Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pie: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

This a recipe that I am going to have to redo.  I was in a hurry, didn't read the recipe right and over-baked it.  However, I think it has potential to be a great dessert.  Things I would do differently: not skimp on the crust....make a real one instead of a cheater graham cracker one; remember to write down the temperature and time for baking instead of winging it....this was the biggest failure of this baking adventure; use a liquid sweetener instead of brown sugar;  and finally use shredded, sweetened coconut instead of unsweetened flaked coconut....it was really the wrong texture for this.  I think the pie should have had more of a chess pie texture, but my results were way off.  I am not writing this recipe off, though, but will try again using the following recipe.
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pie (from Dying for Chocolate)
2 eggs
3/4 cup pure maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 unbaked pie shell
Mix filling ingredients and pour into pie shell.  Bake for 1 hour at 350.  Cool before serving.


Your turn!  Last week was the biggest group of recipes yet, thank you.  Feel free to link up anything you have made in your kitchen this last week.  Just remember, please, to link back to this blog.




21 comments:

Fallon said...

Oh yeah this has potential. I've made a chocolate chip cookie pie with with hazelnut liquor and chopped hazelnuts.. it was amazing!

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

The ingredients sound delicious - I have overcooked things myself so many times - easy to do but sounds like it could be scrumptious!
Mary

Mrs Happy Homemaker said...

I pinned this to try later - yum!!

Miz Helen said...

This is a great looking pie. Thanks for hosting and have a great week!
Miz Helen

Anita Stafford said...

Kristen, I think you are right, try the pie again. The recipe sounds good! I have shared a couple of things. Thanks for hosting!

SnoWhite said...

The recipe reminds me of my mom's travel bars -- which we LOVE. I would try again ... bet it's really delicious.

ping said...

Love choc chip cookies! Love pies! 2 in 1 .. perfect!

ping said...

Whoops! First time joining in the links here and I think I messed up. The name of the post came out as my name instead. :P Sorry.

Sue said...

Even though it didn't turn turn out just as you wanted, I'm sure I would have no problem finishing it off:) I'm sure next time(with the changes)it will be fabulous!

Tiffanee said...

Yum! This looks delicious!!

Ann said...

The pie looks tasty anyway - but I agree, it has the potential to be great! I'm glad you posted it anyway! I

expatmammy said...

it still look absolutely yummy, think I'll give this one a whirl

Rosann said...

I'm thinking this dessert has serious potential in our home. We all love cookies, so I gotta think we'll all love something like a cookie pie! It looks delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe and what you'd change about it. :)

Blessings,
Rosann
*vB members to remember

Kathy said...

This sound wonderul and something that my kids would love!!! Thanks for a great recipe!!!

Susan Lindquist said...

Wow, Kristen! Another fantastic line-up of posts! I haven't been here in a while, but you've got to try this cake that I found on Mary's site!

And your pie? Wow! Is it a crumble, a pie, or a chocoholic's dream come true? Oh wait! All three! ;-)

I'm NOT a VOLCANO! said...

Yeah- not gonna lie, it kind of looks disgusting. but then, i dont' like chocolate chips, coconut OR oatmeal. So maybe just not my dessert. However, you have a LOT off really great looking recipes here on your blog and in that linky! My mouth is watering over some of them!

Here from voiceboks.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Hi! I'm joining this week with a dish I plan on making Friday for my family. Your dessert looks delicious! Great blog!

cookingvarieties said...

hi kristen, thanks for those tips, they are very useful for me.
am glad you made it for the love of chocolates :)

Ryan said...

It sounds and looks wonderful. Thanks for posting the tips on how you'd make this next time. This sounds like a recipe that I'd really love-- such a great comfort dessert. Anything with a graham cracker crust and I'm there! :)

Prathima Rao said...

The pie looks fine & super tempting to me!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Mikaela Cowles said...

I think one of the best things about blogging is out honest mishaps. Thank you so much for sharing evaluating!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.