Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Individual Apple Crisps: Your Recipe, My Kitchen


I have a few pumpkin recipes in the queue to post next week, so I thought it was high time for an apple recipe.  After all.  Autumn means both apple and pumpkin, right?!  I was planning on making a regular apple crisp, but then I saw my ramekins and thought how fun they would be made in them.
In this post, everything was mini.  Even the photos.  Sorry.  I was playing around with pixels and ended up making all of them really small.  I really need to find a community college that offers a photography class.  Anywho, I was inspired by Jacob's Kitchen to make these.  He posted a gorgeous apple crisp last year.
I fiddled with these a bit.  I made the crumb topping totally without sugar, put that topping on two ramekins and then added brown sugar to the rest of the topping for the rest of the ramekins.  You know sugar melts and adds to the liquid ingredients in a dish, right?  Well that was definitely a problem in the sugar free versions.  Although tasty, they were a bit dry.  The others were well received, especially with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top. Because there is no sugar in the filling, it doesn't develop a gloppy syrup around the apples.  You could add sugar if that is your desired outcome.

Individual Apple Crisps (adapted from This recipe)
apples  - as many as you have ramekins ( I used Granny Smith and McIntosh) (up to 10)
1 tsp cinnamon
Peel, core and chop the apples.  Mix in a bowl with the cinnamon.  Spoon into the ramekins.
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Mix topping ingredients with a pastry blender until crumbly.  Sprinkle over the apples.  Place the ramekins on a larger baking sheet and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender. 
If you have leftover topping, put it in the fridge for muffins or some other use.


19 comments:

SnoWhite said...

those look wonderful!! I'm a sucker for anything apple ;)

Ann said...

These look absolutely amazing! If you find that class, let me know - I need it, too! We can have coffee afterwards and you-know-where!

Sonia said...

YUMMY!! I have all the ingredients.... think I'm going to have make some myself. :)

Sue said...

I love fruit crisp, especially apple. Looks so good! Maybe individual servings would help me to control myself! I tried to sign up for a photo class, but it filled up so fast that I didn't get in:(

Little Mommy said...

Looks so delish! Thanks for sharing!

Chelsea said...

Mmmm! I want to make some. Just a side note, if you don't have ramekins (like me) you can use stonewear mugs instead. Just make sure they say oven safe on them. Makes for a fun presentation!

Anita Stafford said...

Your Apple Crisp looks so good! I have shared Date and Apple Muffins and Deviled Eggs. Thank you for hosting!

Katerina said...

Apples and crisp, I love the combination! They look delicious!

cookingvarieties said...

hi kristen, this looks so authentic and delicious.. different from normal ones i have seen

Blackswan said...

Such a lovely treat! Happy Halloween, Kristy!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Super yum! I haven't made a crisp yet this season, this looks perfect!

Lizzy said...

Oh, this is one of my favorite desserts...yum! And I think we need to find a book: Blogging Photography for Dummies (not that you're a dummy at all!). I'd be in line for the first copy!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

FSCJ offers all kinds of photography classes, but if I remember correctly they're all at the campus over on Beach Blvd. They had some really interesting ones though...

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

The apple crisp look delicious! Thanks so much for hosting:)

Roxana GreenGirl said...

I love apple treats when the weather cools and yours sound great Kristen!

Susan Lindquist said...

You are so right! It wouldn't be autumn without a great apple crisp recipe! Love the idea of the little ramekins!

SB made apple crisp to take to his brother's hunting party last weekend ... they guys loved it!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

Apple crisps are my favorite type of fruit crisp so I would be all over these!!

Joanne said...

I love apple crisps! And i kind of adore that these are portion-controlled...cause there's no way I could have just one scoop of crisp if left to my own devices!

Barb @ A Life in Balance said...

Love the idea! I have some crisp topping in the fridge already because I need to use up apples. I think the kids would get a kick out of mini crisps, especially if there's a scoop of ice cream on top.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.