Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Easy German Chocolate Frosting

My husband loves German Chocolate Cake.  Actually, he loves the idea of it.  I don't know if I have made him a real, homemade version ever.  I tend to grab a chocolate cake mix of any variety, throw it in a 9 X 13 pan and plop this frosting on top.  What he really wants is the coconut frosting on chocolate cake....sans nuts.  And that is the beauty of making your own frosting.  You can control the amount of nuts or the total lack thereof.

Most recipes call for 4 egg yolks....such a waste of whites...or more work for me while I make something that calls for them.  This recipe calls for only one whole egg.  Just what a frugal person such as myself loves.    This tme, I got fancy.  I made a two layer cake and put half of the coconut frosting in between the layers.  Then I opened a can of chocolate frosting and covered the edges.  It turned out much prettier than my usual efforts.

Easy German Chocolate Frosting:
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup canned evaporated milk
1 egg
4 Tbsp butter
a pinch of salt
7 ounce bag coconut (double this if not using nuts)
1 1/2 cups toasted chopped pecans (if desired)
In a saucepan, mix together the sugar, milk, egg, salt and butter.  Stir and heat until it thickens, watching out not to cook the egg!  Remove from heat and stir in the coconut and nuts.  Let cool.  Frost cake.

18 comments:

Kimby said...

Oooooh, I'll have to try this! Mine calls for egg yolks, too (although I usually make an omelet with the whites), but I'm all for frugality.

German Chocolate Cake Frosting on TOP of chocolate frosting? Sounds divine!

Cathy Wiechert said...

Oh yum! German chocolate cake has been my favorite since I was a child...and bring on the nuts. I could just eat the frosting with a spoon. Your cake is beautiful!

Lizzy Do said...

I could just eat that icing by the spoonful!!!! But like you, I need to step away from the sweets :) Lucky hubby!

JavelinWarrior said...

That looks amazing - I've never had frosting like this, but I love coconut so sign me up :)

Ann said...

Evaporated Milk?! Brilliant! I like extra nuts in coconut pecan frosting - but I'd eat this one in a North East Florida minute!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Wow wow wow! Coconut & chocolate? That cake is calling my name - I will absolutely love this!

Prathima Rao said...

wowieeee...incredible!!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Traditional Kitchens said...

How excellent is this formula, it's simple to make and delightful. The writer that recommended including corn starch to the disappeared take advantage of was right on focus on. I transformed out magnificently. I also carried out the pecans and avocado.

Joanne said...

I've been meaning to try my hand at a german chocolate cake...that chocolate/coconut combo is AWESOME.

Russell at Chasing Delicious said...

Yum! Now I want to make a cake and this frosting!

Steph said...

I want to make this and just eat it straight. Is that wrong?

Maggie said...

I don't know what's wrong with your husband...the more pecans the better in my house! :-) Glad to know this is just as tasty without though, because I love making German Chocolate cake and this would be a great recipe if someone comes with a nut allergy.

Cucina49 said...

I love German chocolate cake, but the icing always scares me a bit. Yours looks great AND doable!

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

I LOVE German Chocolate cake. Hubby is just like yours, loves his without the nuts. Oh, I wish I had a big slice right now!
Happy New Year Kristen! Can't wait to read more of you in the coming year!

Nicole @ the Daily Dish said...

That cake looks beautiful and the German Chocolate Frosting looks so good!! Coconut = super yummy!!
Thanks for sharing!!

Magic of Spice said...

Oh wow this looks so good...Beautiful!

Brasilian special espresso pods said...

In in german dark candy food has been my preferred since I was a kid and bring on the crazy. I could just eat the icing with a place. Your food is beautiful!

kita said...

Lol, the sans nuts comments reminds me of my own family. Each and everyone likes German Chocolate Cake a different way. There's no winning. I love it though - and would totally go for a slice right now!
Sorry Im so late on commenting, but I am trying to catch up, I swear!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.