Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Eggnog and Cranberry Thumbprint Cookies: Improv Challenge


It's Improv Challenge time!!!  This month, our challenge ingredients were eggnog and cranberries.  I am not an eggnog fan, but my children love it.  Seeings they are my biggest cookie eaters, too, I figured how could I go wrong making eggnog cookies?!  I had found a recipe for eggnog thumbprints in a library book a few months ago.  There wasn't actually any eggnog in the cookies or filling.  I thought that was a little weird, but apparently the nutmeg in the cookies and the rum flavoring in the filling was enough to convince the author that it tasted like eggnog.  I thought in the case of this challenge it might be considered cheating if I didn't use actual eggnog, so I changed things up a bit.  As usual.
We have gotten SO BIG that we need our own Yahoo Group to communicate.  Please, if you are already a member or if you want to join, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/inprov_challenge/ to update your membership!  We post the third Thursday of each month.  Next month's combination is sour cream and lemons.  Does that make you think sweet or savory?

Eggnog and Cranberry Thumbprints ( inspired by Jennifer Darling's Cookies for Christmas)
cookie:
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/3 cup chopped dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
filling:
4 Tbsp butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
3 Tbsp eggnog
For the cookies: Cream the butter and sugar together.  Scrape down the sides and then add the egg and vanilla, mixing well.  Scrape the sides again.  Add the nutmeg, flour and cranberries and mix until blended.  Scoop small amounts (scant teaspoons) onto baking sheet and make an indentation with your finger.  It will close up a bit when the cookies bake, so make it fairly well defined.  Bake 375 degrees for 8 minutes or until just slightly golden.  Remove to a wire rack to cool.  For the filling: Mix softened butter, nutmeg and powdered sugar.  Slowly add eggnog until you reach a desired consistency.  It may only take 2 Tbsp.  Put the filling into a sandwich sized zip-close plastic bag.  Snip one corner and pipe the filling into the depressions on the cookies.  Store in the fridge in a sealed container (because of the eggnog).

Look and see what everyone else has made this month!  What a great bunch of creative minds we have in this group!!


29 comments:

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

You go, girl! Great improv...your cookies look inviting and delicious. The Mister and I are both eggnog as well as cranberry fans, so these can't go wrong. Have a great day!

Belinda @zomppa said...

That is quite a challenge - and a creative way to meet it!

Sandi said...

Yes, my kids would like this too ;) And these creations are creative, donuts out of cranberries?!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family said...

I love the thumbprint cookies. This challenge was so much fun. I cannot wait to see what next months ingredients are :)

Ann said...

HI Kristen! The cookies look delicious and I bet your cookie monsters loved them! Thanks for hosting this Improv Challenge - I had SO much fun (my very first challenge ever!)

Melody ♪♫ said...

Hostess with the mostest!

Thanks so much for continuing the Improv Challenge. I had a great time this month.

The cookies look delish. I'm sure they would be a gorgeous addition to any dessert table!

Erin said...

So sad I couldn't participate this month. But these look amazing!!!

adventuresindinner said...

Thanks so much for going to all the trouble of hosting this great party. Much fun!

Allison said...

The improv group sounds so fun. What a great way to get creative and inspired in the kitchen. The cookies look delicious.

Carolina HeartStrings said...

Great party. Thanks for hosting. Great minds think alike. We made a veHello fellow ICC blogger. Come check it out and be be sure to register to win the wonderful book we are giving away. Today is the last day. Look for the Southern Fried Women post.
ry similar cookie, you and I.

Lizzy said...

Fabulous thumbprints, Kristen!!! And thanks again for being our fabulous hostess for the Improv!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

They look delicious Kristin! And thank you once again for all of your hard work putting the Improv Challenge together!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

A terrific improv. Love the cookies. I guess I am a kid at heart as i love egg nog (but my wife thinks it tastes like pancake batter, so i have not had any for years).

I would hop on these in a heart beat!

Dave

MrsFoxsSweets said...

Thanks for hosting the Improv :) You cookies look delicious! So many wonderful things shared for this month. I can't wait until next month!

renee @ Singing With Birds said...

I had the same idea of an eggnog-cranberry thumbprint with a different twist. Yours look absolutely delicious. Congratulations on rising to the challenge with style!

Cathy W said...

Thank you, Kristen, for hosting this. What a fun challenge! I love your cookies...everyone has such great ideas. I'm off to go visit.

p.s. I'll have to figure out what I did wrong...I don't have the link on the bottom of the blog.

Little Mommy said...

I love thumbprints and just posted them last week as my weekly Christmas cookie! Great minds! Thanks for hosting - you're awesome!

Kristin said...

These look so sweet and buttery. Yum! I still want to be in the challenges, but do I have to join yahoo in order to do this? When I clicked on the link, it told me I needed to sign up for yahoo.
Thanks for hosting!

Teri@thefreshmancook said...

These look delicious! Thumbprint cookies are one of my favorites!

Tara @ Crock-Pot Ladies said...

These all look great! Can't wait to try some of them. I of course totally goofed up and put the date to go live as the 17th. I didn't even get it typed up yet. Whoops! So I missed this month but already thinking of lemons and sour cream!!! Merry Christmas!

Claudia said...

What a grand improv and you're right - you never can go wrong with cookies! I bet these went fast.

Tina said...

These definitely do put a spin on the standard idea of thumbprint cookies! These cookies look amazing. So sweet of you to host the improv challenge and I am glad it is so successful. Have a great day.

Anne@frommysweetheart said...

Hi Kristen! I'm sorry I missed the challenge this month. Such a hectic time of year. But I promise to dive back in with it all in January! And I am also sorry because I am a huge eggnog fan! (and cranberries) and your thumbprints look divine! I bet your kids loved them! : )

Nicole @ I am a Honey Bee said...

glad I joined the improv challange and came across your blog!

great cookies! I love the dollop of filling on the top.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Eggnog and cranberries - now that sounds delicious! I didn't know this type of cookies are called thumbprints (you can tell I'm not a baker. =P). Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!

Beth Michelle said...

What a great way to use eggnog and cranberries. These cookies are so pretty and sound wonderful!

Jackie said...

These cookies sound and look delicious. I will definitely be adding the recipe to my collection.

Sue said...

The filling looks so creamy and delicious! My husband loves eggnog, so I need to give these a try.

Lynne said...

I love eggnog and cranberries so am quite sure I would love your delicious cookies! Happy Holidays!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.