

This does look like a wonderful soup!

Chaya said...

I think, it is quite funny, you found a blog with one recipe, the one you wanted. It certainly looks delicious.

Tabby said...

Looks good :)
#49

Little Mommy said...

Looks yummy!

Kim Bee said...

Looks fantastic. I bowed out this month, too busy. Now I am second guessing that decision. Lol!

Teri@thefreshmancook said...

The recipe does sound time consuming, but it sure sounds and looks delicious! Great choice!

wok with ray said...

What a delicious looking soup, Kristen! Perfect for this colder weather. Have a great weekend!

~ ray ~

Chels said...

Welcome to the cooking challenge! So glad your participating! I can see what you mean about it being involved, looking at the ingredients gives a good idea. But still, looks delicious. I hope your feeling better now :)

Mother Rimmy said...

This recipe does sound a bit involved. Especially if you aren't feeling well, but I'll be the chicken was tender and delicious after all that slow cooking! Hope you are feeling better. :)

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

What a GREAT round up of chicken soup! Wonderful idea for a linki challenge!

drick perry said...

now that is what I say is a good soup, and worth the effort of all the melding of flavors... of course, the thing about making a soup when you are sick, well, who feels up to it... keep a bowl in the freezer!

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Amazing story about the one post! Crazy and looks delish!

I made Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup! #1 in the linky party, come by and visit if you get the chance!

Thanks again for participating in my challenge!

Tiffany said...

This is sure to knock out even the worst cold!

championm2000 said...

h, it's cold and rainy here...I would love to be having soup now :-)

visiting from vb!

Claudia said...

Yes, this is penicllin for colds and I cannot get enough of it. (And yes, I would return most vegetables and all chicken to same pot).

Melissa said...

Looks like a great "get-better" soup!

Cucina49 said...

That looks absolutely delicious. Hope you're feeling better!

mywanderingspoon said...

Delicious Chicken noodle, Queen of the soups:)

Beth Michelle said...

Chicken soup is most definitely Jewish penicillin!!

Marie said...

Thanks for posting this recipe--it looks really good and I linked to it over on my blog. I need to learn more about cooking with parsnips, apparently... :)

SharleneT said...

I'm finally getting around to your entry in the Cooking Challenge and it looks absolutely delicious. You're right, there's nothing like chicken soup cure what ails you. I hope you'll check out my entry, number 52, when you get a chance.

Chris said...

Hi Kristen, this looks like a really good recipe for chicken noodle soup. I'm going to have to try this one soon, it's just perfect for our wintry weather. Thanks for sharing.
I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.