Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Holiday Potatoes: Your Recipe, My Kitchen


All too often lately, I am leaving things to the last minute.  I never used to be that way.  In college, when professors assigned papers or projects, I would start and finish them as soon as possible so as to be able to relax and have more free time.  That same habit has saved me countless hours of stress over the years.  Work first, play second.  However, as my kids have grown older and other activities have been added to my life, I have found myself putting projects off to steal a little "me time."

The same thing goes for blogging.  I used to try to have at least a week's worth of posts done and ready to go.  Nowadays, I am scrambling to get things written and posted!  Maybe it's the holidays and an end of the year slump.  Either way, this post almost didn't happen!

Luckily, for me and I suppose for you, I was going to another potluck.  I signed up to bring a potato dish.  I usually make a stand by cheesy potato casserole, but I wanted to find something a little more interesting.  What I found is definitely going to be my new go-to potato recipe.  These were fantastic and SO easy.  And they include bacon!  However, I don't want to talk about the quality of the photo, or lack thereof.  It was 5:40pm, I was supposed to leave at 5:30, and I was shouting instructions to everyone.  I was lucky to get what I got.  The photo on Pinterest that caused me to find and make this recipe from Plain Chicken is so much better.

Holiday "Crack" Potatoes (adapted using the comments from Plain Chicken)
28-32 ounce bag frozen hash browns (shredded or cubed)
2 16 ounce containers low fat sour cream (not nonfat)
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup pre-cooked crumbled bacon
1 Tbsp or package Buttermilk Ranch dip/dressing mix (I used Uncle Dan's, she recommends Hidden Valley~both work)
In a large bowl, stir the last 4 ingredients until well combined.  Add the still frozen potatoes and stir to coat.  Spread into a greased 9X13 pan and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour. (Maybe a little less for shredded than cubed).  I sprinkled mine with parsley (okay it was chervil, because my parsley is AWOL) before baking for a little more pretty factor.

Your turn!  What is cooking in your kitchens?  Are you still making sweet treats or have you finished your holiday baking?





27 comments:

Ann said...

Kristen - this is a terrific recipe! I have had something similar and it's as addicting as crack - aptly named! When you're ready to steal some more "ME" time - let me know and we'll meet up!

Blackswan said...

What a great potluck dish, I'm a potato person & coincidentally, I've just posted my Pekerdel, Potato Corn Beef Patty Recipe & link it here :)

Kristy! Like u, I'm struggling to find posts these days. I really admire people who can post up to 7 articles or more a week. Wonder how they're able to manage.

sangeeta said...

Lovely blog.
My husband would love such a cheesy potato bake. I think i should treat him to this sometime during this winter. Yummy recipe indeed.

Prathima Rao said...

Cheesy & droolworthy bake!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Tina said...

This is well worth a spot on my dinner table-love the ingredients. The keys to a wonderful dish, no doubt. Glad you posted this.
Organization in blogging can run away sometimes, but I am sure that you will get back into your regular mode after the holidays. Enjoy the season!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kristen,
Wishing you and your family Happy Holidays and thanks for hosting!
Miz Helen

Anita Stafford said...

Kristen, Your potato casserole sounds so yum, I am always looking for new side dish recipes! I have shared Cranberry Orange Sourdough Muffins and Holiday Bars. Thank you for hosting!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

Very similar to potatoes my husband loves on the holidays. Might have to switch it up this year!

Loveforfood said...

i might try your recipe for tomorrow lunch.

A.K. said...

oh my! I would like to dig into this dish NOW!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Oooooooh, looks good! I seriously dig this recipe. Oh yeah...I want me some crack potatoes!

Karen said...

Yes, these are crack :) A country club where I used to live always made these for their buffet. Crazy good!

drick perry said...

now you know I'm a meat & potato guy, not necessary in that order... made many a casseroles similar and this one sounds great... always good to have those "go to" stand by recipes you can always depend on..
I do hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas and are enjoying your new style of holiday climate... bet you never thought you'd might be in shorts on Christmas day, been there several times......best to you Kristen...

Sandra said...

This looks so amazing..very flavorful and delicious!!! Got to try it soon!

Pat's Pink Apron said...

Looks good! Pat

Sue said...

There's nothing I don't like about this potato dish~YUM!

Joanne said...

I can definitely see why these are like crack...not that I know what crack feels like. But with all of this guilty pleasure deliciousness...this must be it.

Christiane Potts said...

Bacon? Cheese? Potatoes? Score! This looks fantastic. I am definitely still in baking mode, yes. Dudette just headed to school with a batch of fudge for her teachers so that emptied one container that needs to be filled again. That's how it rolls, right?

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Kristen, for a potato lover, this dish is so tempting!!! LOVE this. I can eat this once a week! Looking delicious and I need to make it myself....

Jessica said...

Love the shampoo recipe!

Sandi G said...

Im glad this post happened, it looks delicious!
I know what you mean about being busy, there just doesn't seem to be enough time left, these days!

Rhonda said...

Perfect dish for a potluck or my house ;)

Cucina49 said...

Those do look addictive! And I hear you--I am about a week behind on my various tasks right now. My to-do list groweth!

Screaming Sardine said...

Oh wowzers! Those potatoes look waaay too good. Love the addition of the Ranch.

Pinning on pinterest. :)

Cheers,
Tracy Screaming Sardine

Julie said...

Love these potatoes. I've never made them with the ranch, next time. I seem to have been a last minute person lately, too.

Indian Fashion said...

Delicious look and sweet posting.

Monet said...

I've been so busy lately too. I think I'm going to take a break for a week or two...we need that down time! Thank you for sharing these tempting potatoes with me...and making me smile on a rainy and cold night in Austin. I hope you are having a wonderful week. I know I'm busy...but I'm enjoying all the bustle!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.