Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pumpkin Banana Bread

 There are so many possibilities when it comes to pumpkin.  It mixes with other fruits pretty well, too.  I have made pumpkin apple muffins.  I have made orange pumpkin pie.  This time, I combined it with bananas in a bread.  What other fruits have you seen pumpkin paired with?
 My bread pan was too big for this recipe.  Actually, I think it would have been better made into two mini loaves.  Not that the bread was dry or anything.  It was just short.  I find short quick breads annoying.  It's like they are trying to be cute and mini, but they just can't pull it off.  I guess I am a bit of a quick bread snob.

Pumpkin Banana Bread (from the Greenbriar Bed and Breakfast Inn, Coeur D'Alene, ID)
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup oil
1 2/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
Combine the banana, pumpkin, egg, sugar and oil in a bowl.  In a smaller bowl, combine the dry ingredients and then add them to the banana mix.  Stir until just blended.  Bake in a regular size greased loaf pan or two small loaf pans.  Bake larger loaf 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes.  Bake the smaller loaves 35-45 minutes, or until tooth pick comes out clean.

***to make these into muffins, divide into greased muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes or until they test done.

19 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

Beautiful! Mini loaves are the best....

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I love the idea of this wonderful bread - quick, easy and very yummy!

Miranda said...

Pumpkin and banana - sounds like a great combination!

Ann said...

Fun combo! ....BREAD SNOB?! Bwahahah! Too funny! I like the tall quick breads, too....but if you offered me a slice I wouldn't turn it down - it looks amazing!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Pumpkin and banana together...I'm sold!

Tiffanee said...

What a great flavor combination! Would of never thought of it. YUM!!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

I don't usually think to pair pumpkin with fruit - I usually lean towards chocolate... But banana and pumpkin do sound like they would go well together. Short loaf and all!

Baker Street said...

Pumpkin and banana, I'm in!

Sandra said...

This bread look and sound perfect..great photos too!

Frugal in WV said...

Pumpkin bread is the best, even better with bananas! Sounds yummy!

Tina said...

Banana and pumpkin sounds delicious! There is no way that the loaf would be dry with those two ingredients. Short, fat, thick thin...doesn't matter much if it tastes good. This recipe no doubt makes a delicious loaf.
Ha-now that you have exposed your snobbery-that eliminates the chance of anyone sending you a short loaf as gift!

Michael Toa said...

pumpkin and banana sound like a great combination. the bread looks wonderful.

Maggie said...

Ooooo this looks so good! I have 1/2 can of pumpkin in my fridge that needs to be used up. I think I'll be making this soon! Thanks for another great recipe!

laurie said...

What a great combo!

cookingvarieties said...

hi kristen, o ya, great idea to add the versatile banana, To me banana flavor blends well with most food ingredients, so is cinnamon..
i guess your cake tastes much better. They looks delicious in the photo.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

Hahaha, short quick bread! Too funny! I don't like when that happens either! I bet this bread is tasty either way!

Barbara Bakes said...

I've had pumpkin with apples and cranberries, but not banana yet. Great idea. Of course chocolate is my favorite!

Kim Bee said...

Is it acceptable to just reply "NOM NOM NOM"?

kyleen said...

This looks delicious. I actually made something with pumpkin puree the other day and now I have a little bit leftover, the perfect amount to make this little loaf.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.