Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sausage Potato Soup: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

I had to take some soup to a dinner and I had to make a new recipe for this feature, all on a Saturday night.  Sometimes putting things off to the last minute just doesn't work.  I was not happy with the soup.  However, it is very frugal and tasted a lot better the second day (after I added a ton of salt).  

I found this recipe on Cafe Johnsonia.  It's a blog that has been around for many years (at least back to 2006), but it was still a new-to-me discovery. Her soup has a rather unexpected ingredient: vanilla extract.  It adds a completely new dimension to this savory soup.  The original recipe called for 1/2 a stick of butter, but I  thought the sausage and cup of half and half added enough fat....though that butter would have been really tasty.
I think using a spicy sausage like chorizo would have made the soup stellar.  As it was, I used a nondescript pork sausage that didn't do anything for me.  I will make this again, though, because it was very filling and fed the family with leftovers. 

Sausage Potato Soup: (adapted from this recipe)
1 pound sausage (I suggest chorizo or Italian or another flavorful choice)
1 onion, chopped
6 cups chicken stock
7 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup half and half
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2-3 tsp kosher salt (to taste)
ground pepper to taste
Brown the sausage in the bottom of a Dutch oven.  When cooked, remove the meat from the pot, drain most of the fat and cook the onion until it starts to turn brown around the edges.  Add the chicken stock, sausage and potatoes back to the pot.  Cover and boil until the potatoes are tender.  Turn off the heat and add the last ingredients. Stir through and serve. 

Okay, folks, what was cooking in your kitchen this week?



23 comments:

Ryan said...

The idea of adding vanilla sounds so interesting! I'm always looking for good soup recipes and this sounds like a keeper- nice and hearty! Sounds delish!

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...

Looks delicious! Two of my favorite things: Sausage and Potatoes! I will have to try this, thanks for sharing.
Best,
Gloria
P.S. and isn't it funny... sometimes things just need more SALT! lol!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Looks hearty and sounds interesting. I've learned over the years not to pooh-pooh those weird ingredients...you gotta trust!
We are very much into meat and potatoes, so this soup is very appealing, especially on these dark, cold evenings!

Little Mommy said...

Thanks for hosting! Have a great week!

Anita Stafford said...

Kristen, I have shared 14-Karat Cake. Thank you for hosting!

Blackswan said...

Love the idea of adding sausages into the soup! I'm sure it'll add more punch to the rich soup :)

Kristy, would love to have you join me @ Promote Your Blog @ Shirley's Luxury Haven! DIY This X’mas With 12 Lovely Recipes! Happy Holidays!

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Yes please and I'd like seconds! wonderful ingredients and fantastic winter soup
Mary x

Ann said...

I dunno - it sounds pretty good! I might have added a sprinkling of cheddar cheese. I've never thought about adding vanilla to soup....very interesting.

cookingvarieties said...

hi kristen, i also like spicy soup with potatoes added as one of the ingredients..enhance flavor.

FiSh said...

this is my first time seeing the combination of sausage and potato in a soup! a nice try!

-FiSh

ohFISHiee.blogspot.com

Shanan, The Book Addict said...

This soup does sound interesting. I will have to try it but I can imagine that chorizo would be really yummy.

Shanan
http://yogi-mommy.blogspot.com

Drick said...

yep, that vanilla is throwing me off a bit too... but I do love sausage in just about anything, this soup would be great during the next cool spell

Sandi said...

It looks delicious the way it is :)

Have to agree w/Ann, a little cheddar may do the trick.

Miz Helen said...

Your soup looks so delicious on this cold and rainy day. I brought the dessert, my Grandmothers Buttermilk Pie. Thanks for hosting and have a great day!
Miz Helen

Emily Malloy said...

Yuuuuummmmmmmm

carolinaheartstrings said...

Your soup looks fantastic.
We linked up a wonderful pretzel Heath bark today. Be sure to visit us and register to win on our Shabby Apple post a wonderful party dress. Contest closes on Wednesday.

briarrose said...

So tasty.....my husband has an addiction to this style soup.

Katerina said...

There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of soup during winter! I would love to eat it tonight that is cold and humid outside!

Joanne said...

I've added vanilla to savory dishes before, but there usually needs to also be some element of sweet. I'm really intrigued by this!

Anne@frommysweetheart said...

I love potato soup but cannot imagine what happens when you add vanilla! I'm intrigued though! Thanks for your recommendations for changing it up a bit! : )

Kim Bee said...

Now this is an interesting recipe. I have vague memories of something like this from my childhood. Looks so good. I love anything potato, must be the Irish in me.

vianney said...

wow vanilla? great suggestion to add chorizo.

Karen said...

Vanilla extract? Hmm, I'm going to try that. I have soup on the stove right now!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.