Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

Cauliflower Gratin: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.  Mine was lovely.  My mother trained me to have a big huge dinner on Christmas Eve so that there were enough leftovers on Christmas Day that no one had to cook.  Knowing that I'd need a post for today, I added a new dish to our lineup: Cauliflower Gratin.

I am a visual person.  When I look for recipes in blogland, I will search three places.  1. Pinterest 2. Foodgawker or Tastespotting and 3. Google image search.  I find the picture I like best and then I look at the recipe.  If the recipe itself is a stinker, I head back to the photos until I find one whose recipe lives up to the deliciousness of its image.  Sometimes I strike gold, like in this recipe from The Cook's Atelier.  I tweaked a few ingredients according to what I had and my cheese addiction.  It was SO good; definitely not diet food, but great for a feast.
We also had our first Tur-duc-ken.  My brother brought it to me from Houston earlier in the month.  He had planned to ship it to me, but the un-named shipping company wanted $300 to ship it fast from Houston to Jacksonville.  Because he travels for his job, he had accrued enough miles to visit for a whopping $7.50.  He threw the bird(s) in his luggage, checked the bag and had it to me so fast that it hadn't even started to thaw by the time I put it into my freezer.  I have always wanted to try one, so I was tickled pink that he was so generous.
Back to the cauliflower, the recipe called for Gruyere and Parmesan cheese.  I had Swiss and Asiago.  I pretty much doubled what was called for.  I really like to sop up gravies and sauces with rolls, so the extra sauce left on my plate from the cauliflower made its way to my now new favorite rolls. 

Cauliflower Gratin (adapted from this recipe):
1 head of cauliflower cut into small florets
4 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups hot milk
1/4+ tsp grated nutmeg
2 cups grated Swiss cheese, divided
1 cup grated Asiago cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
Parboil the cauliflower for about 5 minutes.  Drain and let sit.  Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a saucepan.  Add the flour and stir until thickened, but not browned.  Microwave the milk in a pourable container (like a glass Pyrex measuring bowl) until very warm, but not boiling and add to the flour mixture, stirring constantly.  When thickened, remove from heat and stir in the nutmeg and  all of the cheese but 1/2 cup of the Swiss.  Pour 1/3 of the sauce into a greased baking dish.  Put the cauliflower on top of the sauce.  Pour the rest of the cheese sauce over the cauliflower.  In a small bowl, combine the remaining Swiss cheese with the bread crumbs.  Sprinkle that combination over the cauliflower.  Melt the last 2 Tbsp of butter and pour over the breadcrumbs.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown. 

Your turn!  What's new in your kitchen?  Did you post all of your Christmas dishes before or after the big day?




19 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for hosting! I left a recipe for easy, low sugar 5 spice shortbread cookies. Very yummy without a sugar high!
http://naturallivingsocal.blogspot.com/2011/12/5-spice-shortbread-cookies-low-in-sugar.html

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I'm sorry I didn't manage to visit in time to wish you a Merry Christmas. I'm so glad you had a lovely day!

Cooking on Christmas Eve sounds like a very good idea indeed. I'm fascinated by the tur-duc-ken - I have not seen one of those -what a cool idea! Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, and I hope you have a wonderful Boxing Day. Happy Holidays!

Kimby said...

Cheese seems to be on the menu these days -- no wonder -- it's comforting and delicious. Thanks for the great gratin recipe and also for the opportunity to link. Fun!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love vegetables gratins! That looks totally comforting and tasty.

Happy Holidays!
Angie

Anita Stafford said...

I have shared Candy Cane Blossoms and Peppermint Snowball Cookies. Thank you for hosting!

Katerina said...

I hated cauliflower just as much as broccoli when I was a child. Now I love them both and try to make them as often as possible. This is a great recipe and also hearty and comforting! Cauliflower and cheese make a great combination. May New Year bring to you and your family everything your hearts desire!

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...

Your cauliflower recipe sounds great! Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great Christmas!
Happy Holidays!
Best,
Gloria

Miz Helen said...

Your Gratin looks wonderful. I am sharing my New Years Eve Buffet today. Thank you so much for hosting and I am wishing you and your family a very blessed and abundant 2012!
Miz Helen

Ann said...

The gratin looks delicious and I bet it went perfectly with the Tur-Duc-Ken! Making a big meal on Christmas Eve is a great idea! I like the idea of just relaxing on the 25th!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

$300?! That's outrageous! Glad you were able to get one another way. And happy to hear you had such a nice time celebrating with your family!!

Tina said...

Glad your brother was able to bring that tur-duck-en at a much cheaper rate. With that on the table as well as the cauliflower dish-no doubt the meal was memorable as well as tasty. My brother did the big meal at Christmas eve too, nice idea to keep Christmas day reserved for relaxing with the family!

ping said...

You had me at cheese!
Cheese anything is good. All the more better in this gratin ... toasted cheese ... gooey deliciousness! Thought it might be fun to link my pies here since we are talking about Turducken.

raquel said...

Happy Holiday...just visiting your blog and looks for your new post I know most of us are so busy last Christmas you recipe looks great and I know the taste is also scrumptious too. Love to try it =)

Mother Rimmy said...

I always forget how affordable and delicious cauliflower is. I've saved this one for the future! Have a fantastic new year.

Miriam said...

Happy Holidays :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Becky Jane said...

I'm not a huge fan of cauliflower, but mixed with cheese...yum! yum!

Pat's Pink Apron said...

Your Holiday Salad and dressing looks really tasty. Thanks for hosting. I have brought New Year's Day Fruit Cake. Pat

Claudia said...

This satisfies my current need for vegetables as well as my own cheese addiction. Your brother is wonderful. Shipping food - the cost gets you (and breaks you) every time.

Sue said...

Sure looks like comfort food! I'd love to try a tur-duc-ken sometime; I never even knew such a thing existed...For the indecisive:)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.