Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Orange Rolls: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

I have a thing for oranges and yeast dough.  I think they are a match made in Heaven.  That little zing of zest, that soft bread.  I may just have to go out to my kitchen and bake after I write this...I am making myself hungry!
I have been on the lookout for the perfect orange roll.  Long ago, I mean ages and ages ago, I bookmarked this orange roll recipe  from Get Off Your Butt and Bake!  In fact, it's been so long that Jonna, the author, has a new url now.  Go here to see her new blog.  She didn't import all of her old stuff to the new blog, so you may want to visit both places.  This is definitely a great roll.  Now if I could just find an orange bread recipe I like....
Orange Rolls (taken from Get Off Your Butt and Bake!)
dough:
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten slightly
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp yeast 
1/4 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
4 cups flour 
filling: 
6 Tbsp butter, melted
zest from 1 orange
1/2 cup sugar
glaze: 
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp room temperature butter
juice of 1 orange
Warm sour cream, orange juice and butter in the microwave until butter is almost melted.  Stir warm mixture until butter completely melts.  Add sugar, salt and eggs.  In a small bowl, combine yeast and water and let sit until bubbly.  Add yeast to sugar  mixture.  Stir in flour and knead until smooth.  Cover bowl and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).  Punch down dough, roll out on a floured surface into a large rectangle.  Spread it with 6 Tbsp butter, then the sugar and zest.  Roll up jelly-roll style and slice into rolls.  Place in greased pans, cover and let rise until double again.  Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes before glazing (or the glaze will just slide right off the rolls).  To make the glaze, mash the butter into the powdered sugar with a spoon or beat in with a mixer.  Slowly add the orange juice until the glaze reaches the desired consistency.  Spread on rolls and EAT!

Your turn!  Feel free to grab a Your Recipe, My Kitchen button over on my right sidebar.  What did you make in your kitchen this week??




37 comments:

Christine's Pantry said...

Looks wonderful! Yum!

Martha said...

Oh no. My mouth is watering and I think I smell those orange rolls baking. Mmm!

Anita Stafford said...

Those orange rolls sound wonderful, gotta try those! I have shared Rocky Road Cheesecake and Mint Chocolate Cupcakes. Thank you for hosting!

raquel erecipe said...

This orageroll is best for my breakfast yummy =)

wok with ray said...

I would love to eat this just right after the topping's poured. Thanks for sharing the post.

~ ray ~

Blackswan said...

Hi Kristen, I’m Back From Finland, Arriving With Mr Angry Bird!

It's really wonderful to be greeted by such a tangy recipe & to see all the links. Well done :)

May said...

Thanks for hosting, and thanks for linking up in exposure 99% weekday hop. Following back.

Miz Helen said...

Your Rolls look amazing! Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful week!
Miz Helen

Karen Dawkins said...

I love orange in baking -- yeast or no yeast! We made an orange-cream cheese quick bread this weekend, though it tasted more like orange pound cake (who's complaining?!?!?!?) YUM!!! I look forward to trying this recipe and have it marked for this weekend :)
Thanks,
Karen

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I love orange in baking too, and those orange rolls look fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing them, and for hosting Your Recipe, My Kitchen.

Gifts By Katherine said...

one word..YUM
Hugs and VB♥

Katherines Corner said...

oh that does look wonderful. Thank you for the linky, Hugs!

Rebecca Hawkes said...

I really shouldn't be doing my VB comments on my lunch break ... before eating my lunch. I am so hungry and these look soooo good! :-)

Julie said...

Sounds amazingly delicious....wish someone would have made these for me this morning.ha!

Robyn Rasmussen said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment! I am excited to link my recipe! And those Orange rolls look sooooo good!
-Robyn from http://tipsfromtheheart.blogspot.com

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

I would get out of bed for these - or maybe I would rather eat them in bed! either way - they look the ultimate comfort food!
Mary

Ann said...

OMG - I JUST wrote down a recipe similar to this as my alternative for cinnamon rolls....talk about brilliant minds thinking alike! These look incredible and I KNOW everyone loved them!

Tori @ The Shiksa in the Kitchen said...

These look awesome!!

Tiffanee said...

Oh reminds me of my college days. My roommate used to make these and they were pure comfort food. Good memories. I so need to make these! Thanks!

cookingvarieties said...

hi kristen, i love anything with oranges in them, this one smells good and fresh i reckon..
from your ingredients and photos, i feel they are delicious

Kim - Liv Life said...

I'm with you! I remember my mom making rolls like this and I also remember being so excited when we could smell them cooking. That orange frosting just does me in! Great recipe!

Erin said...

Apparently I have been missing out - I have never tried orange and yeast stuff together. These rolls looks oh so delicious!

Tina said...

Orange is a wonderful change from cinnamon rolls! Not that many people bake orange flavored cakes or pastries, so I am glad you posted this. Your picture is very enticing. Great post!

mywanderingspoon said...

Sounds delicious....for me bread dessert is special:)

RavieNomNoms said...

Wow!! Those look amazing...I love orange cinnamon rolls. I used to have them when I was younger.

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen said...

Kristen, wow! Just look at that fluffy light crumb. Can't resist orange. Great mouthwatering photos.

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny said...

WOW these look amazing!!! What a great choice for SRC, hope to get your blog soon! :)

Happy When Not Hungry said...

Wow! I would definitely eat this entire batch. They look amazing!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

these rolls sound delicious!

Lizzy said...

These are my hubby's favorite rolls! Yours look fabulous~

Steph said...

I so want one of these right now!!

Kim Bee said...

Oh wow, this look so good. I could eat the whole batch for sure.

May said...

Thanks for hosting, i like finding new recipes and this is just it.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great week..

Mary said...

Oh my word, Kristin, these sound fantastic. I would love to be eating one (or three) of these right now!

Heather said...

omg, I am so hungry right now and these look soooo good...

kita said...

I wasn't hungry until I came to this post - then my tummy was all grumbling out loud! These rolls look awesome.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

If I hadn't finished making cinnamon buns like three hours ago, I would SO jealous right now! They look delicious!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.