Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Crockpot Chicken Caccatore: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

This recipe was highlighted last week by Amy of A Little Nosh.  It came from Renee over at My Kitchen Adventures.  The day I read it, I popped a bunch of ingredients in my crock-pot and had it for dinner.  That is a huge deal because I usually stick pretty closely to my weekly menu.  However, it looked so good and I was reading recipes at 5:30 in the morning and I was hungry.   How could I resist against such obviously good reasons?
The original recipe called for 9 chicken thighs.  I used 1 whole chicken breast.  Because most chickens seem to be the Dolly Partons of the bird world these days, I was able to feed 8.  I also threw in a mongo sweet potato, skipped the mushrooms, used freeze dried celery and red peppers, omitted the spinach and wine and added whole baby carrots and more tomatoes.  Oh and I served it with pasta instead of polenta.

Crockpot Chicken Caccatore (adapted from My Kitchen Adventures)
1 large, whole chicken breast, cut into 8 pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
1 large handful whole baby carrots
1 rib celery, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
1 bay leaf
2-3 Tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp chicken base
2 cups water
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
Throw all of the ingredients into a slow cooker.  Give it a stir and cook 8 hours on low.  Serve over cooked pasta or rice.

Your turn!  Come join the fun and show us what you have made in your kitchen this week!


18 comments:

Anita Stafford said...

Your Crockpot Chicken looks delicious, makes me want to turn my crock pot on! I have shared Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. Thank you for hosting!

Blackswan said...

Looks like I've to dig out my crockpot to cook this! I've just submitted my latest cooking: Pan-Seared Scallops in Lemon Myrtle Cream Hope u'll like it!

Marie said...

This looks good, and looks easy to make too! I always love finding new crockpot recipes--thanks for sharing!

Tina said...

I would never give up my crockpot for anything-love one pot meals. This dish does look like it is full of delicious ingredients. Also, there is no doubt that the chicken is as moist as can be. Well done-also thanks for all those links!

Drick said...

just had to get another cooker, my older one (and biggest) made one too many pots of red beans I guess... this chicken dish looks perfect to break in my new one...

Angie's Recipes said...

This looks easy to make and delicious as well!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kristen
What a great recipe, we will be trying this very soon. Thanks for hosting and have a great week!
Miz Helen

Joanne said...

I could kiss you for throwing sweet potato into this. Genius move.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

I can see why you just had to make this right away! It looks so yummy and is full of great ingredients!

Ann said...

Delicious recipe and you did some big adaptions! I have to say the Mongo Sweet Potato made me laugh out loud!

Nicely done - and a great read....as always, Kristen!

Emily said...

yum! Linking up for the first time with Pumpkin doughnuts!

kita said...

I am guilty of loving my slow cooker a little too much. Anything that I can toss together and come back later for? Oh yeah!

Katherines Corner said...

My daughter cooks a lot in the crock pot. She'll love this yummy recipe. Hugs!

Lizzy said...

Perfect, delicious crock pot meal!!!

Carol@easytobeglutenfree said...

Your recipe looks great! I have made Chicken Caccatore many times but never in the crock pot. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm sharing this on Pinterest. By the way your recipe says "chicken bread" instead of "chicken breasts".

Anonymous said...

So you only used 1 chicken breast? Usually when I make crock pot chicken recipes, I use at least 4. Please let me know, I can't wait to try this! TY, Brenda

Monet said...

This looks easy and comforting. I'm making food for a family that just had a baby. Maybe I'll make this! Thank you for sharing with me. As always, you make me smile. I hope you are having a great week. I know I'm ready for Friday!

Kristen said...

Brenda, Yes I really only used one whole chicken breast (two halves) but they were HUGE!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.