Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

Taco Bean Soup (cheap!)

This time of year, there is nothing like a bowl of soup to warm you up.  That is, unless you live in Florida.  This has been the weirdest Autumn ever for me.  Night temperatures have dropped occasionally to the low 40s.  Occasionally means seldom.  It was enough for leaves to turn color and drop off trees.  However, daytime temperatures have not ventured much lower than 60.  In fact, they have yo-yo'd from the low 80s to the high 60s every five or six days.
 The warm weather has not stopped me from making soups.  Dag-nab-it, they are a delicious and cheap way to feed a family.  I do try to look at the weather forecast and plan the soups around "cool" days...you know, the ones in the 70s.  We open the sliding door and let a breeze blow through the house.  It almost makes it seem like winter is coming.  Or not.

This was an extremely frugal soup.  It has no meat, but has plenty to fill you up.  Pair it with bread of some sort and you shouldn't have any complaints.

Taco Bean Soup
1 15 ounce can beans, rinsed (can use pinto, navy or kidney)
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large sweet potato the size of a football (or equivalent amount of smaller), peeled and cubed
2 cups frozen corn
6 cups broth (I used chicken)
1 envelope taco seasoning (or 1 Tbsp if you buy it in bulk)
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Saute the onion in heated olive oil in a Dutch oven.  When the onion is soft, add all the ingredients except the taco seasoning.  Heat to boiling, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.  Stir in taco seasoning, cover and continue to cook 5 more minutes.  If desired, garnish with cheese or sour cream.

Note: use a mild taco mix if you have anyone who doesn't like spicy foods.

17 comments:

Michael Ann said...

We love soup in our house too! This one looks yummy AND easy.

Found you through the Foodie Friday blog hop. Thanks for sharing!

Michael Ann
The Big Green Bowl

Angie's Recipes said...

What a creative idea of using taco seasoning in bean soups!
The soup looks really tasty.

Belinda @zomppa said...

This soup is what I WISH I had for lunch.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

I know - this weather is driving me bonkers! I just wish it would pick one temperature and roll with it! Jeez...

Claudia said...

Just looking at this has warmed to the bones. Have been out and about in ten degrees F today! I like cheap - especially this time of year when there's lots of price tags going around and you know I love, love, LOVE soup. Perfect!

Ann said...

The soup looks delicious - and I gotta say....that's pretty much every fall here in N.Fla.

I go by the calendar, not the weather!

Tina said...

This recipe does have a lot of bonuses:
I love southwestern flavors
it is not a heavy meal
it is easy to put together
it will not break the bank

I can't really ask for anything more, thanks for posting this!

Magic of Spice said...

What a fun and easy soup! I love the flavors and would certainly warm up cold days. It has been pretty cold here in CA, especially in the mornings, so soup is on my menu :)

Katerina said...

We have large temperature variations throughout the day here in Greece too. This is so weird. The soup is absolutely perfect! loaded with vitamins!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

It's very comforting when there are potatoes and beans involved in a soup. I've never used a taco mix. That's a great idea!

Sandi G said...

Delicious and easy, LOVEEE it!

wok with ray said...

That is a delicious looking soup, Kristen! Who needs meat if you have all of of those goodies in there. I have never used taco mix in a soup but I am sure I can find one in my pantry somewhere. Thank you for sharing this dish, Kristen and have a nice week!

~ ray ~

Emmy said...

I have a big pot of this hanging out in the fridge, and I have to say...it NEEDS something. And what that "something" is eludes me. Does anyone else feel the same?

Drick said...

this sounds like a wonderful soup, ya know I love soups with beans in it and Tex-mex flavors as well, like the fact of using two types of potatoes... one thing though, the sweet potato the size of a football, that's a big tator..

Anne@frommysweetheart said...

Wow Kristen....what a hearty soup. Quick and easy too! I could have used this over the past week as I've been down and out with a cold! Beans, potatoes and sweet potatoes...doesn't get any more comforting than that! : )

Joanne said...

What a healthy delicious soup! I love that it has both beans AND sweet potatoes in it!

MrsFoxsSweets said...

This looks great! We have had a wierd fall here too. I definitely want to try making this soup!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.