Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Gooey Cake: Controversy at It's Worst

This very well may be the post that loses me half my followers.

I am about to open a can of worms that, once opened, may never be closed again.

I mean, this is REAL controversy, folks!



I am going to tell you that this in fact, is not Gooey Butter Cake, even though Paula Deen said it was.


How can I dare to blaspheme like this?  Well, you see, Gooey Butter Cake is native only to St. Louis, MO.  If you happen to ever visit, you must make a point to find a bakery and buy some.  It won't look like this.  It won't taste like this either.  It's more of a yeast based cake with a purely butter gooey-ness on top.
I will concede that what I made is indeed gooey.  And it is a cake, of sorts.  But it is more the cheater version than the real McCoy.


This is cake mix based with a cream cheese concoction on top.  And even though, I am saying that this isn't the real thing, the recipe that I used did come from a St. Louis cookbook.  In fact, the cookbook had about six different variations of this cake.  And it is really, really tasty.

So, I am calling this Gooey Cake.  I am leaving out the "Butter" part.  It salves my conscience.  I hope you all will take it as a compromise. 

Gooey Cake: (one of many variations on a theme)
1 yellow cake mix
1 stick butter or margarine, melted
3 eggs, divided
1 8 ounce brick cream cheese
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Stir together the cake mix, melted butter and 1 egg.  Pat into the bottom of a greased 9 X 13 pan.  With a mixer, blend the remaining eggs with the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla.  Pour on top of the cake mixture.  Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.  (you want the topping to still be gooey, not completely set so the time depends on how hot your oven is).  Let cool and then store in the fridge.  Dust with powdered sugar if you want to cover any unsightly cracks (see my straight on photo for such blemishes).

I have seen this recipe with more and less eggs, more powdered sugar and with a homemade base. It's all good.


PS I hope you know that this is all in fun.  After doing a 7 links post earlier this summer and not being able to come up with a good food based controversy, I decided to invent one.

36 comments:

Robyn Rasmussen said...

Thanks for clearing this up for me! I will have to try the real thing sometime soon. :) I have made this with yellow and chocolate cake mixes and prefer the yellow cake mix. But found that 40 minutes left me with a darker brown top? And the more powdered sugar- does that make the top layer fluffier and thicker? Thanks for the input!
-Robyn from http://tipsfromtheheart.blogspot.com
here is the recipe I experiemented with first:
http://tipsfromtheheart.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinterest-kitchen-week-4.html
and second:
http://pinterest.com/pin/54535845457354972/
Great topic!!!

adventuresindinner said...

But it still looks fantastic :-)

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Thanks for clearing that up, and don't worry, I'm still with ya! It looks good, btw....but I am partial to yeasty baked goods, so now you have me wanting to hop a flight to St. Louis to try the real McCoy!

Hopewell said...

I have this recipe, but it's called "Sugar Cream Cake" and I made it for years for a friend's birthday. Still love it!

Lesa @Edesia's Notebook said...

I'm still here! I went to grad school in St. Louis, so I know. I worked at Starbucks in STL and we used to swap drinks for goodies with the shop next door. They made gooey butter cookies, a cookie version of the cake. Even if this isn't the 'real' version, it looks pretty darn tasty and I'm totally pinning it!

Belinda @zomppa said...

That's for the clarification! I shall be delighted to take a piece of that gooey cake.

Jennifurla said...

I'd still eat it! hehe

Nicole @ the Daily Dish said...

This is one of the many reasons I love living here. Gooey butter cake, Toasted Ravioli, Provel cheese on Imo's Pizzas and more. We have awesome food here and you're right - this recipe is definitely not a "real" Gooey Butter Cake, but it does indeed look really good. ;)

ping said...

That's brave ... and funny at the same time , creating a controversy just so you have one for the 7 links. Thanks for this information. Of course I hadn't even known what's what but now I do. Gooey cake it is!

Sue said...

It looks yummy, but I still have the REAL gooey butter cake on my to-bake list!

The Better Baker said...

I love cream cheese any way I can get it. I'm fine with whatever you say...as long as it has cream cheese - I'm IN! =)

Julie said...

I've always been one to avoid controversy...so I'll just stick a bunch of this cake in my face and be happy :) Looks wonderful!

Drick said...

oh please, I am not a believer in every thing coming from the Dean camp... just because you're a southerner, talk the talk and walk the walk, does not make every magnolia pearly white... sure, she's done good and I am proud of her but just like many of our own hometown recipes, many are soup can and box top label recipes that we call on from time to time. Not even seeing it, I am sure her gooey butter cake is one from such wonderment...

Courtney said...

You just gained a follower because of this recipe! LOL. It sounds so delicious!!


Much Love,
Courtney P.
www.peaceloverecipes.com

Monet said...

These are the kind of controversies I like :-) Bring on the cake, whatever it is called! With colder days and nights, I find myself wanting to be in the kitchen more and more. Thank you for giving me another recipe to try. I hope you are enjoying the bustle of the season. Much love from Austin.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

You say potatoe, I say potato... I don't care what you call it (as I'm not from St. Louis), it's still good!

Marie said...

I will echo the Better Baker and say that cream cheese is the key factor for me here.... (and the fact that it looks easy to make doesn't hurt :) Thanks for sharing!

easyfoodsmith said...

As long as it promises to be delicious, I am happy...Whats there in the name!?! ;-)
http://www.easyfoodsmith.blogspot.com/

Miriam said...

It does resemble more of a cheesecake bar of sorts. I bet it tasted good though. :)

Ann said...

LOL! You are too fun! I love it! It's funny - food bloggers just aren't that controversial! We like food....that's it!

This cake looks absolutely decadent AND gooey!

Kristina said...

That does look awfully gooey and yummy!
Thanks for sharing your recipe,
Kristina :)

Katherine Martinelli said...

Well, whatever you want to call this it looks delicious!!

Joanne said...

I'm actually GLAD you posted about this because I would never have known the difference! Now I'm going to have to find me some REAL gooey cake to eat...and make this one also...for taste testing purposes :)

Cathy W said...

Gooey or no, it looks fabulous! Now stop creating controversy....you sound like one of my relatives. LOL

vianney said...

love it...I have tried paula's version and it came out pretty weird. I know I'd prefer the real recipe form the original source, thanks!!

Val said...

Looks fab with or without the butter in the title!

Lizzy said...

Yeah, I've been making these since WAY before Paula Deen was on the scene. And I make mine just like yours :)

Miranda said...

I recently made the Pumpkin gooey butter cake from Paula Deen, and I believe her version of gooey cake is self admittedly the cheat sheet way. But you are right, it darn sure is tasty!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

LOL, well, whatever this cake is, it looks delicious!

Sandi said...

Hhah! I love your brutal truth ;)

Wilde in the Kitchen said...

Personally, I think I like your version of a gooey cake better! :) Don't tell anyone!

BigFatBaker said...

What ever it is it looks good! I haven't had any sort of gooey cake before but I think I've really been missing out. Thanks for sharing!

Magic of Spice said...

You are so funny...nice choice for an invented controversy :) And hey, as long as it tastes good I'm happy :)
Looks delicious!

Tiffanee said...

It looks perfectly delicious! Thanks for the clarification!!

Terra said...

Who cares about the secret behind this recipe, it looks fantastic! I stopped by to say hi, and scrolled down to see your recipes you have made. This recipe immediately caught my eye, it looks so moist and delicious:-) Hugs, Terra

kita said...

You are right, it doesn't look like gooey cakes Ive had in the past - which are ammmazing. This does look tasty though. Don't worry, you didn't loose a fan here!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.