Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

The Best of 2011

At the close of each year, I like to look back and count progress.  Sometimes I have to measure it in things like "no one broke a bone this year, no one caught the plague, everyone passed in school, we had enough to eat."  Other times there have been spectacular events like "The Thinker lost his first tooth, Princess Pat said her first word, The Musician was on the honor roll, The Engineer made a touchdown,  and The Comedian learned to ride a bike."  2011 was a mixture of both. 

We started the year like the few before it.  We were in financial hardship, living with my parents in Arizona.  My husband was mostly gone, working in Florida and Washington, trying to pull things together so that we could be on our own again.  The kids were in good schools, had good friends and I had my blog.

In March, the Good Guy was hired by a company in San Fransisco.  And we decided to move to Florida.  Really, don't ask.  We often do things that seem crazy, but things work out for the best.  And they have.  The Good Guy and I found a few homes online to look at, and he picked the best one.  We moved to Florida in July and despite some ridiculous apprehensions on my part, we have settled in nicely.  Yes, the Good Guy is gone at least 2 weeks of the month to the other side of the country.  Yes, I find part-time single parenting 4 teenage boys and a young girl frustrating and overwhelming sometimes.  Yes, we are still struggling with some pretty massive financial issues.  But we are happier than we have been in a long time.

The Musician is the president of the student council of his high school.  The Thinker finally got to play golf with a school team.  The Engineer is enjoying being at a school all by himself and played a great season of football.  The Comedian has found some amazing neighborhood friends who say, "yes Ma'am" without a second thought..and it's rubbing off on him.  Princess Pat has started her school career and loves it.  I have made some wonderful neighborhood friends as well as gotten the chance to meet food bloggers IN REAL LIFE!!  The Good Guy's blood pressure is down, his ulcer isn't acting up and he is pleased to be providing for his family again.  Yes, I'd say that 2011 has been a great year for us.

Actually, this was going to be a post with the top five posts of 2011.  You know, food.  I went looking to see what my stats said were the most popular and was surprised at the foods that got the most traffic.  Some of them were stumbled by the right people and went a little crazy, but all of it is just plain food...nothing fancy.  I guess that's okay.  Because there is nothing fancy about me, either.

#5 Peanut Butter Banana Bread
#4 Oatmeal Raisin Muffins
#3 Brown Sugar Pound Cake
#2 Asiago Garlic Rolls
#1 Mexican Stroganof
Have a wonderful, safe New Year's.  See you next year!

24 comments:

Lizzy Do said...

I'm so glad 2011 was a year of improvements for you and your family...and I wish you all the best for 2012, Kristen! xo

PS...loved seeing your top posts. My most popular ever was a bar I photographed on my kitchen counter with a flash during my first months of blogging...like you said, stumbled by someone with clout:)

Cathy Wiechert said...

What a wonderful family--and how great that 2011 turned out so much better for all of you! Now, I'm off to print out that Peanut Butter Banana Bread recipe...

Here is wishing you an even better 2012!

Ann said...

It WAS a good year and I'm thrilled that I got to meet you in person! Congratulations on your kids achievements...but mostly I love hearing that you're happy!

Here's wishing 2012 to be even better!

Nicole @ the Daily Dish said...

Kristen, here's to a happy and healthy 2012. I'm glad that 2011 was a year of changes and they all sound positive.
So happy to have met you and call you my foodie friend. You have an amazing blog that I plan to follow for a long time to come! :)

Hearty Appletite said...

As a newbie food blogger, it's been great getting to "know" you. I'm glad 2011 was a great year for you, and I hope 2012 is even better! I love your blog :)

Quirky Jessi said...

We all like looking at fancy food and drooling over the possibilities, but when it comes right down to it, we mostly cook "real" food. You know, the dishes that are easy or cheap (or hopefully both!)....the ones that all the kids can agree on (mostly) without fussing....and on and on. That's the kind of recipes we want!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Wishing you and your lovely family a happy new year!

drick perry said...

Ain't life funny. Here you are in the south, a whole nutter culture, folks tauking all backwards and life's done held you up and made you twinkle. Sounds like your kids are shining too and life is a little brighter. Somehow, I think where ever y'all landed, things would be equally as good.
Have a blessed New Year's eve and a happy day...don't forget the triad of foods for NY's day not that you're in the south...

Claudia said...

What a sweet post! Staying true to your values and love of family - managing to keep it together and make things better. I hope 2012 continues to bring good things. Happy New Year Kristen! May you have delicious days and joys.

Magic of Spice said...

I am so happy that things are moving in a good direction for you, and of course this will just keep going I am sure :)
Wishing you an unbelievably delightful 2012!

Katerina said...

Well, that was certainly a full year for you Kristen! And all the hardships you went through, only made you stronger. Your family is as united as the five fingers on a feast and this is something not many families can accomplish. I wish to you 2012 to be an easier year for you, so as to enjoy all the good things 2011 brought to your lives!

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

Happy New Years! Glad to hear life is settling into a routine again! I hope 2012 is your best ever.

Terra said...

Sounds like you had an eventful year! I am happy to be back on track with enjoying your blog, I missed some delicious recipes. Your Mexican Stroganof, and the Brown Sugar Pound Cake sound amazing:-) Hugs, Terra

unorthodoxepicure said...

I can tell you one thing about 2012... I'll be one of your faithful readers! Well done blog and outstanding recipes. Happy 2012!

Martha said...

2011 was a good year, with incredible sadness and frustration sprinkled in.

I am amazed by the way God works. Who would have ever thought life would be less stressful living on one side of the country and working on the other.

Beth said...

Thanks for the year-end summary. What a year you've had! I'm glad to hear you landed on your feet. Good luck to you, your husband and kids, and I hope 2012 brings many blessings to all of you.

Peggy said...

Sounds like you had a whirlwind of a year to me! I hope 2012 brings just as much joy and happiness to your family =)

Cucina49 said...

Those all look wonderful, but the Mexican stroganoff is a must-eat! Happy new year to you and your family!

Happy When Not Hungry said...

Great recipes! Happy New Year!

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

A great round up - all the very best for 2012 to you and your lovely family!
Mary x

Anne@frommysweetheart said...

Happy New Year Kristen and what a WONDERFUL post! Change is so very difficult for me and you have endured so much in the past year. But it seems all for the best and you seemed like you've adapted well. And I love that you find the silver lining in it all. Actually, reading your review of last year makes me see what an amazing woman, mom, writer and blogger you are! Who needs to be fancy when you are a phenom!!! I wish you and your family a wonderful new year, filled with love, good health and happiness! And I have two grown boys myself...so yes...sometimes uneventful can be a good thing! All the best to you and yours, Kristen and I look forward to your wonderful posts in the new year! : )

Stephanie said...

You certainly had a crazy year, but I hope 2012 is filled with lots of laughs, health, and happiness!

Jennifer said...

Wow, Kristen...you've had a pretty tough year, but I'm so glad to hear that it's all working out. I can identify, believe me. It's funny how things just seem to eventually work out.

Now all I can think about are those Asiago Garlic Rolls...it's like a song stuck in my head! Happy 2012!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

It's wonderful how you can focus on the ways that you are blessed! Sometimes that's not always easy! Who am I kidding? Lots of times that's not easy... May 2012 bring you and your family great joy Kristen!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.