Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

S'mores Bars: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

Some people can put a marshmallow on a stick, roast it over a fire, get it perfectly golden brown and then smoothly get it onto a waiting graham cracker and chocolate bar with no mess whatsoever.  I am not that person.  My marshmallows usually ignite within nanoseconds of hitting the fire.  Then they smear all over the heating stick, leaving at least thirty percent of themselves behind.  Another glob of marshmallow coats my fingers, burning as I attempt to get the dang S'more together.  It is not a pretty sight.
These bars turned out for me just like the real ones do, so they were pretty authentic.  Take a look at the bars over at Cooking With My Kid where I first found the recipe.  Hers are perfect.  Take a look at another version that I found at allyou.com.  I am just keeping it real here, folks.  Not only did I make these late Saturday, after the sun and all of my decent light had set, I had marshmallow expanding all over the place.  I think the idea is to keep the bottom layer thin and the top layer thick.  I did the opposite and therefore did not have enough weighty crust to keep the marshmallow fluff in check.  There is nothing like unchecked marshmallows rampaging in your oven to give you grey hairs. 
Despite an imperfect appearance, these bars were, in the words of my #2 son, "scrumdilliumptious."  In fact, I had a near mutiny when I told everyone that they could only have one piece because I was saving the rest for the next day's dessert.  Oh, the deprivations my children must endure!

S'mores Bars (adapted from cookingwithmykid.com and allyou.com)
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
11/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 7 ounce jar marshmallow fluff
In a mixing bowl, cream the sugars and margarine.  Add the egg and vanilla bean paste.  In a smaller bowl, combine the dry ingredients and then add them to the mixing bowl, mixing well.  Spread a scant half of the mixture into a greased 8X8 pan.  Top with the chocolate chips.  Top the chips with the fluff.  Put it in the middle of the pan and slowly spread it toward the edges over the chips.  Put the second half of the crust on top of the fluff and spread it out in the same slow manner so you don't actually mix the marshmallow with the crust.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. 

I am looking forward to seeing what you made in your kitchen this week. 


15 comments:

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

Your smores look great. Couldn't find your linky to link a recipe this week.

Fallon said...

Those look great! I've made these before but used regular marshmallows. Must try it with the fluff next time!

Erin said...

Your s'more bars look so darn good! I wish I had them right now!

dikvipreal said...

Thank you for sharing.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

These look fantastic!! The kids would love these!

Miz Helen said...

Your Smores Bars look delicious. I am sharing my Cranberry beef today. Thanks for hosting and have a great week!
Miz Helen

Val said...

Can s'mores bars really be saved for the next day?! These look fab :)

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family said...

I love the gooey marshmallow.

Emily Malloy said...

Oooh my God.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

S'Mores are one of my all-time favorite desserts! And the best part about s'mores is that they taste even better in cookie and bar form. Or cupcakes, I don't discriminate!

Cucina49 said...

These look yummy--a perfect weekend dessert!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

S'mores in bar form? Yes, please!

Kim Bee said...

Omg I would eat the whole pan then lick it clean. This is amazing and I am in awe. Yum. Super yum.

Mother Rimmy said...

Love it! Smores without the campfire smell in my hair!

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

Your smores look great Kristen!
Marshmallows and chocolate, mmmm, love this sinfully combo!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.