Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Easy Date Drops: Week #3 Christmas Cookies


These cookies come from my mother-in-law.  When I first married the Good Guy, I had not tasted dates much and didn't know if I liked them.  By our second Christmas together, we were living within 45 minutes of my in-laws and that is when I first tasted these treats.  This recipe has been in my mother-in-law's recipe file for well over 50 years.  It just wouldn't be Christmas in that house if these cookies didn't make an appearance.  
The soft brown sugar cookie and the date filling combine to make an almost butterscotch flavor.  They are sweet and unassuming, but oh so addictive.  I was hooked after just one bite.  They are super simple to make.  The "filled" look is achieved simply by putting a spoonful of dough on the sheet followed by a smaller spoonful of filling and topped off with a second,  even smaller, dollop of dough.  While they bake, they flatten out but the filling mostly stays between the dough layers. 
Easy Date Drops:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup water or buttermilk
3 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp cinnamon 
filling
2 cups chopped, pitted dates
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Cream the sugar and butter until smooth.  Add the eggs and vanilla.  Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and add them alternately with the water.  Boil the filling ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until thick.  Drop a spoonful of dough onto a greased baking sheet.  Top with a slightly smaller spoonful of filling and then top that with about half the amount of dough as you used on the bottom layer.  Bake 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Let cool on a wire rack.


26 comments:

Three-Cookies said...

These sound and look awesome. I made prune cookies previously, haven't tried date yet but I can imagine...

ping said...

Hey Kristen. These look awesome! I don't like eating dates on it's own but baked into a cake or cooked in some way ... it has a really beautiful taste and a sweetness that's not too cloying. Bookmarked!

Walking on Sunshine... said...

These look very similar to a cookie my grandmother use to bake for us and she never had a recipe written down! Thanks for sharing!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family said...

What a delicious looking cookie. We love dates at my house and putting in a cookie sounds like a great plan :)

Free Spirit Eater said...

I love trying vintage recipes! This one in particular looks fabulous! I love that you mentioned that when the flavors combine, it tastes like butterscotch. Thanks for sharing, they look very yummy =]

The Mom Chef said...

How funny that these end up with a butterscotch flavor. I love the idea of that. They look fantastic; pillowy and soft. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} said...

I love family recipes! Thanks for sharing!! I've never cooked with dates before.

Lizzy said...

What a treasured recipe! These sound amazing...I love dates, so I have a feeling I'd eat a lot of these gems :)

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

These look amazing, what a great recipe!! Thanks for the blog hop too, added my skinny snickerdoodles! :)

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Mmmm! I bet I could eat the entire batch of these - dates are among my favorite things ever!

Tracy said...

Oooo, I love dates! Will definitely have to make these, they look simply perfect!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

These cookies look so good! I love dates and I bet they taste so yummy in these cookies!

Tiffany said...

These look so tasty! Is it Christmas yet?!?!? :D

kita said...

How awesome of you to share your MIL's recipe with us. I feel like I just learned a valuable family secret - and a delicious one to boot! These date drops sound wonderful. :D

Anonymous said...

those look sooo good. i don't have to wait until christmas to try them do i? :) do you usually make them w/ water or buttermilk? does it effect the finally cookie much? i'm wondering if the buttermilk version is a bit "richer"....

Ann said...

Oh, Kristen - these are AWESOME! I was never a fan of dates either, but I really enjoy them in baked goods. Really lovely!

Thristhan said...

Getting prepared for Christmas already huh? :)

Trisha said...

They look lovely. I would've never guessed that they had a filling in the center. But that makes them sound even better!

Belinda @zomppa said...

They look perfect - must we wait until Christmas?

teacheranne27 said...

This look awesome my friend makes some no bake date cookies with rice crispies and coconut .she will be wow when I present these

Prathima Rao said...

Gorgeous cookies Kristen..A perfect one for Christmas.. :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

This is my first time seeing this blog hop. How nice! I love Christmas and we start enjoying the holiday a little earlier. :-) I'm also not used to using dates in cooking. These cookies look delicious and everyone would enjoy dates in these!

Sandi said...

Ohh, I love dates, especially w/goat cheese. Tastes better than it sounds :) Your cookies are WAY more appealing!

laurie said...

What a great recipe!

cookingvarieties said...

hi kristen..what a crispy looking vintage recipe.. have'nt seen this before, the color is of a very classy brown, nice photo.
bookmarked with thanks

scrambledhenfruit said...

My mom always makes date cookies for Christmas and we love them. These are different though, with the filling inside. I'm going to try this one- you can't have too many cookie recipes! :)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.