Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Candy Bar Cookies: Week 6 Christmas Cookies

Am I the only parent who feels like there is too much candy in her house?   After attending a huge Halloween party, sending the kids out into the neighborhood to trick-or-treat and not having many children ring our own doorbell because the other 3 houses on our cul-de-sac left their porch lights off, I have pounds of candy.  POUNDS!!!  I may or may not have also bought an 80 piece bag of candy the day after Halloween so that I could bake with it.
My sons are making short work of their stashes.  I believe that all of the kids' candy will be gone according to their ages.  The oldest is already out.  My little girl is only allowed a certain number of pieces a day.  She may have candy until New Year's Day.  My husband is working through the candy we didn't pass out, but I helped him a bit with this recipe.
 (some are a little mangled because Princess Pat was very exuberant in helping me put the candy in)
I am going to come completely clean with this recipe.  I used refrigerated dough.  But seriously folks, how many of us have received plates of cookies that we KNOW were made from these?!  I thought so.  And did our families eat them?  So did mine.  It happens.  During the holidays  parties and other obligations are numerous, while time and energy are in short supply.    These cookies came about because a store had a BOGO free sale and I had a coupon.  Two packages for two bucks is too cheap for me to pass up.  (Notice how many times I used the word to/two/too in that sentence!!)  So, I give you Candy Bar Cookies: store bought cookie dough baked in mini muffin tins with store bought Halloween candy dropped into the middles after baking.  Our candies of choice this time were Milk Duds, Baby Ruth, Crunch and Tootsie Rolls.

 Candy Bar Cookies
1 package refrigerated cookie dough (pb or choc chip)
1/2 as many small candy bars as you have cookies, cut in half
Place each cookie in a mini muffin tin.  Bake 8 minutes at 350 degrees.  Remove from oven and immediately put a candy half in each cookie.  Take them out of the muffin tin so they don't get soggy.






25 comments:

Tina said...

Sorry that you did not have many kids stop in at Halloween, but the overload of candy seems to have you motivated to be creative in the kitchen.
These cookies look great-I know I would probably eat a number of them! Candy/cookie combos are on my favorites list. Yum!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love this kind of cookie..richer and tastier.

Sandi G said...

To-Two-Too, your clever writing eye caught that ;)

Nothing wrong w/making things easier once in awhile, it's the season! Oh, and I'll be adding a Mounds bar to my oatmeal this morning.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

We had TONS of trick or treaters, but my kids still managed to come home with may more than what we started with, which was A LOT. I hang on to most of it though, and use it throughout the holidays in my various baking projects. My friend always says there are two kinds of people in the world, those who cheat sometimes, and those who lie about cheating sometimes!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Oh wow!! These look absolutely delicious, you had me at candy bar!! :)

Monet said...

What a great way to use up leftover candy (or a great excuse to go buy some) Thank you for sharing another delicious and tempting treat with me. It was a nice way to begin my morning...now if only I could bake all day and not go to work. Many blessings and hopes for a beautiful week!

Miranda said...

I think I bought too much candy too. So candy and cookies sound great!

Emily Malloy said...

Send some my way, whydontcha?!

Erin said...

These look totally tasty! We have way too much candy also. It's crazy!

Sue said...

I NEED to follow suit, Kristen!

BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} said...

I love this idea!! It is nice to have an easy, quick recipe for baking emergencies. :)

shopannies said...

perfect cookie for after halloween cookie these look delicious

Katrina said...

I love your little disclaimer there.
And your admitting to using refrigerator dough, it definitely has its place. My husband prefers boxed brownies, so sometimes I make them just for him. (crazy guy)

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

What a great idea for the leftover candy! And I have to admit, we sometimes use refrigerated dough, too! :-)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

These cookies look so good! We have a lot of left overs too..sigh...(as I eat a fun size snickers...)

kita said...

This looks like the perfect way to use up that pesky left over candy!

Ann said...

Kristen - these remind me of a cookie my sister-in-law makes! She uses the chocolate chip dough and puts a mini peanut butter cup in them...my dad LOVES them and she always makes a batch for him when she visits!

Aarthi said...

I love this dish a lot..Thanks for the recipe dear..Totally loving it....Following your blog straight away..If you have time Check out my blog too..

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/
I am having a Giveaway..
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/2011/10/3-reason-to-celebrate-3-cookbooks.html

galit said...

Now I know what to do with that great big bag of halloween chocolates my brother sent me... Thanks so much!

sue said...

this is a great idea:) I think it just makes sence to buy the half price candy if you want to have them to make these;p

Joy said...

I should have thought have thought of that.

Tiffanee said...

Brilliant and oh so delicious!!

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse said...

what a great idea - and I love your extra comment about the candy you bought afterwards! ;-)

The Poet Herself said...

This is a helpful post on a year like this when Halloween was canceled around here due to the really bad snow storm last week. I'm sure a lot of people have a ton of extra candy kicking around right now! Great use for it. :)

Barbara Bakes said...

A perfect way to use up Halloween candy. Love using my mini muffin tin for cookies too.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.