Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cornbread Chicken Casserole

Walking down the flour aisle in the grocery store is a lot different in Florida compared to anywhere in the West.  I have shopped in just about every state from the Rocky Mountains west and let me tell you, nothing prepared me for the vast array of products that I have found here.  Not only are there the usual brands: Gold Medal, Pillsbury, King Arthur and generic, but there are at least another three or four independent brands, too.  And the cornmeal!  Whereas I was used to maybe one or two brands in a small portion of one shelf, here there is a six foot section from top to bottom!  Cornmeal, self-rising cornmeal, cornbread mix of all sorts and sizes.  Don't even get me started on the crumb coatings!  Shake -N-Bake is nothing compare to the abundant offerings I seen recently.  I have been like a kid in a candy store, or better stated, a baker in the flour aisle!

So, I bought a few different bags of cornmeal.  We love cornbread and corn muffins, so I knew we would have no trouble eating it.  A while ago, I made up some cornbread from a bag of self rising cornmeal.  I doubled the recipe and made two pans so we could eat the leftovers with honey.  I put them in the oven, set the timer for the amount of time the recipe called for and then I may or may not have left the house to pick up my kids from school while it was baking and I may or may not have forgotten it was in the oven.

The cornbread was a tad dry.

So I had an entire pan left that no one really wanted to eat.  Not being one to throw out food, I did a little research in my cookbooks and found a recipe that used leftover cornbread in one of my Taste of Home annuals.  This delicious casserole saved the day.  Next time, I would serve it with gravy.

Cornbread Chicken Casserole (adapted from Taste of Home)
1 8x8 pan cornbread, cut into cubes
4-6 slices bread, cut into cubes
3 cups chopped, cooked chicken (I used 3 hind quarters)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
 1 cup shredded cheese for the top (I used string cheese ~because that was what was handy)
Combine all ingredients except the cheese.  Spread the mixture out into a grease 9X13 pan, top with the cheese and bake for 20 minutes at 350 or until heated through.  


Belinda @zomppa said...

Gravy can make almost anything that much better.

Sue said...

Mmmm, this looks like chicken fried steak, only better!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

It reminds me of Thanksgiving!

Ann said...

It looks delicious - I love sage in any sort of poultry/stuffing dish! It would have gone perfectly in the sandwich I posted today! It's amazing how many flours and corn meals there are. Here in the South they take their biscuits and corn bread seriously!

Have you gone to the local restaurants where they ask you if you want biscuit or cornbread? There's a few we haunt that always ask that (tell them you want both).

Great post and read!

Prathima Rao said...

A nice homely & deeeelicious recipe!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Joanne said...

Damn, your grocery stores sounds way better stocked than some of the ones in NYC! (Seriously...I couldn't find thai red curry paste the other day. Weird.) I love anything with cornbread...this sounds delicious!

Emily Malloy said...


BigBearswife said...

ooo Cornbread Chicken Casserole! This looks like a great meal!

Julie @ Pickles and I Scream said...

Take out the chicken chunks and cheese and that's the recipe my Momma uses for stuffing/dressing. So yummy!

Erin said...

I am not always a fan of casseroles, but this one sounds delicious. I will be saving this for the fall!

Monet said...

Delicious. I love casseroles and I've been on a cornbread fix lately. Thank you for making me smile and my stomach growl. I hope you are having a wonderful evening, my friend. Love from Austin.

expatmammy said...

looks delicious I'm always looking for new ways to jaz up chicken. yum

Michelle said...

Sounds good and I'm with you on the not wanting to throw food out! And, yes, southerners like their corn products! LOL
Stopping in from
Heartfelt Balance Handmade Life

Rosann said...

Yum!! Confession time. I've never cooked with cornmeal. At least not from scratch where I had to buy actual cornmeal. I have made cornbread from a box, if that counts. (I know...I need to get better at baking from family would probably enjoy it much more! LOL!) And this post reminded me that I forgot to take something out of the freezer to thaw for dinner tonight. Eeeek! Looks like we'll be having pizza or sandwiches tonight. But I definitely want to try out this recipe.


Eileen said...

What a great recipe. I just made cornbread but it got eaten rather quickly so I get busy and make some more. Thanks for sharing such a great idea!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

YUMMY! This looks great, I love using sage in stuffing. This is a wonderful recipe to kick off the fall!

The Mom Chef said...

Comfort food! Yes, I feel fall in the air with this recipe. It's perfect for the start of football season. Being in the south, we have a lot of different corn meal on the shelves too. It's as much for cornbread as it is for hushpuppies though. :)

mywanderingspoon said...

Love, the post and your saying that you were feeling like a kid in the candy true....Great dish for upcoming colder weather:)

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen said...

Good save! I hate wasting food and this casserole was a really inventive way of using up the cornbread.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.