Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Holiday Green Salad

I found this salad recipe years ago in a Taste of Home magazine.  It was called Merry Berry Salad and is perfectly colored for a Christmas dinner.  However, I was thinking that if you threw a bag of fresh cranberries in the freezer right now, this would make a lovely addition to a Valentine's dinner, too.  After all, it is red.  And it is kind of fancy...sort of...for a tossed salad.  Let me just tell you the dressing is TO DIE FOR.  Because the recipe always makes way more dressing than salad, and because I never remember to write that on the recipe, I am thinking of trying it as a marinade for some chicken.

Holiday Green Salad:  (adapted from Taste of Home)
for the salad:
1 head red leaf lettuce
1 head green leaf lettuce
1 red apple, chopped
1 green apple, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup grated Parmesan, Romano or Asiago cheese
1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
for the dressing:
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup frozen juice concentrate (any kind as long as it's 100% juice)
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 cup vegetable oil
Place all of the dressing ingredients except the oil in a blender and pulse until smooth.  Turn on the blender and open the hole in the lid.  Slowly pour the oil into the blender in a thin stream until all of it is incorporated.  Toss the salad ingredients in a large bowl.  Serve with the dressing on the side.


Rosemary said...

Sold! Sounds perfect! Even if I wasn't trying to lighten up a little after the past several days (weeks!) I'd love this. Colorful, fresh, mine.

Tina said...

You are right, the dressing does have the makings of a tasty winner. I definitely will have to try this after the holidays. I rarely make dressings, but this is just one I have to try. Thanks for sharing-yum!

Christine's Pantry said...

This sounds and looks wonderful. Yum!

Cucina49 said...

That is a great-looking salad...and I'm back to major salad eating after the indulgences of the past few days!

Words Of Deliciousness said...

The salad and dressing looks wonderful. The salad dressing sounds like it is full of flavor. Yummy!

Lizzy Do said...

Oh, this salad sounds fabulous!!! I love every bit of it :)

ping said...

You are so right! The dressing sounds delicious! Now why didn't this happen 3 days ago? Oh well, next Christmas, it is :D

Anne@frommysweetheart said...

Kristen...what a gorgeous salad. And you know, it's not the whole new year's resolution thing..but right around this time, I think I'm just saturated with eating richer food. And I CRAVE salads! Love the idea of the cranberries..tart and chewy! And a good tip for the extra dressing! This is just beautiful! : )

Ann said...

Wow - it is a stunning salad! I think using the dressing a marinade is a brilliant idea - I hope you blog about it! I just so happen to have some cranberries int he freezer right now!

Joanne said...

Thankfully I ALWAYS have cranberries in the freezer (yes, I am a cranberry hoarder). THis dressing sounds amazing!

Claudia said...

This is just what the doctor ordered after my days of indulgence. It's coming to my table. (And yes, I too - always have cranberries in the freezer.)

Tiffany said...

What a great idea to use cranberries in the dressing!

Stephanie said...

What a delicious salad! I love the cranberry dressing!

Eileen said...

Kristen this salad sounds delicious. I love how festive it looks. Happy New Year!

Peggy said...

What a beautiful salad - definitely a change up from all of the fatty and high calorie holiday foods =)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.