Thursday, November 10, 2011

Candy Cap Mushroom Syrup Cupcakes

Can you believe that there is a mushroom that smells like a maple bar?  When I received my sample from Marx Foods last week, I left the bag of them on the counter.  All week long, my kids kept looking for the donuts.  Really, the aroma was very nice and very maple-y.  The only problem I had was limiting my ideas of what to do with those mushrooms, which also included plotting ways of getting my sweets-loving, mushroom-hating third son to eat them.  Cupcakes seemed like the best route. 
See those little dark pieces in the cupcakes?  Those are candied Candy Caps.  Instead of soaking them in straight water, I heated them in a heavy syrup and let them soak in sugar.  When they were nice and plump, I chopped them up.  I didn't stop there, though.  That syrup was full of flavor, so it went into both the cupcakes and the frosting.   
My kids accuse me of staying up late at night to come up with new ways to torture them.  Normally, that is a ridiculous thought.  However, in this case, slipping mushrooms right past my whole family was worth every effort.  Everyone was oohing and aahing over dessert.  They all went back for seconds and thirds. No one suspected a thing.  I saved out a few mushrooms, ground them up fine and plan to sneak them into something else in the future. Snicker, snicker.
I am submitting this recipe to the Candy Cap Mushroom recipe contest.

Candy Cap Mushroom Syrup Cupcakes
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening (or butter)
3/4 cup Candy Cap Mushroom syrup (see below for instructions)
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp finely chopped candied Candy Cap Mushrooms
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 1/4 cups flour
3 egg whites
Cream the sugar and shortening.  Add the syrup, milk, mushrooms and vanilla.  Combine the salt, baking powder and flour in a small bowl and add to the wet ingredients, mixing until smooth.  Beat the egg whites until stiff.  Fold into the cake batter.  Scoop out into 15 regular sized cupcake liners.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes or until done.  Cool on a wire rack.  Frost with brown sugar frosting.

Brown Sugar Frosting
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp Candy Cap Mushroom syrup
2 Tbsp milk
1 cup powdered sugar
In a small saucepan, melt butter with brown sugar and syrup on medium low heat.  Add the milk and bring to a rolling boil.  Boil for 2 minutes.  Add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.  Cool for 5 minutes in the freezer and then spread on cupcakes.

To make Candy Cap Mushroom Syrup: Heat 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan.  Add 1/4 cup dried candy cap mushrooms.  Boil rapidly for 5-8 minutes.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.  Turn off heat and let sit for another 15 minutes.  When mushrooms are nice and plump, but cool enough to handle, remove from syrup and chop as desired.


Belinda @zomppa said...

What an unusual and wonderful treat!

Gordon@PimpThatFood said...

Hi Kristen! Your Interview has been published...

Aarthi said...

yummy yummy..Delicious..Thanks for the recipe dear

My Blog

Erin said...

Well that's just the strangest thing I've ever heard. How cool!!!

Fallon said...

When I saw the title of this in my blog reader I was like what in the world?? That has to be the most creative idea ever. I've never tried a candied mushroom..and I love mushrooms! Ever since I was a little kid, I loved them. LOL

Karen said...

I had to come check out mushroom cupcakes! I had no idea there were mushrooms like these...I'm very intrigued! Your creation looks amazing...good luck with the recipe contest!

Tina said...

Well the candy cap mushrooms are definitely new to me. I have already been all over the place looking for the new strain of mint plants they have out that are actually chocolate mint. Lucky you to have been the recipient of these interesting little mushrooms.
Very creative of you also to sneak these into cupcakes! Good luck in the contest.

Steph said...

This is the craziest thing I've ever seen, but I want to try it so bad!! How awesome!!

adventuresindinner said...

Very, very fun! I almost thought this was an April Fool's.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

I have never heard of this! I am very intrigued!

Ann said...

Kristen - this is GREAT! i love the idea that you were able to get one by the kids, but this is a GREAT recipe! I'd vote for you!

Anonymous said...

No way! So excited to try this recipe. Found organic dried candy cap mushrooms for $6 less than the site you got yours from here:

Little Mommy said...

Genius! Great work!

mywanderingspoon said...

Kristen, WOW, sounds and looks fantastic, what a great recipe:)

Tiffanee said...

Very impressive! I would of never thought of this. They look delicious and now you've got me intrigued! Gonna have to try it out!

Sue said...

You are one sneaky mom, and I love it! This recipe sounds so unique, Kristan. Way to go!

galit said...

I was sure this was about a candy I didn't know about - but how cool are these!

The Cafe Dietitian said...

Really..smells like a maple bar?!
I'm learning all the time from you pros in the blog world, thanks ;)

Tiffany said...

I have never heard of those mushrooms. So cool. These must be the most unique cupcakes ever!!

Joanne said...

You know, I saw a display of candy cap mushroom cookies at the Foodbuzz Festival and I didn't try them cause I thought they were more savory than sweet. How I wish I could go back and try them now! Those cupcakes look awesome!

Angie's Recipes said...

Mushrooms in sweet's creative. I wish I could try one.
Nice paper liners.

Magic of Spice said...

Oh wow, how unique can you get! I must seek out these mushrooms...amazing idea for cupcakes!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.