Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dim Sum: Your Recipe, My Kitchen



I am not sure what I really made.  Are they dim sum?  Are they steamed pot stickers?  Are they gyoza?  I really don't know enough about real Asian food to know.  I took a recipe for pot stickers, changed it and then I steamed them in my bamboo steamer.  What does that make them?  We thought it made them delicious.  I think I will stick with Dim Sum because that means "snack."  It seems safe.
Dim Sum (third cousin once removed to this recipe on Cooking with the Junior League)
1 pound ground pork
1 package cole slaw mix
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 tsp Chinese 5 star spice
1 tsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp onion powder (because I had no scallions)
1 48 count package won ton wrappers
In a large bowl, thoroughly stir together all ingredients except the wrappers.  Spoon a small amount of filling onto the middle of each wrapper.  Dip your finger in water and moisten the edges of the wrappers.  Fold over one corner to the opposite corner and press together firmly.  Bring the opposite corners down to meet each other and press together again (the directions were on the wrapper package).  Put steamer on top of Dutch oven filled with boiling water over medium heat.  Steam the dim sum for 15 minutes in batches.    If you don't have a bamboo steamer, but you have a steamer insert for a pasta pot, you can use that instead.  Just spray it with PAM each time so the dim sum don't stick.

What's been cooking in your kitchen this week?  




27 comments:

Little Mommy, Big Appetite said...

Thanks for hosting! Enjoy the hot chocolate.. it is beyond wonderful! Have a great week!

Ann said...

Wow - they sound absolutely delicious! I love this sort of snack! I bet everyone loved it!

Blackswan said...

Hey Kristen, I'm impressed! Looks like those serve in restaurants :)

Prats Corner said...

Whatever they are called they are my favorites!!! Inviting dim sums with perfect coating :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Katerina said...

They look so cute and I am sure they tasted as great!Have a great week Kristen!

Anita Stafford said...

Thank you for hosting this week!

Not Your Ordinary Agent said...

dim sum=yum! we had this at my baby shower and i was hooked. you just reminded me how much i love dumplings. awesome. Not Your Ordinary Recipes

Ryan said...

These look SO good! I could eat dumplings by the truckload and need to try your recipe! They sound delicious!

Sandi G said...

Thinking out of the "snack" box, I like it. And such a lovely plate they're on-

Debi said...

Thank you for the opportunity to share my Apple, Jalapeno, Cheese Bites and Apple Pie Bread. Please join us for Thursday's Treasures. <3 and Hugs!

Tina said...

This is something I could eat a lot of, but never tried making them at home. After seeing this post, I want to give these a try-they do look tasty.

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

They look SO good - adventurous of you - and delicious
Mary x

Cake said...

Love the "third cousin" descriptor of the recipe. These look yummy!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

These look SO delicious! I should probably invest in a steamer so I can try these! :)

Erin said...

I need a steamer! My husband and I would love this! The filling sounds delicious!

Angie's Recipes said...

They are the steamed wontons to me. I like them in soup with some noodles for the lunch.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

These look so good! I love steamed wontons like this. I bet the filling is so tasty!

Lizzy said...

Whatever they are, your Asian treat sounds amazing!!!

Denise said...

Come check out my post, you got an award.

Tiffany said...

Call them what you want, they look amazing! :D

ray said...

I love this type of dumplings. Sometimes it's called Shu Mai. Dip it in soy sauce and some sriracha - yumm! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Elisabeth said...

Your "dim sum" looks really good. They're not even fried! I've never tried making these before. I'll have to do it for sure, now that I see how simple it can be.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Haha I'm not 100% sure, but when Japanese talk about gyoza, it's always fried and not steamed. I think these are called "dumplings" or "wontons"...You made all the wrappers so nicely! What a healthy and fulfilling dish! :-)

laurie said...

Whatever it's called it sure looks tasty!

kita said...

Who cares!? They look like they would disappear in a minute in this house. Pot stickers/dumplings/wontons - none of is lasts long here! These sound rocking :D

Blackswan said...

Hey Kristen, I'm back again! Sweetie, I've a little surprise for u @ Awards & Architectural Wonders Of Helsinki. Pls drop by to pick it up!

SARAPLICIOUS! said...

I'm Asian and I get confused with all of them. Regardless, looks delicious!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.