Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Cheddar Bay Biscuits: Secret Recipe Challenge

I love reveals.  From  HGTV to What Not To Wear, I love the "ta-da" factor.  Today is Group B reveal day for the Secret Recipe Club and I think it is even more fun to be part of the reveal than to watch it.  This month, I was given Patricia's blog Butter Yum.  I have enjoyed reading her blog for a long time, so it was especially nice to be given her blog from which to choose a recipe.  I still need to make pizza using her 10 Secrets for making Pizzeria quality Pizza.  I have had that page bookmarked since she posted it in May 2010.  This time, however, I was short on time.  We have been passing a nasty virus through our house since Thanksgiving week.  Princess Pat is just finishing a course of antibiotics for an ear infection and the Thinker is home from school with "walking" pneumonia and another set of meds.  What we needed was biscuits to go with some chicken soup!
The original recipe was baked by ButterYum Jr., Patricia's daughter.  I made just a few changes according to our tastes and what I had in the cupboard.  Instead of parsley, I used chervil.  Honestly, I am not sure where my parsley is.  It's bothering me a little that the bottle seems to have walked off.  Anyhoo, I also added a bit more garlic and cheese.  I ask you: Is there such thing as too much garlic and cheese?  Not when it comes to biscuits.
Cheddar Bay Biscuits (adapted from ButterYum's delightful version)
2 cups biscuit mix
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2/3-3/4 cups milk (start with the smaller amount)
3 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp chervil (or parsley)
In a bowl, mix together butter, cheese and  1/4 tsp garlic powder with a pastry blender.  Add milk and stir with a fork until a soft dough is formed.  Using a small ice cream scoop, place in a greased 10 inch cake pan or on a greased baking sheet or a greased 9X9 pan. (If you want them to bake separately, use the baking sheet and leave space between them, if you like them all clumped together, use the smaller pans).  Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown.  (it takes longer if the biscuits are touching).  While the biscuits are baking, combine the melted butter, second 1/4 tsp garlic powder, kosher salt and chervil (parsley).  When the biscuits are done, remove from the oven, brush them with the butter mixture. 



47 comments:

Drick said...

I want to make these just like you did... beautiful and sounds so wonderful.. love the buttery taste on biscuits in the final step

Erin said...

Oh yum! I wish I could eat these right now for breakfast! Bread is my weakness =o)

amanda @ fake ginger said...

These are my favorite! I think I could eat them every day for the rest of my life and not get sick of them. Yours look fantastic!

Miz Helen said...

These biscuits look amazing, we would just love them. It is fun cooking with you at the SRC, have a great day!
Miz Helen

Nicole @ the Daily Dish said...

Kristen these turned out so beautiful!! And they look so good! Pinned! yum!

Melissa | Dash of east said...

Yum! These biscuits look scrumptious and beautiful! Will need to bake some of these for my husband - he's a sucker for anything bread - and these just look so yummy!

Jennifurla said...

This is what I want for dinner..and only this.

Katerina said...

Very easy and tasty recipe! I bet it was a family winner!

Lizzy said...

Lucky you getting Butter Yum! So many yummy dishes from which to choose...and you picked a winner with these biscuits! Hope you're having a great Monday!

danasfoodforthought said...

These sound delicious and look so perfect! It sounds like your family could use some comfort food, and this fits the bill perfectly!

Becky Jane said...

I ♥ homemade buttermilk biscuits! Adding garlic and cheese can only make a good thing better!

I thought I was already following you...surprise!

BTW I enjoyed reading your Mormon profile!!!

Karen said...

Perfect to go with soup - hope everyone gets to feeling better at your house!

Tina said...

These rolls do have some wonderful flavor ingredients-I would definitely need to make more than one pan-yum!
I hope your family gets to feeling better, especially with the holidays coming up. Take care and get some rest!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

My favorite reveals are on Extreme Makeover Home Edition! I ball my eyes out every single time!! Hope you guys get better quickly...

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Those biscuits are making my mouth water. I have a very similar recipe that is supposed to be the Red Lobster biscuit recipe. Biscuits and soup sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Hope everyone feels better soon!

Heather Lynne said...

These looks delicious. I love that you can use biscuit mix instead of going through the whole yeast process. This will make it nice and easy to have for a weeknight dinner!

angela @ angelaskitchen.com said...

These look great! I am going to try these with a gluten free biscuit mix - I can't pass these up! Hope everyone gets healthy at your house soon.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

These look excellent! I totally have to make these for the family!

Gloria said...

Look amazing, I love this type of recipe, look yumm:)

Sue said...

Kristen, These biscuits would make anyone feel better! They look YUMMO! I have been battling a cold since Thanksgiving and just looking at your biscuits has me feeling better:). Hope you whole household is healthy soon!

A Feast for the Eyes said...

These look like Red Lobster biscuits-- which are totally addicting. So nice to meet my fellow SRC bakers and cooks!
Debby, at A Feast for the Eyes

Anh said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing :)

Betsy said...

I'm pretty sure butter and garlic are in the "more the merrier" category. These look so yummy. Great post!

ButterYum said...

Hi Kristen - I'm so happy you liked these. I love your take - extra flavor is always good, and how cute that you baked them together in pan instead of individually. Like Garlic Monkey Bread :).

I sure hope everyone at your house feels better soon - no fun being sick!

Take care,
Patricia

Trisha said...

I hope everyone feels better soon. Nothing better than soup with biscuits to soothe oneself. The biscuits look great and you bet, what's too much garlic and cheese?

Jenny @ Savour the Senses said...

I think I need to make these soon! Glad to be a part of SRC with you!

tandysinclair.com said...

I have yet to try chervil! Hope the parsley comes back and wishing you all better :)

Angie's Recipes said...

This is terrific with some hot soup for the lunch!

easyfoodsmith said...

The biscuits look scrumptious and they have all my favourite flavours in them. Great post!

Loveforfood said...

I am so drooling over your pic!

Cucina49 said...

Those biscuits look fabulous--I love the colors the herbs give them. Delicious!

Kim Bee said...

Now this is impressive. I almost want to get sick again so I can make this to feel better. Lol. Almost. I have never tried chervil, interesting. I must check this stuff out.

Rhonda said...

Yeah for biscuits and cheese.

Claudia said...

I love, love cheddar biscuits - especially with some herbs. I'd eat the plate. Wouldn't even need dinner.

Belinda @zomppa said...

A grand ta-dah! And I am addicted to HGTV.

Julie said...

Love these biscuits!

Ann said...

Hi Kristen! Absolutely delicious! I hope everyone feels better soon! ...and you're right - if there is such a thing as too much garlic - I've not seen it!

Miriam said...

Those biscuits look awesome!!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Tamar1973 said...

You're right. There's no such thing as too much garlic! :)

Baker Street said...

I hope your family feels better soon.. The biscuits look delicious. And I agree, never anything like too much garlic. ;)

Lynne said...

Hope your family is well now. Your tasty cheddar biscuits has to make them feel better! They look wonderful!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Love biscuits and even better with garlic and cheese! Just looking at your photos made me crave for this - imagine this is in front of me - I'd lose my table manner! =P

BigBearswife said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe!! I can't wait to make them!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts said...

I love these biscuits! I wish I had bisquick so I could make them with dinner tonight!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family said...

Oh how I would love to dig right into these. Bread, and delicious soft bread, is my kryptonite.

Corina said...

These looks so delicious and fluffy - definitely agree about the cheese and garlic.

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

These look scrumptious and perfect!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.