Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

My New Favorite Dinner Roll Recipe

 I have a lot of roll recipes that I have used over the years.  When I am in a hurry and want a lighter, easy roll, I make Spoon Rolls which are made in a muffin tin and look like yeast muffins.  They are really good.  Sometimes, though, I want the flavor of a potato bread, so I make these rolls.  However, this year I wanted something even better.  I think I found it in this recipe.
 I also started playing around with the color on my photos.  The one below is pretty true to real life.  The others were just fun.  The rolls themselves were thick and chewy and just what I wanted.
 This recipe called for brown sugar as the sweetener.  It gave the rolls a browner color than usual.  I am thinking that the next time I make them, I will put in some whole wheat flour.  No one will notice a little more brown. 
 Really, Really Great Dinner Rolls: (adapted from the Busy Family Cookbook)
2 Tbsp yeast
1/2 cup warm water plus another 1 1/2 cups water
1 stick butter
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp salt
6-7 cups flour
In a mixing bowl, add the yeast to the 1/2 cup warm water.  In a microwavable container, combine the butter and remaining water.  Heat until butter melts.  Add sugar, salt and eggs to the butter/water mixture, stirring to combine.  Add to yeast mixture.  Mix or stir in 5 cups of flour.  Continue adding flour until a nice soft, non-sticky dough forms.  Cover and let rise one hour.  Punch down and form rolls.   Place them in a greased pans, cover and let rise 40 minutes.  Bake in preheated 375 degree oven 12-20 minutes, depending on how many you put in a pan.  If they have a lot of room around them and aren't crowded it will take less time.

19 comments:

Cathy Wiechert said...

These have to be good--plenty of butter in them! :) There's nothing better than a warm, homemade roll. I'm having fun playing with different versions of my pictures, too. LOL (yours all look great)

drick perry said...

oh how I wish you were my neighbor, to smell the aroma of fresh baked bread would be heavenly and maybe with a plea, a taste of these beautiful rolls - oh how I wish I could bake yeast rolls... looking at this and reading, I am gonna give it one more try...

Lyndsey said...

So funny I have dinner rolls in the oven right now. Only the second time I've made them...I have organic raw sugar in them, but no eggs. I will try these next. they are gorgeous!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

I have had fresh rolls in forever! But man the idea of fresh bread straight out of the oven sounds SO good! Happy New Year's Kristen!

Terra said...

Oh bread, it makes me happy! Love the idea of using brown sugar instead of white sugar:-) Beautiful! Hugs, Terra

The Better Baker said...

Oh my! These all look phenomenal. One of my very favorite fragrances is bread baking. You sucked me in with all of these. Thanks -

Baker Street said...

Oh wow! These look just perfect! Love how simple the recipe is!

Ann said...

These look delicious, Kristen...very interesting that there's brown sugar in it! When you have a "go to" dinner roll recipe, it is SO satisfying! But be warned: you may have to make them EVERY WHERE you go!

Anne@frommysweetheart said...

Kristen...I've yet to try and make rolls....but this sounds pretty easy. My boys love potato bread but I love the idea of a bit of brown sugar in the mix. What a beautiful dinner roll, and one that I am looking forward to trying! : )

Prathima Rao said...

What beautiful dinner rolls Kristen!! Must try this out ;)

Happy new year to you & your family ;)

Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

I am always looking for good roll recipes! Can't wait to try this one!

Katherine Martinelli said...

I love dinner rolls and these look absolutely perfect! I can't wait to try this recipe :-D

Glenda said...

Anxious to try these and I think I would use some whole wheat flour, as well. They look delicious!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I never made rolls with brown sugar but would love to try these. They look great! Happy new year!

Lizzy Do said...

Oh, these rolls look fantastic!!!

Magic of Spice said...

Dinner...I'll have them for breakfast! They look amazing :)

Karen | Divine Dinner Party said...

There's nothing like fresh, homemade dinner rolls... On a second throught, I think they never should have called these dinner rolls in the first place since I can definitely (and I'm sure I'm not alone here) eat this, anytime of the day! Btw, I love how you played around with the photos. All of them are nice :)

Elsa said...

I'm always looking for new dinner roll recipes to try. I saved it to make some time. They look delicious.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Wow beautiful bread! One day I wish to make bread like this... I keep dreaming...

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.